Clams/ mussels in Sosua/Puerto Plata area

joe

Brain Donor!
Jan 12, 2016
Do you have any idea where they harvest the bi-valves from??????????? HA...HA

May 29, 2006
Yes but who knows how fresh and good those mussels are. I see guys wlaking with a fish on a pole under the sun the whole day thinking it is fresh...

The oysters/bivalves are fine as long as they are closed. They open as soon as they die. Almost all mussels are farmed from Prince Edward Island in North America. We used to buy them fresh for $9/half bushel and got 15 $14 appetizers out of them the last time I cooked them.

Dominican like lambi and oysters. Anything else is going to imported and likely frozen, which turns them into leather.

Now I want some New England style chowder..

jd426

Gold
Dec 12, 2009
The oysters/bivalves are fine as long as they are closed. They open as soon as they die. Almost all mussels are farmed from Prince Edward Island in North America. We used to buy them fresh for $9/half bushel and got 15 $14 appetizers out of them the last time I cooked them.

Dominican like lambi and oysters. Anything else is going to imported and likely frozen, which turns them into leather.

Since you seem to know your Clams, and shellfish...
Can you tell us why Dominican Lambi can make one violently Sick ( and for those who know what im talking about, its really really bad, like 2 days of hell)

Anyway,
and yet in the states I Can eat " scungilli" at any Italian restaurant with NO Problem whatsoever.
Is it how they clean them? freshness ?

jstarebel

Silver
Oct 4, 2013
you can get a dozen en malecon Puerto plata for 50 pesos...I wont buy from the old guy in Sosua he asks too much and who knows how long they have been in his basket, I have never seen him sell any

The kiosks on the malec?n is where we usually get them. they are in a plastic box cooled with ice. At least the ones we always get are. They are small but very tasty. he also sells Lambi.

jstarebel

Silver
Oct 4, 2013

Substitute lambi for the cams. Make a pot with some fresh bread and feast!

Garyexpat

Bronze
Sep 7, 2012
I love fresh oysters, clams shrimp etc. but I don't understand people eating them out of some guy's box walking down the beach or worse yet street in any one of these beach towns. I won't eat oysters from any but the best restaurants in the states or Europe. I would NEVER trust them here.
Case in point. I am at plan B one day enjoying a morning coffee when I see the local oyster "shuckster" stop at the trash can across the street, pick through his treasure of oysters and toss some in the trash. First of all, I would NEVER have purchased raw (or any other) oysters from him, but as I watch him pick through the oysters and deposit some in the trash I realize that if I was naive enough to buy from him 10 minutes prior I most likely would have purchased those that he had just disposed of.
I love seafood BUT you better be careful from whence they come.

Meemselle

Just A Few Words
Oct 27, 2014
I love fresh oysters, clams shrimp etc. but I don't understand people eating them out of some guy's box walking down the beach or worse yet street in any one of these beach towns. I won't eat oysters from any but the best restaurants in the states or Europe. I would NEVER trust them here.
Case in point. I am at plan B one day enjoying a morning coffee when I see the local oyster "shuckster" stop at the trash can across the street, pick through his treasure of oysters and toss some in the trash. First of all, I would NEVER have purchased raw (or any other) oysters from him, but as I watch him pick through the oysters and deposit some in the trash I realize that if I was naive enough to buy from him 10 minutes prior I most likely would have purchased those that he had just disposed of.
I love seafood BUT you better be careful from whence they come.

I have a friend in the restaurant biz. I have accompanied him on purchasing runs. I have seen the place in Sosua where the bivalves are harvested. He does not buy from there, gracias a Dios. I have never seen anything filthier. As in one toe in the water: instant amoebas.

Meemselle

Just A Few Words
Oct 27, 2014
Local oysters can be good. The difference between the lesser and the better ones is where they were harvested. They are harvested in mangrove areas. They are harvested in areas where sweetwater meets saltwater. The oysters that are harvested in an area where the saltwater prevails over the sweet water are better than the oysters that grew in an area where there is more sweetwater than saltwater.

Hmmmm. Clamps? Is there something you're not sharing????? Inquiring minds need to know.

Jul 28, 2014
I have a friend in the restaurant biz. I have accompanied him on purchasing runs. I have seen the place in Sosua where the bivalves are harvested. He does not buy from there, gracias a Dios. I have never seen anything filthier. As in one toe in the water: instant amoebas.

Where are they harvested from out of curiosity?

Ecoman1949

Born to Ride.
Oct 17, 2015
Do you have any idea where they harvest the bi-valves from??????????? HA...HA

Crustaceans, mussels, clams, lobsters, etc., are filter feeders. They take minute amounts of food in their bodies and digest it very slowly. They do the same with toxins, naturally occurring and man made ones like fecal coliform from untreated sewage discharged into the ocean coastal areas. The toxins build up in their tissue over time and they can cause major stomach problems or death in the case of some neurotoxins. In Canada and the USA, any shellfish taken from areas with no sewage treatment have to be depurated, flushed for a specified period of time and then analyzed before going to market. I don't know if any such regulations exist in the DR. In my coastline explorations in the DR, I have observed rivers contaminated with raw sewage from people and animals flowing directly into the ocean. Local people can develop a tolerance to low level toxins over time, however, foreigners can be hit pretty hard by low level toxins. A lot of shellfish is eaten fresh and the risk of toxin poisoning is greater. Before I'd eat any shellfish in the DR, I'd have to be certain of where it is collected and how it is handled after collection. I live in Atlantic Canada and I've been spoiled by the abundance of safe delicious oysters, mussels, clams, etc., and our cold water lobster is far superior in taste to the warm water langouste available in the DR. BUYER BEWARE!

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
Regulations in the DR regarding food? Check on the fecal matter in DR salami lately?

Jul 28, 2014
lobsters, etc., are filter feeders.

Since when are lobsters filter feeders? I thought you are from the East Coast? Must be a newfie...

Lobsters eat crabs, clams, mussels, starfish, smaller fish, and sometimes even other lobsters. A lobster does have teeth — but they are not in its mouth, they are in its stomach. The food is chewed in the stomach between by what look like three molars. These are called the “gastric mill”.

Ecoman1949

Born to Ride.
Oct 17, 2015
Since when are lobsters filter feeders? I thought you are from the East Coast? Must be a newfie...

Lobsters eat crabs, clams, mussels, starfish, smaller fish, and sometimes even other lobsters. A lobster does have teeth ? but they are not in its mouth, they are in its stomach. The food is chewed in the stomach between by what look like three molars. These are called the ?gastric mill?.

My mistake Amigo. Should have separated out lobsters from filter feeders. I make mistakes when I post without wearing my fricken bi-focals. Hate them. The issue with lobsters is picking up toxins from eating crustaceans or living in the coastal zones near sewer pitfalls where they like to live because of the free food source. In Atlantic Canada some fishermen set their lobster pots near sewer out falls. Yummy!

Bronxboy

Jul 11, 2007
This thread is about clams/mussels NOT lobsters.

Please STOP IT...................................

lobster-king-1024x941.jpg

lol

hahahahahahahahahahaha

Meemselle

Just A Few Words
Oct 27, 2014
Where are they harvested from out of curiosity?

One of the places is in Charamicos. There used to be a pueblo there but they had to move it because it's below a cliff and every time it rained, it would flood, so the whole village was moved. I had some pictures from there, but I think I deleted them.

Jul 28, 2014
One of the places is in Charamicos. There used to be a pueblo there but they had to move it because it's below a cliff and every time it rained, it would flood, so the whole village was moved. I had some pictures from there, but I think I deleted them.

Are you referring to down by where Sosua river comes out the ocean?