Claro Codetel and the way they treat their paying customers

MikeFisher

The Fisherman/Weather Mod
Feb 28, 2006
Punta Cana/DR
www.mikefisher.fun
Chiri,
we are actually 4v friends with internet sticks/usb sticks in the residencialhere in cabeza de toro, like at your place, no Claro landline available for the internet and phone and TV services here.
my own stick i have since mid december last year, it is on contract, not prepaid, i pay 2041 pesos per month, i am very happy with the service, always up and running, yes, it has it slower times, too, but til now it runs and works, one neighbour has the Viva stick, 200 pesos cheaper per month, he has to look for a good signal at sevreal spots around, but at his hhouse and the same on my veranda he gets the signal and it works nice, a lil difference is that to use his stick in a different computer he needs to install the software from a Cd first, while my stick has the software on its SIM card, just plug into a new computer or laptop and a minute later its running, and the other 2 friends have the Claro stick as a prepaid connection like your one, both have exactly the same trouble like you have, even when sitting here at my place side by side with the laptops mine stays connected while there's once in a while goes down or seems to have slower connectivity.
i guess, but that's just my guess due observations and i am not a technical expert on that at all, i guess the prepaid sticks are connected different than the ones on a contract.

in case of payments to the agnets/shops i agree completely to the above written, i usually paid my internet bill and my Claro contract bill at a shop at the Palma Real Shoppin center, simply because right in front of that shop is also a Orange shop where i could pay the Bill for my Wife's Orange phone at the same time/sweep. and more than once it came out that i checked my phone bill days after the payment online and it still showed up as not-paid. since then i pay my claro bills at their mainoffice at the Veron crossing and the payments show up at the same moment you do them, because they type your bill/payment straight into the system. i tested it twice now, paid at the office, left the office and right there on the parking place i open the laptop, connet to my online account and yep, the bill been both times actualized/payment shown there as done.
i guess like written above there is a sometimes several days delay between payments at a agent/shop and the real receipt of payment in the system. very annoying, yes.
Mike

DR Mpe

Banned
Mar 31, 2003
You are so wrong!
Claro Codetel | Facebook

Before Verizon owned it, it was owned by GTE, and before that Qubec Tel. see the trend . Qubec Tel bought by GTE, GTE/Bell Atlantic merger = Verizon. Verizon sold to Carlos, inorder to obtain MCI shares owned by Carlos. Was never a damage to the trademarks before now.

For many years CODETEL was a cash cow, back in the early nineties the exchange rate was 6rd to 1us, rate to call the USA was 15rd a min. CODETEL made money hand over fist, and as equipment was replaced in the US, was shipped here. Or tried here first then moved to the US.

Thats why the communications here beat the rest of Latin America and half of Europe. It does not now beat most of Europe but then it did, still beats most of Latin America. FAX, BEEPER, DIRECT DIAL, NO OPERATOR INTERVENTION ETC, was all available here in 80s and early 90s. Its the only non US protectorate in the Antilles that has an area code instead of country and city dialing codes. As new stuff was introduced in the US, also introduced here.

expect it to get worse under Carlos. He will milk it dry an get rid of it. Remains to be seen what he does with PRTC, and CANTV. which he was also sold by Verizon, as part of the deal.

Codetel sucked in every sense 7-8 years ago... and about ur other statements...well Monopoly usually do quite well and I think u r brainwashed by the Dominican Pravda. Congrats to 12 (twelve) friends on Facebook for CODETEL.

Last edited:
Reactions: MikeFisher

MikeFisher

Feb 28, 2006
Punta Cana/DR
www.mikefisher.fun
Codetel sucked in every sense 7-8 years ago... and about ur other statements...well Monopoly usually do quite well and I think u r brainwashed by the Dominican Pravda. Congrats to 12 (twelve) friends on Facebook for CODETEL.

heck,
it's 12!!! now?
that's skyrocked high.
much higher popularity than awaited, lol.
Mike

dogstar

Oct 24, 2004
rental

I have a line idem on my Codetel phone bill for RD$ 300. rental. Thats every month, anyone have any idea whats thats for, trying to get someone at thier office who speaks English and has the answer is next to imposiable. It's like ' why do Gringos aways question everthing, your giving me a headbust'.

dogstar

Oct 24, 2004
rental

I have a line idem on my Codetel phone bill for RD$ 300. rental. Thats every month, anyone have any idea whats thats for, trying to get someone at thier office who speaks English and has the answer is next to imposiable.
It's like ' why do Gringos aways question everthing, your giving me a headbust'.

MikeFisher

Feb 28, 2006
Punta Cana/DR
www.mikefisher.fun
what kinda connection do you have?
landline, prepaid cellphone rental or a postpaid = billed cellphone number?
what are the spanish words written on the line where the 300 pesos show up on your bill?
or if you want, scan that bill in, black out your name and total amount and phone number etc, just visible the questioned part, and send it to me on my PM or e-mail and i will take a look and let you know what it means.
Mike

bienamor

Kansas redneck an proud of it
Apr 23, 2004
what kinda connection do you have?
landline, prepaid cellphone rental or a postpaid = billed cellphone number?
what are the spanish words written on the line where the 300 pesos show up on your bill?
or if you want, scan that bill in, black out your name and total amount and phone number etc, just visible the questioned part, and send it to me on my PM or e-mail and i will take a look and let you know what it means.
Mike

same here if you want help.

bienamor

Kansas redneck an proud of it
Apr 23, 2004

not brain washed just worked for GTE here and US. called first hand knowledge
also the facebook wiki pickup which you did not read is
Claro Codetel - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
it still beats most of LA. will continue to go down hill under carlos.

Donna Waters

Nov 18, 2009
Hi. I get internet from my cable company, and it's great. I get the slowest connection for $17US/mo. and it is as fast as my connection at home in Canada. The cable company is De Lancer.

DMV123

Bronze
Mar 31, 2010
Hi. I get internet from my cable company, and it's great. I get the slowest connection for $17US/mo. and it is as fast as my connection at home in Canada. The cable company is De Lancer.

And how does that help in the DR??????

Got it - I posted right after this one....:speechles

DMV123

Bronze
Mar 31, 2010
Now I understand it. I just get confused when the thread is about Punta Cana connections and we jump in with Sosua. I guess more info is better? Hell if I know...

Chirimoya

Dec 9, 2002
As I said, this type of wireless 'stick' is our only option right now (apart from satellite, as suggested by a poster in a PM) because there is no landline.

We had an antenna wireless connection from Bectel for over a year before the company went belly-up.

De Lancer is a north coast company and their service doesn't extend to the eastern region, as far as I know.

MikeFisher

Feb 28, 2006
Punta Cana/DR
www.mikefisher.fun
right,
i would not know them down here, first time i read their name here on the bord.
17 bucks a month for a connection?
darn Chiri,
may be it is time for us to move to the other side of the isle, ha ha.
i've been with bectel myself for many years, i've been one of their first customers here,always been satisfied, expensive but reliable/quick/great customers service.
then a year before they went belly up they started to go down, customers service been a hit and miss first and non excistend during the last many months. i cancelled them in december and a few weeks afterwards i heard they went belly up. lucky choice of mine on time, lol.
since then i am on the above mentioned Claro stick, it works and it is much cheaper than the Bectel connection was, but of course there is a bunch of space for improvement to say it softly.
i spent earlier this month 3 weeks in germany, the simple internet connection i have there at the house costs less than converted 1000 pesos a month, always available, compared to here extremely quick.
yep,
not available for a contract down here.
i just hope my stick stays on this week without failures whatsoever,
tomorrow afternoon i will move with boat and crew to Cap cana to fish the 2010 cap cana Intl Billfish Shootout, til now my stick works til 8-10nmls offshore/15+ kilometers, and i really look forward to post reports and fotos life from on board when ever the fishies leave me a break.
sure i would wish the fishies would not leave me any break all week long, lol.
Mike

MikeFisher

Feb 28, 2006
Punta Cana/DR
www.mikefisher.fun
J.D.,
Chiri has a pre pago connected stick, like a pre-paid cellphone using pre paid phonecards.
you have a connection with a contract like my own is, too, we get a bill.
and right, i never wait til i receive the bill, several bills for internet or my phoneplan i never received, i know both bills are due to be paid at the beginning of each month so always around the 8th-12th each month i step by their mainoffice, tell them both account numbers, and pay that bill.
the prepaid connections have a bit of a weird system to me, if i understood it right from the neighbours they can not pay their bill much ahead of time, no real PREpayment accepted.
cheers
Mike

belgiank

Silver
Jun 13, 2009
well... I have posted my experiences with claro here before, and they were not positive...

the La Vega office is a real nightmare (I honestly believe that, in order to become a manager at one of the offices, you have to be, first of all female, and secondly to be of the dragon kind....)... so I gave up on that one... and went to the Santiago main office...

What a relief... there is this nice, young guy, perfectly bilingual, who actually tries to help you... (mind you, he will prob get fired for doing so, in the very near future)

he has solved multiple issues for us, even got us a contract for a blackberry to be used as modem, without the ridicously financial check-up...

he has gotten us the promise of a special router to enhance our banda ancha signal (should have arrived at their office in a week, and now a month later still has not...)

sad thing though... when I jokingly told him he should apply for the job of manager at the La Vega office, he quite sincerely told me this was not an option, as he did not have the right friends????