Claro GSM VS Orange GSM

POP Bad Boy

Bronze
Jun 27, 2004
I may have to eat my words.......how about you AZB...?

When the new GSM system came out in claro, my old CDMA phone began to malfunction. missed calls and low ,signal. Now that I have GSM from claro, all my problems are solved.
AZB

From my postings here, I thought the same.............Until the end of last week. I started to notice the following with my CHANGED Claro phone number from CDMA to GSM:

1. NO SERVICE light going on and off when in highly populated areas such as "central park" in POP and "downtown" Santiago.........only improving in Santiago when going beyond the Pricesmart area and the Rotunda toward Puerto Plata...

2. Date and time which downloads from Verizon sometimes changing from 2007 to either 2013 or 2014 which ends up sending me hundreds of "reminders" stored in my data, of things I have to do from now til either 2013 or 2014.....

3. Constant busy tones when trying to call out (a very soft low busy signal.....you can just about hear it)......

4. Sometimes a full signal and when I receive calls it goes right to voice mail and then I get "text messages" from Verizon telling me I just missed 14 calls with one text for each phone number and then another text which says "4444"....

NOW I SAY BOTH ORANGE AND CLARO SUCK!!!!

.........and when I call service, they constantly "try" to help by telling me that they have done something to my service and to turn the phone off and wait 3 minutes and turn it back on................I really think they just do that so that they can tell their co-workers: "Hey, I just told some stupid Gringo to turn his phone off and back on.............like he thinks we are going to do something!!" (In spanish of course)

I think NOW they are selling too many "sims" and that the system can't handle the number of phones using GSM.........:eek:gre:

STIOP

Jun 11, 2004
I've had a Claro Pre-Paid for 3 years now and needed to change it because the calling card buying was disintegrating my pocket.. soooo...

When i heard claro was going to provide GSM service i decided to pull the trigger.........

I got a Sony Ericsson K790a with a Claro 320 plan (320 minutes at 1,240 pesos with taxes included).

Excellent phone, spent more than a month researching it. Also... the plan pays the same as the orange 300 minute plan...... On top of that i got it for the fathers day special so i get 500 minutes on top of my monthly minutes for the next 4 months.......

Regarding the signal thing, i just went from my home in Santiago to Maimon to get some Marisco love and the signal was FULL all the way there while my girls orange phone was not working.

In my humble experience so far the GSM Claro thing is working for me, especially since i had to spend almost double with the pre paids getting half the minutes........

Well Saludos para mi familia DR1 desde Santiago....

STIOP

Feb 7, 2007
Some new phones can't be hacked as of now so you probably won't be able to use claro sim card if the phone is locked to verizon.
AZB

All phones can be unlocked, if the person unlocking them knows HOW and does nto damage the phone. My L7 bought at Orange last December had to be unlocked by some timepoint or checkpoint method, and it cost me RD$1000 inctead of usual 300-400 for regular unlocks. Same goes for KRZR (K1), SLVR(L7), RAZR(V3) and other similar Motorola phones.

I bought a new silver KRZR K1 off Amazon a few weeks ago for a very good price and had it EPSed. (It was about 40% less, with all EPS charges and aduana duties, than one purchased at Orange with prepaid card).

Feb 7, 2007
From my postings here, I thought the same.............Until the end of last week. I started to notice the following with my CHANGED Claro phone number from CDMA to GSM:

1. NO SERVICE light going on and off when in highly populated areas such as "central park" in POP and "downtown" Santiago.........only improving in Santiago when going beyond the Pricesmart area and the Rotunda toward Puerto Plata...

2. Date and time which downloads from Verizon sometimes changing from 2007 to either 2013 or 2014 which ends up sending me hundreds of "reminders" stored in my data, of things I have to do from now til either 2013 or 2014.....

3. Constant busy tones when trying to call out (a very soft low busy signal.....you can just about hear it)......

4. Sometimes a full signal and when I receive calls it goes right to voice mail and then I get "text messages" from Verizon telling me I just missed 14 calls with one text for each phone number and then another text which says "4444"....

NOW I SAY BOTH ORANGE AND CLARO SUCK!!!!
Same with Orange... signal goes off in populated areas, such as downtown Romana. Sometimes I almost have to hit downtown San pedro to get signal.

Busy tones when calling or "network busy".

Many incoming calls go to voicemail when I am in the area with full signal, sometimes have to power off/on the phone when I spot that.

Myself calling other Oranges sometimes I have to dial 3-4 times to get through, as I am also being passed to voicemail.

Only 2014/2014 is not on the menu with Orange.

So both Claro and Orange are about the same. They both suck, I agree.

Feb 7, 2007
What is Claro charging for a SIM card prepagado?

tambo'

It is $290 with $100 credit. Also, note, that according to the Claro dealer, you cannot activate Claro GSM without a cedula. The system right now accepts only CEDULA numbers as identification when opening new Claro GSM account. That's different from Claro CDMA, where the dealer will even take a library card as your form of ID.