Clubbing in Santo Domingo

rafael

Bronze
Jan 2, 2002
www.dr-tourist.tv
I have a hard time keeping up with skin color shades. Just doesn't matter to me. Negros o prietos there aren't a high percentage of, white either. The majority are one of the seemingly unlimited shades in between.

Couldn't even tell you if my wife was india or morenita clara. Also i can take two pictures of her and in one she will look much lighter than the other.

On avenida venezuela you will see less white dominicans and in the higher end places you will see less morenos.

I actually miss going to more local places. For the las few years we have been more likely to head out to nice restaurants or bars to see live jazz or blues. We recently went to la ceniza, and I realized how much I missed drinking grandes while seated at plastic tables! Next stop, Teleoferta!!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
It's really a good place..... no sandals & socks

Mamma's is the place where the car guy tried to get me for 200 pesos on the street.
I parked it myself and he shadowed me when leaving....

gave him 50 and he said, No 200.... gave 50 more nad drove away

Mamma's-
no dance floor, just dance where you are with whoever is around you...

Way more F's than M's........... packed.
Costly, but SD is a different animal........... I'm from the farm

AlterEgo

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
South Coast
But most people in the DR are lightskin right? Okay there are some variations, but I havent seen alot of ?darkskin?, but the ?typical dominican skin color? looks like Dania Ramirez.

Chinatown, I realize you're new here and are probably unaware that one of the no-no's on DR1 is the discussion of race.

Chinatown

Sep 11, 2015
RE:
Mamma Place

It was the concierge at Laurel that put me on to Mamma's.

A very good place near the Club...... lots of action.

I have a very savvy friend who drags me to these places..... by the ear

What about dress codes?
The DR is HOT, can you enter with shorts in clubs?

Tamborista

hasta la tambora
Apr 4, 2005
What about dress codes?
The DR is HOT, can you enter with shorts in clubs?

NOOOOOOO!!!!!!
If you want to "blend in", wear nice pressed jeans / chinos and ironed collared shirt, no loud prints, and polished shoes!

shorts

Dec 3, 2012
Look at the sites I sent you. In the club photos, do you see anyone wearing shorts?

In any decent club in the WORLD do you see anyone wearing shorts?

OP you're probably best off with the party scene in Cabarete, where you can wear shorts and flipflops all day long. If you go to one of the higher end places in Santo Domingo you'll get cleaned out by a hardened chapi on your first night.

Chinatown

Sep 11, 2015
In any decent club in the WORLD do you see anyone wearing shorts?

OP you're probably best off with the party scene in Cabarete, where you can wear shorts and flipflops all day long. If you go to one of the higher end places in Santo Domingo you'll get cleaned out by a hardened chapi on your first night.

Haha, nah I like to dress fly. Just wanted to double check if?s a high end club.

Criss Colon

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
yahoomail.com
Sounds and looks good.

What does ?chopos? and ?chapiadoras? mean?

Gente Rica means Rich people?

Slightly offtopic,

Is there a relation with color and status in Santo Domingo?
Like in Brazil most ?white brazilians? are richer than the ?pardos? and ?blacks?

Now roughly 90% is black/mulatto so I guess in the DR there is no relation with monety and skin color?

You "GUESSED" Wrong!!!!!!

CCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCC

Jul 28, 2014
Going along with CCCCCC's input, where you can best notice the difference, is if you go to an A.I. hotel, you will notice the Camareras are dark/no English speaking, waitstaff, a little less dark, some English, Front Desk folks and Managers, fairly light coloured/English speaking...

the gorgon

Platinum
Sep 16, 2010
Going along with CCCCCC's input, where you can best notice the difference, is if you go to an A.I. hotel, you will notice the Camareras are dark/no English speaking, waitstaff, a little less dark, some English, Front Desk folks and Managers, fairly light coloured/English speaking...

in other words, you are not going to find the rubias mopping the kitchen floor.

Dolores1

DR1
May 3, 2000
www.
Santo Domingo is all about locals… there are few tourists.
Foreigners who live here quickly become locals.

Forget color… DR is every day more becoming more mixed…

Check out places in the Colonial City…

Alpargateria, a tapas bar, is very popular with the young people…
Calle Salom? Ure?a casi esquina Duarte. Zona Colonial

You can show up in shorts. Can be lively but not loud. Casual but artistic.
It attracts lots of interesting people.

There is also Lulu Tasting Bar in the Colonial City… especially jazz nights on Mondays.

Last edited:
Mar 1, 2009
Dolores, what do you mean "DR is everday becoming more mixed"...? We have been interacial since 1492, so your affirmation is misleading since it lends itself to misinterpretation and allows urban myths such as the so-called Dominican aversion to dark skin or that we deny our African roots. I'm sure this isn't what you were trying to claim but Chinatown is new and we wouldn't want him to be misinformed.
LLLLLLLLCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCcccccccccc

the gorgon

Platinum
Sep 16, 2010
Also incorrect, if you go to El Cibao you do see blondes mopping the floor. OH Gorgon say it ain't so.
LC

i say what i did having been there. they might exist. i just have not seen them. just like i have not seen too many rubios wielding pickaxes on construction sites.