Cocotal

lovemedo

Nov 3, 2013
Iberostate is a large complex, a development extension of Iberostar Resort. I don't know first hand about their specific management, but in general the complexes managed by/and like a resort have high maintenance fees and are geared toward investment rentals. Many have their own rental system which you can place your unit into. The smaller complexes, (I own in one in el Cortecito), have their own management and are usually governed by a Board of fellow owners... this can be a good thing or a very bad thing. We are fortunate, but I've heard horror stories from friends who own in neighboring complexes.

When shopping, we considered a couple of apartments in Cocotal, but quickly eliminated them for the very reasons Mike mentions.. we are beach people. As an aside, one of our owners became dissatisfied with the neighbors, (unwarranted.. but whatever)... and swapped his unit in our complex on an even trade for a slightly larger unit in Cocotal. I don't know which area, though.

One comment about real estate listings.... even the most respected and highly regarded agencies have some "fuzzy" data in their listings. Don't rely completely on the details of the what you read. You MUST go and inspect the individual properties for yourself. A couple of times at differing times of day if possible.

Punta Cana Village is probably the best large, self contained property, with most if not all amenities there on site. It is also a large and varied property. There are members here who live there and can better comment on the details.

Thanks

lovemedo

Nov 3, 2013
Well mostly I just read the posts, they are very entertaining to me. I will try to be more active. Yes have lived in Cocatal for over 3 years and absolutely love it here. Would not dream of living anywhere else. I lived in Higuey for 4 1/2 years then a place here in B?varo called Olas de B?varo and by far Cocatal is the place to be

Hi
Whay do you like cocotal..what makes it great for you?
What are the monthly fees
Im thinking of acquiring another property , probably an apartment in the range of 100-120kus. ive seen a few in cocotal that sort of over look a golf course and they have a pool in front. Are there any inherent dangers by livingin Cocotal, ive heard there are crappy areas there....where are they precisely , names lol? AAny of your thoughts will be well received
how many minutes is it from the beach?
cheers

lovemedo

Nov 3, 2013
one question
someone mentioned that some people own maseratis...is that a NO NO...does that attract unwanted attention? Is it safe to drive nice cars in Punta cana?

bob saunders

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
dr1.com
one question
someone mentioned that some people own maseratis...is that a NO NO...does that attract unwanted attention? Is it safe to drive nice cars in Punta cana?

I hought, judging by your posts of what to do and what not to do in the DR you knew the whole country. Punta Cana has a lot of rich people but I see expensive cars all over this island.

MikeFisher

The Fisherman/Weather Mod
Feb 28, 2006
Punta Cana/DR
www.mikefisher.fun
I hought, judging by your posts of what to do and what not to do in the DR you knew the whole country. Punta Cana has a lot of rich people but I see expensive cars all over this island.

thats correct, Bob.
and very most expensive cars are not driven in Punta Cana, they are driven in and around the Capital City of course, where the mayority if rich Dominicans lives. in general people who can aford to buy exclusive/rare/expensive cars live also spread out around the Island and you will find everywhere locations perfectly safe and the same time "risky" to park such car and draw attention to thugs. if you have money, then automatically you will draw attention to the thugs circles, may it be due your car, or just due the location of your house/appartment, due the way you do shopping in the supermarket etc etc etc.
why do you want to BUY right away anyways? i would rent in a particular area for at least 6 months first, and then decide to buy or not. very most sellers will be willing to do a Rent-Buy-Contract, which will dicount your paid rental free from the prior agreed purchase price if you buy the property after a certain rental time.

Mike

DRob

Gold
Aug 15, 2007
why do you want to BUY right away anyways? i would rent in a particular area for at least 6 months first, and then decide to buy or not. very most sellers will be willing to do a Rent-Buy-Contract, which will dicount your paid rental free from the prior agreed purchase price if you buy the property after a certain rental time.

Mike

Totally agree. Take your time, man. Generally, it's very easy to buy a property, much more difficult to sell it.

I'd rent for a while, and make sure you really want to live in the area prior to buying. There's plenty of inventory, and many asking prices are more hopeful than realistic, so no rush.

MikeFisher

The Fisherman/Weather Mod
Feb 28, 2006
Punta Cana/DR
www.mikefisher.fun
Totally agree. Take your time, man. Generally, it's very easy to buy a property, much more difficult to sell it.

I'd rent for a while, and make sure you really want to live in the area prior to buying. There's plenty of inventory, and many asking prices are more hopeful than realistic, so no rush.

i would rephrase that into:
extremely easy to buy,
and almost impossible to sell unless you offer it for max half of what you paid for the property.
specially when you are talking about Condominiums/Appartments.
fantastic places available to rent for very reasonable monthly's.
and at the moment the 'hood changes it's vibe, as they aoften do around here, you can move to the next suitable neighbourhood without any penny lost.

Mike

lovemedo

Nov 3, 2013

Hey Bob
I wrote another post COCOTAL in this forum where i said this (see below), i believe i CLEARLY said i've never been to Punta Cana. Thanks for noticing my posts. if you need any further assistance let me know. Your provocation was not lost on me. Clearly you're questioning me, before you do that...read my posts thoroughly okay. I said i had NEVER BEEN TO PUNTAAA CANAAAAA ....but i'd like to go. maybe i can stay with you

"Crime in Punta Cana
I should say that i am very experienced in the country, particularly the North Coast. i have never been to Punta Cana and im keen to do some basic research on the area"

Basil alise

Aug 12, 2014
I have a couple of friends that live there and have never had a problem with theft or anything. I will say you need to visit for yourself and get your own impressions. Everyone giving advise is their own. Remember you will be the one living there.

I really like your point barker1964 and totally agree with you that lovemedo should decide it himself that which place will be suitable for him. because everyone will suggest him according to his own knolwede and experience, but you have to select a place according to your own choice.

Kipling333

Bronze
Jan 12, 2010
I have been to Cocotal numerous times and it is a very nice golf course with a good clubhouse where they serve decent meals during the day . Because the golf course has 18 holes,there are many many homes and condos with nice golf views .. It is not an up market place .just middle of the road but well maintained and with good security .
I most certainly would rent a place first and look around but the golden rule in buying is to find a home that is open to the easterly and southern breezes and to avoid the afternoon sun .. It will make your home much more liveable

SKY

Gold
Apr 11, 2004
Cocotal has 27 holes of golf. Very secure and a great location if you have a car.

Jan 9, 2004
I have been to Cocotal numerous times and it is a very nice golf course with a good clubhouse where they serve decent meals during the day . Because the golf course has 18 holes,there are many many homes and condos with nice golf views .. It is not an up market place .just middle of the road but well maintained and with good security .
I most certainly would rent a place first and look around but the golden rule in buying is to find a home that is open to the easterly and southern breezes and to avoid the afternoon sun .. It will make your home much more liveable

18 holes?

Last I knew there were 27.

Not upmarket? Just middle of the road?

Granted they allowed some less expensive condos to be built in certain areas....but a lot of the villas on Bouganvilla are north of 500,000 US. A single family lot...if you can find one will likely run $150,000.

I guess we have different views of upmarket.

Respectfully,
Playacaribe2

franco1111

Bronze
May 29, 2013
Gringo
There are good things and bad about having this mix of housing types. Some think it is good, some not so good. As I say above, there are areas that appear very run down. And then there are the expensive villas. Everybody is on the same property and can go where ever they want. Good or bad? Lovemedo, did you visit yet????

PCMike

Aug 30, 2008
I and my family have lived in Cocotal for 5 years now. I have lived in Cortecito, and Residential Punta Cana as well. Cocotal wins hands down. Absolutely zero security issues for us....polite security, clean, neat, orderly and respectful neighbours. Great views and relaxing after a day of work or play.

Syork

Sep 5, 2004
Cocotal very safe

I and my family have lived in Cocotal for 5 years now. I have lived in Cortecito, and Residential Punta Cana as well. Cocotal wins hands down. Absolutely zero security issues for us....polite security, clean, neat, orderly and respectful neighbours. Great views and relaxing after a day of work or play.

Agreed! I walk around the perimeter of the complex often and there are always at least 12 guards stationed around and a couple of guards on motorcycles patrolling. Very safe.

franco1111

Bronze
May 29, 2013
Gringo
The OP was just fishing. Never visited (at least did not respond to the inquiry about whether he did or not). First post is from January.

Interesting to know where the crimes are occurring though. Especially since we live in the area : ) (But not in Cocotal.)