Como Hablamos los Dominicanos

Status
Not open for further replies.

BIZC8

Dec 21, 2006
Small Observation

the Spanish you hear on the Dominican news, or spoken by politicians, or public speakers for some public occasion will vary DRASTICALLY from what you will hear "en la calle". I suppose this is something that happens in almost any language, but I've noticed it in Spanish, more so than most, and all over Latin America.

It's always best to learn proper Spanish, and then integrate slang, etc as needed. IMHO anyways.

"Culto" Spanish in countries like the DR, Cuba, Venezuela, Colombia, even Mexico sounds almost identical.

Having a Colombian wife, specifically from the "Eje Cafetero" (more commonly known as a 'paisa'), I have noticed that the average Spanish spoken by the average citizen in Colombia for instance is 95% similar to the Spanish you hear on TV by the news anchors, or the show hosts or anyone else for that matter. They in my opinion, simply take the time to pronounce all the syllables in all the words so as to match what is written on paper. They do have slang, they do shorten some words, they do abbreviate but perhaps not to the level where it starts to "break down" the language and start to sound like a different language altogether. There's a world of difference between the Spanish (pronunciation) my family members utter and her family members speak. It all boils down to all of the factors that played into the assimilation process during colonial times. It's in fact what makes you you and me me.

After eleven years of marriage, you inevitably start to pick up habits and other elements native to your spouse and one of the things I've noticed myself doing is to sort of mimmick her accent or at the very least "standardized" my Dominican Spanish not just for her, but also for her family members (just for the sake of not having to 'translate'). One thing I remember at the beginning of our relationship was that I asked her to make sure our children spoke Spanish more similar to hers than mine precisely because of the observations other DR1'ers have made.

The way you speak says a lot about yourself, your level of education, your self-esteem, etc..

2LeftFeet

Bronze
Dec 1, 2006
Out of print but......

A friend of mine was just in Santiago. I had her check bookstores for me for this book. She was told that it is out of print at this his time but due to 'popular demand it will be going into a second edition'...... when I have a copy in MY HANDS I'll believe it.

She is Dominican and she dragged her cousin and a friend along for this 'project'. They live there and they know that I want this book. They went to 3 bookstores.... and were told the same in all 3 places. She's going back in July. She doesn't know it yet but she will be trying again. ;)

So, hopefully in a couple of months it will be back out and I will have 3 copies to give out!!!!

The low down if anyone is interested.

Status
Not open for further replies.