Confirmed- People being denied entry for overstaying tourist visa

Status
Not open for further replies.

ju10prd

On Vacation!
Nov 19, 2014
Accountkiller
This is a picture copy of a letter from the Ministry of Interior and Police just posted this afternoon on LinkedIn by Maria Abreu, an immigration lawyer, with commentary highlighting the third paragraph:

16737uc.jpg
[/IMG]

I will leave it to others to translate the content of this letter from Spanish and discuss.

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
Ah, we all know that Maria Abreu just wants the gringo's money to get them residency. At least that is what the peanut gallery will say. Nothing new, pay the exit fees, etc..

From Maria Abreu's Facebook page here is her translation of the third paragraph in the document:

BELOW IS A TRANSLATION OF THE THIRD PARAGRAPH IN THE LETTER SHOWN

In this sense, the General Directorate of Migration, making use of the powers granted by Law 285-04 and its Regulation of Application, established by presidential decree 631-11, provides that any foreign national who exceeds the period authorized for their stay in the national territory, whose limit should not exceed the (60) days when he enters as a tourist, is SUBJECT TO NO ADMISSION AT THE TIME OF RETURNING TO THE COUNTRY, without prejudice to the penalty or rate of stay to which the FIFTH paragraph of Resolution DGM-05-2013 on the immigration control procedure in the Dominican Republic.

Last edited:

SKY

Gold
Apr 11, 2004
They WILL enforce this on Venezuelans and Haitians, not anyone from a major country. They will not have some article published in Great Britain about a Bride whose groom ended up locked up and sent home just for an overstay.

chico bill

Dogs Better than People
May 6, 2016
Ah, we all know that Maria Abreu just wants the gringo's money to get them residency. At least that is what the peanut gallery will say. Nothing new, pay the exit fees, etc..

From Maria Abreu's Facebook page here is her translation of the third paragraph in the document:

BELOW IS A TRANSLATION OF THE THIRD PARAGRAPH IN THE LETTER SHOWN

In this sense, the General Directorate of Migration, making use of the powers granted by Law 285-04 and its Regulation of Application, established by presidential decree 631-11, provides that any foreign national who exceeds the period authorized for their stay in the national territory, whose limit should not exceed the (60) days when he enters as a tourist, is SUBJECT TO NO ADMISSION AT THE TIME OF RETURNING TO THE COUNTRY, without prejudice to the penalty or rate of stay to which the FIFTH paragraph of Resolution DGM-05-2013 on the immigration control procedure in the Dominican Republic.

I worked with her - she seems honest and knowledgeable

KateP

Silver
May 28, 2004
What I'm hearing through the grapevine (don't shoot the messenger) is that Migracion is getting organized along with Cancilleria to do the following:

- Legal limit of stay for a tourist will be of up to 60 days as per the existing law
- The tourist card remains valid for 30 days and overstay will be paid after that
- Extension of 60 days will be available (to be applied for once in the DR) in addition to the tourist card for a total stay of 90 days
- Anyone having overstayed the 60 days could be banned entry when they return
- If you overstayed on your previous trip and want to make sure you'll be able to get back in, you'll have to apply for a document at the DR embassy abroad

Looks like they finally realized that they have to have all their ducks in a row before they start enforcing new policies. Hopefully they'll come out with a declaration or some sort of promotion confirming exactly what's what but I ain't holding my breath.

ju10prd

On Vacation!
Nov 19, 2014
Accountkiller
What I'm hearing through the grapevine (don't shoot the messenger) is that Migracion is getting organized along with Cancilleria to do the following:

- Legal limit of stay for a tourist will be of up to 60 days as per the existing law
- The tourist card remains valid for 30 days and overstay will be paid after that
- Extension of 60 days will be available (to be applied for once in the DR) in addition to the tourist card for a total stay of 90 days
- Anyone having overstayed the 60 days could be banned entry when they return
- If you overstayed on your previous trip and want to make sure you'll be able to get back in, you'll have to apply for a document at the DR embassy abroad

Looks like they finally realized that they have to have all their ducks in a row before they start enforcing new policies. Hopefully they'll come out with a declaration or some sort of promotion confirming exactly what's what but I ain't holding my breath.

If so they must tell all the foreign embassies clearly that this is the case and not just the French so travel advice can be clear rather than in the vein of the UK cover all wording : If you’re planning to stay for longer than 30 days, seek advice from a local lawyer or contact the local Immigration authorities.

sylindr

Nov 29, 2007
If so they must tell all the foreign embassies clearly that this is the case and not just the French so travel advice can be clear rather than in the vein of the UK cover all wording : If you’re planning to stay for longer than 30 days, seek advice from a local lawyer or contact the local Immigration authorities.

Likely what will get posted if this is the case is that the Embassy of these countries will recommend if you wish to winter somewhere do it elsewhere as you will have problems in Dominican Republic, can't see that boding well for tourism

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
They WILL enforce this on Venezuelans and Haitians, not anyone from a major country. They will not have some article published in Great Britain about a Bride whose groom ended up locked up and sent home just for an overstay.

Imagine the world outcry if they only enforce this on Haitians and Venezuelans. I very much doubt they will do as you mention. I could be wrong.

cbmitch9

Bronze
Nov 3, 2010
Imagine the world outcry if they only enforce this on Haitians and Venezuelans. I very much doubt they will do as you mention. I could be wrong.

Agreed. I think they are doing this so that they can deport all illegal Haitians enmasse and show that they are not prejudiced towards the Haitians or the Venezuelans.

KateP

Silver
May 28, 2004
Looks like that's what they're working on right now.

Sent from my BLN-L24 using Tapatalk

sylindr

Nov 29, 2007
Agreed. I think they are doing this so that they can deport all illegal Haitians enmasse and show that they are not prejudiced towards the Haitians or the Venezuelans.

Well they are very different, the Haitians and Venezuelans here illegally are looking for a home, the retired snowbirds coming for the winter are not, one is an immigration issue and one is a tourist issue, they simply need to allow the tourists a longer stay and it would not be an issue in my opinion. Canadians can go other places for the winter and it would be a shame if they force that by making visitors scared of shake downs when they are here spending their hard earned money

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
Likely what will get posted if this is the case is that the Embassy of these countries will recommend if you wish to winter somewhere do it elsewhere as you will have problems in Dominican Republic, can't see that boding well for tourism

The vast majority of tourist in the DR go to AI resorts and do not over stay the current law. That is more than 90% of tourists.

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
Well they are very different, the Haitians and Venezuelans here illegally are looking for a home, the retired snowbirds coming for the winter are not, one is an immigration issue and one is a tourist issue, they simply need to allow the tourists a longer stay and it would not be an issue in my opinion. Canadians can go other places for the winter and it would be a shame if they force that by making visitors scared of shake downs when they are here spending their hard earned money

Agreed. Maybe there are enough snowbirds to come up with a better way with easy to extend periods without needing residency. Time will tell. The number of snowbirds is small in the scheme of DR tourism.

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
Overstayers here are such a minuscule problem, I doubt they'll have trouble

My concern (if I was one of them) would be getting caught in the net and having to worm my way out.

The system is too unpredictable to be reliable... for my liking

However it's no different than other countries -
the agent talking to the incomer has absolute authority to decide your fate...

Spooks me !!

cbmitch9

Bronze
Nov 3, 2010

I agree with you but they have to do something for the sake of appearance. It's all smoke and mirrors when you really think about it. They have to sacrifice a few gringos to make it look good to the United Nations. Afterall, when the new plane loads of Chinese start coming, they won't need the snowbirds anymore (sarcasm).

Status
Not open for further replies.