conginuing issues with Haitians in DR

Ezequiel

Bronze
Jun 4, 2008
So what are we saying?
If you are a Haitian (of Haitian parentage) with a pink birth record from the D.R. you can go and get a birth certificate and a passport and a visa from Haiti?

mountainannie -

Can you get into Dominican high-school with this pink birth cert?

If so, then things do not seem all that grim unless you have NO paperwork?

If you have not got a pink birth certificate you are totally stumped?

Yes, that is their proved that they were born in the DR, but they are not DR citizen.

The DR is already doing more than the Haitian government doing, providing then Haitians with birth certificate without having to go to Puerto Principe.

mountainannie

Platinum
Dec 11, 2003
elizabetheames.blogspot.com
So what are we saying?
If you are a Haitian (of Haitian parentage) with a pink birth record from the D.R. you can go and get a birth certificate and a passport and a visa from Haiti?

mountainannie -

Can you get into Dominican high-school with this pink birth cert?

If so, then things do not seem all that grim unless you have NO paperwork?

If you have not got a pink birth certificate you are totally stumped?

No, you cannot go to high school with the pink birth certificate-

I would have to do some real investigation on what sort of papers were issued before - I cannot imagine that if there were children born here in hospitals they were not issued any sort of papers....

There are estimates that about 15% of the Dominican children also have "no papers" - because perhaps their parents simply did not register them properly or perhaps they were born at home - or whatever.

Theoretically, the Libra Rosada is going to put an end to the CONTINUING issue of Haitians born here - EXCEPT for the children of Haitian-Dominicans - whose parents were NOT born in Haiti and therefore do not have the rights of Haitian citizenship. But - this is a finite group.

From the people that I have spoken to over at the SJM (Jesuit Migration Center) who work with this population = dealing with the HAITIAN embassy here in SD is the hardest part of the job.

As you so rightly pointed out - all the papers for legalization in Haiti have to be issued in PauP - which, as you know, is a long way from Ouanaminthe and even farther from Jeremie. This is just one of the issues that comes from the "absence of the State" which has for so long been a problem in Haiti.

To get registered legally there already costs Haitians money that most of them do not have - to get a Haitian passport costs them $75, I think - which again is a huge sum.

Is there a Haitian "carte d'identite" like the DR cedula?

mountainannie

Platinum
Dec 11, 2003
Yes, that is their proved that they were born in the DR, but they are not DR citizen.

The DR is already doing more than the Haitian government doing, providing then Haitians with birth certificate without having to go to Puerto Principe.

I think this is incorrect. Children must have a Dominican cedula to enter high school. And the Libra Rosada paper is not a "birth certificate" as such - it still has to be registered with the Haitian Embassy here in SD.

I interviewed the Haitian consul in Dajabon - asking if he had received copies of the Libra Rosada for the children born there - if his office issued some sort of Haitian papers for these children, and he said that he had never received any. It may be that copies are turned over to the Haitian Embassy in SD, which should be able to issue papers - but probably does not. (

I know of at least one Haitian here who lost his passport and had to travel to PauP to have a new one issued - it could not be done from the Embassy here. I do not even know how he crossed the border to get into Haiti without a passport!

pedrochemical

Silver
Aug 22, 2008
Can a Haitian get a pink birth record after the fact?
Do they have to go back to where they were born or can they get one somewhere central?

If they can then the process might be a ball-ache but at least it is possible to do all things. I suspect not, however.

mountainannie

Platinum
Dec 11, 2003
we have the same in the states their called anchor babies

No = there is a big difference. The US has the right of "jus soli" which states that anyone born on its soil has the rights of citizenship.

The Dominican Republic does not automatically grant that right.

Nor does Germany, for instance

Or Ireland -- which has recently changed its rights

Irish nationality law - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Many Americans make the mistake of thinking that every country in the world grants citizenship based on "jus soli" and not on "jus sangre"

Every nation has the right to determine who will be granted citizenship.

The DR is among a very small group of island nations in which there are two different nations... like Cyprus

Ezequiel

Bronze
Jun 4, 2008
I think this is incorrect. Children must have a Dominican cedula to enter high school. And the Libra Rosada paper is not a "birth certificate" as such - it still has to be registered with the Haitian Embassy here in SD.

I interviewed the Haitian consul in Dajabon - asking if he had received copies of the Libra Rosada for the children born there - if his office issued some sort of Haitian papers for these children, and he said that he had never received any. It may be that copies are turned over to the Haitian Embassy in SD, which should be able to issue papers - but probably does not. (

I know of at least one Haitian here who lost his passport and had to travel to PauP to have a new one issued - it could not be done from the Embassy here. I do not even know how he crossed the border to get into Haiti without a passport!

Children don't need a Cedula to go to high school, they just need they birth certicate. You get a Cedula when you turn 18 or if you get married before 18 or you can get one at the age of 16 but is not necessary.