Congrats to Bob Saunders

bob saunders

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
dr1.com
Thanks Bob for the info.
Also about mothers maiden name I remember there was a moment of confusion when first applying at the MIP. When the person reviewing documents noticed a difference of my mothers name on documents he almost denied approval. But after consulting with supervisor they accepted documents and all went fine. He was very professional about and just wanted to make sure all docks were ok. By the way was there a dress code for ceremony?

Well, they said formal, but obviously different people have different ideas on formal. There were people that were not dressed formally but were accepted without problem. I don't think one could wear a collar-less shirt, shorts or thongs though. The guys on either side of me, a Spaniard and a Frenchman were wearing polo shirts and jean like pants.
I am ok as long as they don't ask for my parents birth certificates, as my mother was delivered at home by her father, a veterinarian and has her born in the north west corner of ....etc, and my father was born in Maine with Canadian parents. They get confused by a simple name difference so I can imagine how hard it would for them to process all my parents crazy info.

webmacon

Jul 4, 2006
caribbeanostriches.com
Passport next day

I got my Dominican passport the day after the ceremony, the cedula took about 3 weeks and I could pick it up in Jarabacoa.

Well since I havn't got the cedula in my hand yet I don't know if I will have any issues with the birth certificate. I do not anticipate problems but we will see. The people in charge of the local JCE are friends of my wife's and clients at our school so they will help as much as possible, but the problems, if there are any will be in Santo Domingo. The cedula is good for ten years and renewal is free.
Interestingly ,they have a copy of my Canadian birth Certificate which gives my mother's maiden name so when they did my certificate up and when they do my Dominican birth Certificate I will no longer be Saunders, but Saunders McGinnis.

webmacon

Jul 4, 2006
caribbeanostriches.com
No waiting

Nope.

When they tell you DON'T OPEN the envelope, it's actually false. We went right after the ceremony to my lawyers office where he opened it and prepared a letter to the Junta Central, then we went there with all the papers requesting my dominican birth certificate and change of status on my cedula, at the same time requested a certificate of identification. All this was done around 2:00pm same day. With that certification of identification went down to passport place at the Malecon and applied for the passport, since it was 2:30 PM already they told me it would be ready next day at noon, which it was.

My change of cedula was ready about 3 weeks later which I had printed our here in Jarabacoa, but passport was the first thing I had in my hands after the ceremony, good for 6 years like all Dominican Passports.

You didn't have to wait for the cedula to get your passport?

SKY

Gold
Apr 11, 2004
Also you do not have to renew your passport in the future in SD. In fact I would recommend going elsewhere. Any office can renew the passport. SD gave me problems the first time renewing mine. But that was about 9 years ago.

webmacon

Jul 4, 2006
caribbeanostriches.com
Now it's not a problem at all, got mine next day because was the first one and I actually applied for it the same day I became a dominican, next renewal will be same day ... I think it takes about 3 hours with the VIP service and 3 days without it.

Registered my Dom Passport right away at the same place for the auto gates and works great, in and out of SDQ within minutes.

Also you do not have to renew your passport in the future in SD. In fact I would recommend going elsewhere. Any office can renew the passport. SD gave me problems the first time renewing mine. But that was about 9 years ago.

XTraveller

Aug 21, 2010
Well since I havn't got the cedula in my hand yet I don't know if I will have any issues with the birth certificate. I do not anticipate problems but we will see. The people in charge of the local JCE are friends of my wife's and clients at our school so they will help as much as possible, but the problems, if there are any will be in Santo Domingo. The cedula is good for ten years and renewal is free.
Interestingly ,they have a copy of my Canadian birth Certificate which gives my mother's maiden name so when they did my certificate up and when they do my Dominican birth Certificate I will no longer be Saunders, but Saunders McGinnis.

Thank you Bob for the valuable info.

I think the problem with Miltida Birth certificate was not her parents name but rather that her Parents name did not have a Cedula # or number along with their name. Miltida had a work around and the JCE used her parent’s passport number in place.

Can you kept us inform when you proceed with the process?

XTraveller

Matilda

RIP Lindsay
Sep 13, 2006
Thank you Bob for the valuable info.

I think the problem with Miltida Birth certificate was not her parents name but rather that her Parents name did not have a Cedula # or number along with their name. Miltida had a work around and the JCE used her parent’s passport number in place.

Can you kept us inform when you proceed with the process?

XTraveller

It wasn't me it was someone else and they had no proof of parents' identity. No cedula number and no nationality and as on Dominican birth certs it gives both, the JCE refused to issue a birth cert. Hence my saying best to take something which shows some sort of ID number and nationality of parents.

Matilda

XTraveller

Aug 21, 2010
It wasn't me it was someone else and they had no proof of parents' identity. No cedula number and no nationality and as on Dominican birth certs it gives both, the JCE refused to issue a birth cert. Hence my saying best to take something which shows some sort of ID number and nationality of parents.

Matilda

Sorry for the confusion Miltida.
Birth certificates in Canada have Parents names but without numbers. Also Birth certificates are proof of nationality, I guess if Parents and children are born in same country.

I did not want to miss quote you Miltida, sorry. Just that my birth certificate has Parents name without id numbers.

Let’s see what Bob’s experience comes to.

XTraveller

bob saunders

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
dr1.com
Birth certificates in Canada have Parents names but without numbers. Also Birth certificates are proof of nationality, I guess if Parents and children are born in same country.

I did not want to miss quote you Miltida, sorry. Just that my birth certificate has Parents name without id numbers.

XTraveller

Exactly my case, and my parents have no passports although I have their SIN numbers, which according to Canadian law are not to be used for such purposes.

XTraveller

Aug 21, 2010
Exactly my case, and my parents have no passports although I have their SIN numbers, which according to Canadian law are not to be used for such purposes.

Same here Bob, Parents dead, no passport #, no SIN. Did you have your parents SIN or where you able to acquire it.

This is only for information to preparation, as my citizenship only in 1 ½ years.
Please Keep us inform Bob. Like you said maybe Local JCE way to go.

XTraveller

bob saunders

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
dr1.com
Same here Bob, Parents dead, no passport #, no SIN. Did you have your parents SIN or where you able to acquire it.

This is only for information to preparation, as my citizenship only in 1 ½ years.
Please Keep us inform Bob. Like you said maybe Local JCE way to go.

XTraveller

Both my parents are alive although approaching 90. My mother gave me both their SIN numbers and their marriage certificate. They have travelled extensively in the USA, before any passport requirements.

Matilda

RIP Lindsay
Sep 13, 2006

XTraveller

Same as British ones. Has names, no nationality and no numbers. This is why I warned Bob to try and take something which showed nationality and some sort of number just in case!

Matilda

harry myrtle beach

Sep 16, 2015
Same as British ones. Has names, no nationality and no numbers. This is why I warned Bob to try and take something which showed nationality and some sort of number just in case!

Matilda

Will I need my birth certificate to get my Dominican birth certificate? Or will getting my parents social security number from the dead files through ancestery.com suffice.

bob saunders

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
dr1.com

Matilda

My birth Certificate has my parents birthplace on it. New Brunswick , Canada and Saskatchewan, Canada. issued by the Department of Vital Statistics, Victoria, British Columbia, Canada. We will see what happens.

Sylvie Chartier

Jan 14, 2015
I didn't know you could do that being a Canadian citizen I assumed one would have renounce his/her citizenship.
As far as I know if I wanted another passport I'd have to renounce my German citizenship.
I better keep mine, don't need a visa for Colombia ;)

As a Canadian, one is allowed dual citizenship and with all the crap happening in Canada, it's a good Plan B if you ask me.

charlise

Bronze
Nov 1, 2012
I can drive like a Dominican, play baseball and cook a sancocho but as far as dancing and playing Dominos, nope. I automatically gave a person wrong direction today though.

Now that you are a Dominican citizen, I have a question for you ? Will you marry me ?? I'm Canadian so won't be too much of a culture choc... lol...And I don't want half of your stuff as long as you don't want half of mine. Just business....

bob saunders

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
dr1.com
Now that you are a Dominican citizen, I have a question for you ? Will you marry me ?? I'm Canadian so won't be too much of a culture choc... lol...And I don't want half of your stuff as long as you don't want half of mine. Just business....

I'm not a bigamist. You can find a naturally born Dominican for that. LOL.