Conquest Vacations crumbles

Malibook

Bronze
Jan 23, 2002
www.yourtraveltickets.com
Since those canceled by the Conquest closure are going to be scrambling for almost anything available, I suspect normal last minute pricing has been raised to maximize income from those travelers.

Gregg
I think you are right but this looks like price gouging to me.
This isn't a matter of higher demand as in a high season like March break or Christmas.

The flight capacity has not changed.
The number of available seats has gone up and people have to re-book those same seats for way higher prices.

donquixote

Aug 2, 2005
it is terrible of the hotels to treat people like that,,,there arrangement is with the tour companies and it is them they should collect,,,,the people are being held for ransome,,,these hotels should be advertised and people and other companies should bocott them...even if the hotels did not get paid,,,they have been doing business with this company for years and years and have made much profit,,,so a little loss is not that much,,,
just goes to show,,,crooks are crooks no matter how legal or upstanding they try to be....
again,,,these hotels should be boycotted, and possible even a massive email campaign to them to tell them we will never frequent them and will tell other people how rotten they treat their guests.

Reactions: Malibook

cobraboy

Pro-Bono Demolition Hobbyist
Jul 24, 2004
This isn't a matter of higher demand as in a high season like March break or Christmas.

The number of available seats has gone up and people have to re-book those same seats for way higher prices.
Isn't it normal business practices for near-term airfares to be significantly more expensive than those made long-term?

I see no reason for an airline to do any discounting because of the problems of a non-related business.

Malibook

Bronze
Jan 23, 2002
Isn't it normal business practices for near-term airfares to be significantly more expensive than those made long-term?

I see no reason for an airline to do any discounting because of the problems of a non-related business.
Last minute prices do fluctuate but tend to trend down more often than not, especially in the final week.

I don't expect prices to drop now.
My point is that prices went up dramatically on the Conquest news when there was no reduction in flight capacity and no increase in overall demand.
People whose plans were screwed by Conquest who still want to go, now have to pay way more money for essentially the same flight or comparable package.
If anything, I'd say the overall demand has gone down due to these higher prices targeting those who still want to go.

Malibook

Bronze
Jan 23, 2002
it is terrible of the hotels to treat people like that,,,there arrangement is with the tour companies and it is them they should collect,,,,the people are being held for ransome,,,

just goes to show,,,crooks are crooks no matter how legal or upstanding they try to be....
Some of these hotels are demanding ridiculous amounts that are more than people paid including their flight.
It's bad enough that they are going after people for the money that Conquest owes them but to take advantage of the situation and try to get way more is despicable.

cobraboy

Jul 24, 2004

Price gouging? Doubtful.

High season demand? Doubt it.

fact is the closer to the actual flying date you book an airline, the higher the cost is going to be. Even if you want to fly nhigh season, book far enough in advance and the cost of a ticket is significantly lower.

Blame Conquest, not the airlines. It's not the airlines problem to fix.

And blame Conquest for the hotels requiring guests to pay. If I was a hotel and a tour operator stiffed me, you bet I'd require the guests to pay and let the guests battle the tour operator. I delivered the service, not the tour operator.

Malibook

Bronze
Jan 23, 2002
fact is the closer to the actual flying date you book an airline, the higher the cost is going to be. Even if you want to fly nhigh season, book far enough in advance and the cost of a ticket is significantly lower.

Blame Conquest, not the airlines. It's not the airlines problem to fix.

And blame Conquest for the hotels requiring guests to pay. If I was a hotel and a tour operator stiffed me, you bet I'd require the guests to pay and let the guests battle the tour operator. I delivered the service, not the tour operator.
Charter flights to the Dominican Republic generally go down in the last week or two and are often the cheapest a couple of days before departure.
There was a sudden increase in prices that was directly related to the Conquest news.
It had nothing to do with the dates suddenly getting a day closer.
It was not a matter of less capacity and/or greater demand.
A lot of people can't easily change their vacation plans and need to re-book and are being gouged.

Of course I blame Conquest for all of this but it does not mean others should take advantage of the situation.
Some of these hotels are trying to charge more than the total price people paid including the flights.
These hotels had a contract for room rentals with Conquest, not the Conquest customer.

Suppose you take your car in for service and pick it up and pay the bill.
If your mechanic does not pay the parts supplier, do you think the parts supplier has the right to take your car hostage until you pay them? :rolleyes:

revon

Apr 19, 2009
western union

I've been stranded here for almost seven years. Could someone send me some money via Western Union?

Thanks in advance. :cheeky::pirate:;)

If i sent you a cheque it would bounce from Canada to the D.R.

Malibook

Bronze
Jan 23, 2002
it is terrible of the hotels to treat people like that,,,there arrangement is with the tour companies and it is them they should collect,,,,the people are being held for ransome,,,these hotels should be advertised and people and other companies should bocott them...even if the hotels did not get paid,,,they have been doing business with this company for years and years and have made much profit,,,so a little loss is not that much,,,
again,,,these hotels should be boycotted, and possible even a massive email campaign to them to tell them we will never frequent them and will tell other people how rotten they treat their guests.
Fortunately, the vast majority of hotels did not treat their guests like crap and make their holidays a nightmare.

cobraboy

Jul 24, 2004
Charter flights to the Dominican Republic generally go down in the last week or two and are often the cheapest a couple of days before departure.
There was a sudden increase in prices that was directly related to the Conquest news.
It had nothing to do with the dates suddenly getting a day closer.
It was not a matter of less capacity and/or greater demand.
A lot of people can't easily change their vacation plans and need to re-book and are being gouged.

Of course I blame Conquest for all of this but it does not mean others should take advantage of the situation.
Some of these hotels are trying to charge more than the total price people paid including the flights.
These hotels had a contract for room rentals with Conquest, not the Conquest customer.

Suppose you take your car in for service and pick it up and pay the bill.
If your mechanic does not pay the parts supplier, do you think the parts supplier has the right to take your car hostage until you pay them? :rolleyes:
Link to your proof that airlines and hotels are gouging?

I suspect the hotels are charging rack rate, and not the discount they gave Conquest. They held the rooms open for Conquest which foregoes selling that room to someone else.

I suspect there is some fine print in the check-in paperwork that can be upheld in a Dominican court about payment.

BTW-in the states, the auto repair shop CAN keep that car under a "mechanics lien".

La Mariposa

Bronze
Jun 4, 2004

I suspect the hotels are charging rack rate, and not the discount they gave Conquest. They held the rooms open for Conquest which foregoes selling that room to someone else.

I suspect there is some fine print in the check-in paperwork that can be upheld in a Dominican court about payment.

BTW-in the states, the auto repair shop CAN keep that car under a "mechanics lien".

If the car is in the part supplier shop when you pick it up.

donquixote

Aug 2, 2005
conquest

yes a mechanics lien is possible but if that is because the service is not paid for...the conquest is different,,the customers paid for the service they received,,the dispute is between conquest and the hotels...like the one comment, if the customer pays for the mechanics service does he not get his car...later if the garage does not pay the parts supplier the parts supplier does not get to lien the car...

bottom line is the hotels are taking advantage and i hope again people boycot those hotels,,i hear there were many more hotels that honoured the customers,,,but i guess a few crooked ones did not...

you can also bet if they collected from the customers the rack rate, and then conquest does pay the hotels what is owed,,,i doubt these hotels will pay back the customers,,,these crooks will keep both payments

Malibook

Bronze
Jan 23, 2002

Even if the Conquest customers were liable for Conquest's contracts with the hotels, they could not be sued for more than the actual losses.
Holding people hostage for instantaneous payment of a potential judgment covering hypothetical losses is outrageous.

If a customer does not pay the mechanic, of course the mechanic has some recourse with the customer.
Thank you for stating the obvious but too bad this has absolutely nothing to do with the Conquest situation or the example I gave. :rolleyes:

The equivalent analogy would be if the unpaid parts supplier came by your home and blocked your driveway preventing the parts from being used until you cover the mechanic's end of their contract.
I suppose you also think that it is okay if the parts supplier demands way more money than is owed by claiming that he gives the mechanic a deal. :ermm:

Even if there is some ridiculous fine print on the check-in form, it's a good thing that the vast majority of hotels are run by people who do not think like Cobraboy. :tired:

Malibook

Bronze
Jan 23, 2002
you can also bet if they collected from the customers the rack rate, and then conquest does pay the hotels what is owed,,,i doubt these hotels will pay back the customers,,,these crooks will keep both payments
Hopefully they will not be allowed to be that despicable.

When Conquest shut down Wednesday it left thousands stranded in Mexico and the Caribbean. Soon after, reports surfaced that some hotels were refusing to let travellers leave without paying hotel bills out of their own pockets, in some cases confiscating passports and threatening legal action.
Meanwhile, there is the issue of getting an estimated 550 travellers back home. Pepper said his staff spent the weekend contacting hotel operators to assure them TICO would cover any fees they lost with the organization's compensation fund. He estimated the entire operation could cost more than $2 million.
Errol Francis, Conquest's president, has not responded to interview requests from the Star.
Money from the fund is expected to reach hotels this morning.

TheStar.com | Ontario | Conquest collapse sparks call for inquiry

cobraboy

Jul 24, 2004
Even if the Conquest customers were liable for Conquest's contracts with the hotels, they could not be sued for more than the actual losses.
Holding people hostage for instantaneous payment of a potential judgment covering hypothetical losses is outrageous.

If a customer does not pay the mechanic, of course the mechanic has some recourse with the customer.
Thank you for stating the obvious but too bad this has absolutely nothing to do with the Conquest situation or the example I gave. :rolleyes:

The equivalent analogy would be if the unpaid parts supplier came by your home and blocked your driveway preventing the parts from being used until you cover the mechanic's end of their contract.
I suppose you also think that it is okay if the parts supplier demands way more money than is owed by claiming that he gives the mechanic a deal. :ermm:

Even if there is some ridiculous fine print on the check-in form, it's a good thing that the vast majority of hotels are run by people who do not think like Cobraboy. :tired:
With all due respect, Malibook, you've never run a real business, have you? "Some ridiculous fine print" IS the essence of all contracts. If it's affirmed by signature by both parties, "fine print" becomes binding law. Fine print matters in the eyes of the law. Just remember those words next time you sign something without reading EVERY word.

Neither of us knows the specific contract terms between Conquest/customer, Conquest/resort/airlines or Resort/airlines/customer.

I made basic business suppositions based on the "facts" that multiple resorts (as I understand)acting in a similar manner made the same requirements of their guests. You made moral judgements. Neither are 100% rooted in the facts, but at least I didn't add a moral component to the discussion. Contract Law does not have moral components in statute.

I suspect the liability and monetary damage issue is between customer and Conquest, and NOT customer and resort/airlines. IMO, just because Conquest got paid but did not pay the resorts, the customer is NOT off the hook, because THEY consumed the service directly from the resort/airlines. The fact that Conquest acted in bad faith does NOT cover up that fact.

If I was the resort, I would require payment. If I were the customer, I'd pay by credit card and then file for an immediate credit the moment I landed on home soil.

The very nature of a bankruptcy means some innocent party will be left holding unpaid receivables. I have been that party more times than I care to remember. Let t happen to you and see how "moral" you "feel" about it.

Anology: I buy car insurance and pay it in full, I'm in a wreck, my insurance company sends me to a car repair shop (subrogation). The insurance company doesn't pay the car shop as promised within the specific "fine print" terms of my insurance contract. The car repair shop refuses to release my repaired car until the bill is paid by the insurance company or me. The insurance company goes bankrupt. If I want my car back, I have to pay the repair shop (who has a mechanics lein on the car). I then have "breach of contract/fiduciary responsibility" cause for tort action against the insurance company. I'm not sure this case is that different.

Malibook

Bronze
Jan 23, 2002
Neither of us knows the specific contract terms between Conquest/customer, Conquest/resort/airlines or Resort/airlines/customer.

I made basic business suppositions based on the "facts" that multiple resorts (as I understand)acting in a similar manner made the same requirements of their guests.
We don't know what was signed.

Most resorts took care of their guests and allowed them to enjoy the rest of their vacations.

The few that pulled this heavy-handed hostage stunt upset a lot of people, including many who were not involved.
Some were greedy and despicable and tried to take advantage of the situation but ended up getting much less than they demanded.
These threatening actions were not necessary and were a very stupid business decision.
Customer service, discretion, and common sense logic are highly relevant.

I suppose if you ran one of the airlines you would have charged everybody very expensive one-way last minute tickets to get home.

Fortunately, most of the resorts and none of the airlines thought like you. :rolleyes:

cobraboy

Jul 24, 2004
We don't know what was signed.
Yet you make broad, sweeping comments.

malibook said:
Most resorts took care of their guests and allowed them to enjoy the rest of their vacations.
Perhaps some had been paid. Ever consider that?

malibook said:
The few that pulled this heavy-handed hostage stunt upset a lot of people, including many who were not involved.
Some were greedy and despicable and tried to take advantage of the situation but ended up getting much less than they demanded.
These threatening actions were not necessary and were a very stupid business decision.
Once again, without ~any~ facts at your disposal you make sweeping moral acusations. And who were upset? Folks who consumed the services of a provider who had not been paid?

malibook said:
Customer service, discretion, and common sense logic are highly relevant.
And being paid for the service you perform isn't?

malibook said:
I suppose if you ran one of the airlines you would have charged everybody very expensive one-way last minute tickets to get home.
Please link to the evidence the airlines changed their policy specifically because of the Conquest issue. And I know for a fact: a one-way ticket, no matter when purchased, is almost always more expensive than a r/t. Compound that for one purchased at the last minute. Care to challenge that statement?

malibook said:
Fortunately, most of the resorts and none of the airlines thought like you. :rolleyes:
I saw your edit below. Fact: you have NO idea what or how I think. I operate my business within strict policy guidelines. And I suspect that those you complain about also do the same. The #1 policy I enforce: collect payment for service delivered.

Frankly I am surprised you have failed to mention some of the other victims in the Conquest meltdown: those who have made deposits on future tours who will never recoup that $$$. Granted, they weren't left holding the bag, but there is still economic damage.

Malibook

Bronze
Jan 23, 2002
Perhaps some had been paid. Ever consider that?
Perhaps but it's much more likely that due payables get paid or they don't.

Once again, without ~any~ facts at your disposal you make sweeping moral acusations. And who were upset? Folks who consumed the services of a provider who had not been paid?
The fact is that the vast majority of tourists had no problems.

And being paid for the service you perform isn't?
Of course it is.
The point is that all of the hotels will be paid, not just the few who pulled these threatening hostage tactics.

Please link to the evidence the airlines changed their policy specifically because of the Conquest issue. And I know for a fact: a one-way ticket, no matter when purchased, is almost always more expensive than a r/t. Compound that for one purchased at the last minute. Care to challenge that statement?
Once again you miss my point.
None of the airlines made people pay for a return ticket, as apparently you would have.

Prices for future tickets and packages jumped dramatically right after the Conquest news.
You might think this is a coincidence and perhaps it is but I highly doubt this.
Conquest did not run any planes and there is no shortage of hotel capacity.
Of course they are not going to come out and state that they know a lot of people can't easily change their vacation plans and will pay much more money now.

I saw your edit below. Fact: you have NO idea what or how I think. I operate my business within strict policy guidelines. And I suspect that those you complain about also do the same. The #1 policy I enforce: collect payment for service delivered.
Good for you but if TICO was going to compensate you for your losses, why would you bother with the hassle, threats, and bad publicity?

Frankly I am surprised you have failed to mention some of the other victims in the Conquest meltdown: those who have made deposits on future tours who will never recoup that $$$. Granted, they weren't left holding the bag, but there is still economic damage.
People who made deposits and paid in full will get their money back from their credit cards or TICO.
Who else are you talking about?