Considering moving in

Status
Not open for further replies.

Anastacio

Banned
Feb 22, 2010
Alisei is less than 7 years old... it was built by the people who built and developed Colibri.

so
"over the years"

is hardly applicable.

How long have you lived here?
Hahaha, I don't know LT and so these properties neither, but 'over the years', less than seven years built, lol. Certainly does sound as though LT is a very nice place to live, I don't hear many negatives about the place.

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
The one thing never to take to a pi$$ing contest? A tape measure!!!

Jeeze Louise, get over it. You guys are living two different lives!! So what!!

HB

Africaida

Gold
Jun 19, 2009
More nonsense: People who bought into the Alisei in Las Terrenas for example have done very well over the years. Renting is in high demand and good returns are achieved.
There is little property in many places including Las Terrenas, Boca Chica etc. that stands empty for years! Show me all this empty property.

Yanandu

I think you just reinforced the point people are trying to make: Do your homework beforehand.

I know and I have been in contact with plenty of houseowners in LT whose house sits empty most of the year. I rent when I come to LT and never have I paid their advertised prices, I found extremely easy to negotiate the price waaaaaaaaaay down.

It seems to me that a lot of people rushed into buying and miscalculated the costs of maintaining a property and overestimated the amount of time their property would be rented (perhaps the property is not marketed properly).

Reactions: mountainannie

yanandu

Banned
Jan 23, 2011
My shopping is quick and easy. A truck stops near with about 40 different types of fruit and veg. Other shopping is also quick and easy.
Some horrible speculators started some years back building a large supermarket here; its shell sill stands.
It's an illusion food is cheaper in supermarkets. Much of the time its not.
People protest supermarkets throughout the World!
Yanandu

Someone I know bought 5 years ago Colibri has also been a good investment for many people.
Yanandu

yanandu

Banned
Jan 23, 2011
Many owners have no special inclination to rent. Property is a good asset and when they come they like the property 'as is'.
Yanandu

mountainannie

Platinum
Dec 11, 2003
elizabetheames.blogspot.com
Many owners have no special inclination to rent. Property is a good asset and when they come they like the property 'as is'.
Yanandu

yes, but they would not list it then, right? They would keep it as a home with their personal things in it.. not as a starker rental where you have to worry about things being broken or taken

Unlike buying an investment property in the States, for Americans, one cannot deduct the depreciation on a rental property here.

I agree that Colibri and Alesie are good operations and have provided a good return. But they are always going to be condo hotels.. Lots of folks are not going to want to settle into a condo hotel with tourists coming in an out. It is a very specific type of investment. A good one.. but not for everyone.

And many folks want to just buy a place now, at today's prices, figuring that they will come down here for two or three or six months and that property prices will go up over the years. That, too, is probably a safe bet ... if they buy a condo with solid construction and good management and clear title.

I know that there are lots of new condos and villas on the market now in LT.

Most of them have been well built and will probably stay a solid investment for years.

So if folks have 100 to 200k sitting around that they do not need income from.. and have enough to fly down and enjoy the place a few times a year.. and have enough to cover condo fees and costs.... and will not mind if the market takes a dip..

worse comes to worst, they can come down and live here

then great.. I would say buy.. buy now.. buy lots.. buy fast...

for those in the middle class who are worried about having a sufficient retirement income and are not in love with the place..

take it slow... due diligence

bob saunders

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
dr1.com
yes, but they would not list it then, right? They would keep it as a home with their personal things in it.. not as a starker rental where you have to worry about things being broken or taken

Unlike buying an investment property in the States, for Americans, one cannot deduct the depreciation on a rental property here.

I agree that Colibri and Alesie are good operations and have provided a good return. But they are always going to be condo hotels.. Lots of folks are not going to want to settle into a condo hotel with tourists coming in an out. It is a very specific type of investment. A good one.. but not for everyone.

And many folks want to just buy a place now, at today's prices, figuring that they will come down here for two or three or six months and that property prices will go up over the years. That, too, is probably a safe bet ... if they buy a condo with solid construction and good management and clear title.

I know that there are lots of new condos and villas on the market now in LT.

Most of them have been well built and will probably stay a solid investment for years.

So if folks have 100 to 200k sitting around that they do not need income from.. and have enough to fly down and enjoy the place a few times a year.. and have enough to cover condo fees and costs.... and will not mind if the market takes a dip..

worse comes to worst, they can come down and live here

then great.. I would say buy.. buy now.. buy lots.. buy fast...

for those in the middle class who are worried about having a sufficient retirement income and are not in love with the place..

take it slow... due diligence

Very good Advice.

yanandu

Banned
Jan 23, 2011
Many owners have seen capital appreciation in the DR!
Middle class can have a great time here - money goes a long way. Just talking to an American back from a visit to Florida. He agrees food prices are much less than there - about 50%.
Retirement income will go a lot further in the DR!
Property tax is far lower: utilities are cheap as little aircon etc. required; a car is not essential to have a nice lifestyle. Better not to take it too slow : opportunities will not be there for ever!
If the US gets worse then it must be nice for the 'middle class' to think they can escape and live in a place where amenity is high and costs very low!!
Yanandu

RacerX

Banned
Nov 22, 2009
Many owners have seen capital appreciation in the DR!
Middle class can have a great time here - money goes a long way. Just talking to an American back from a visit to Florida. He agrees food prices are much less than there - about 50%.
Retirement income will go a lot further in the DR!
Property tax is far lower: utilities are cheap as little aircon etc. required; a car is not essential to have a nice lifestyle. Better not to take it too slow : opportunities will not be there for ever!
If the US gets worse then it must be nice for the 'middle class' to think they can escape and live in a place where amenity is high and costs very low!!
Yanandu

This dude is fkn crazy. You came here on a spaceship right? People listen to you and wind up butt naked living in the mountains chewing on tea leaves.

Reactions: mountainannie

yanandu

Banned
Jan 23, 2011
I'm sure I have the best opinion. There is a large ex-pat community and as with all communities there are rich and the not so rich. I would say that the better budget restaurants tend to be full offering plate of the day with salad, mineral water etc.
at just over 3 dollars.
But it also possible to dine at international standard restaurants in the 70 dollar range.
Restaurante MI CORAZON, Las Terrenas - Restaurant Reviews - TripAdvisor
And of course throughout the country.

There is no doubt that someone who has been living a 5,000 dollar a month lifestyle can continue that lifestyle with advantage in the DR. Luxury cars, private aviation and beautiful mansions are available. Plus Golf, Marinas etc.
Some people need to adapt their budgets. A comfortable lifestyle in the DR starts at $500 a month in my opinion.
A wide range of property investment opportunities are available starting realistically at 60K dollars in tourist/ex-pat areas.
This is not chewing tea leaves!
Yanandu.

Robert

Stay Frosty!
Jan 2, 1999
dr1.com
This dude is fkn crazy. You came here on a spaceship right? People listen to you and wind up butt naked living in the mountains chewing on tea leaves.

That's exactly what I wanted to say, but was not sure if I would have needed to delete myself, so I'll leave your post up instead :)

Let's close this before yanandu comes out with anymore peals of wisdom!

Status
Not open for further replies.