Conspiracy Theorists: the NALs case

Status
Not open for further replies.

Texas Bill

Silver
Feb 11, 2003
www.texasbill.com
People, people----

I'm not taking up for Nals in this, but when, oh when, are you all going to realize that "He plays with people's minds"!!
Look at his posts, as I have done, and realize that his inconsistancy is done ON PURPOSE to engender a response that he has fun playing with.

Yep, he's a peculiar sort of fellow, but really harmless.

Just accept him and his ideas for what he is and they are and you'll never be surprised by what he says nor when he says it. In fact, you might even be able to anticipate what he will post next and be prepared for it.

Shame on you Nals, give these serious people a break, will you???

Texas Bill

bilijou

Jun 13, 2006
NALs,

Don’t attack deelt because he’s “siding with me”.

As for your last post, take your own advice. Your inconsistencies aren’t limited to your standings on world issues.
NALs said:
Most were too concerned with who I am rather than what I am saying or ever said. It's not that I never expected this, because I did.
…a week ago…
NALs said:
You rejected Tordok in another thread, despite the fact that he is a well educated person who is respected by everybody in this forum except you, the newbie!
This is the line, which shows how you were focusing on Tordok’s education rather than his argument, that triggered this thread.
I just want to clarify myself, I don’t take back anything I’ve said in any of my posts in this forum. In the thread “Conspiracy: is it stealing?”, I was teamed up against for insisting that the race factor cannot be excluded when analyzing Dominican culture/identity. And yes, I call people idiots (and would do it again) whenever I see close-mindedness. That’s how I define “idiots” (fortunately, there are cures to this condition).

NALs said:
If a thread is about politics in the DR, expect for me to give my political opinion without implicating any other theories that are not political.

I can’t blame you. You are not the first, and I doubt you will be the last, person to take different standing depending on the approach. One of my biggest criticisms of the IMF economics team and idiots like Hugo Chavez is that they have your same methodology.

Why is it wrong?
Here’s my take on it:
Using logic alone, humans cannot take on all the information in the world. It is too vast. As a learning aid, we, humans, have learnt to break all this information up into chunks. The million words the big world picture is worth have been broken up into small digestible “books” (schools of thought such as culture, politics, economics, physics, chemistry, etc) and then into even more digestible paragraphs. The problem lies in the fact that THOUGH these imaginary “books” OVERLAP each other (half the times, they explain the same thing from different points of views), they have taken a life of their own (through specialization). Armies of scholars have closed their minds to their particular book, ignoring the fact that these books are merely manmade categories, with the sole purpose of facilitating our learning. These imaginary books (in your case, politics and economics) designed to explain ONE big world picture, are now contradicting each other.
How is this inconsistency possible? Doesn’t it seem illogical?
This is why opposing ideas (the different life these books have taken) can’t settle in my head.

We, as intellectuals, must always remember that these are merely “training wheels”, they shouldn’t impede us from taking a step back and looking at the big picture. Rather than taking a political, cultural or economics approach at a time, take a holistic one.

I hate hearing people saying “it depends on how you see it”. I say, let’s break down all these imaginary books/categories/approaches. Let’s speak ONE language since there is ONE world. There is ONE optimal path DR can take as a country, to be most effective, we must think out the box and see things as they are.

That’s my non-personal “advice”.

NALs

Economist by Profession
Jan 20, 2003
Shame on you Nals, give these serious people a break, will you???

Texas Bill
TB,

Do you know how this particular thread came about?

I all started when I asked bilijou to present his credentials, given that he was going around putting words in my mouth, asking people to provide their source from which to back their information and then rejecting those sources without even looking into them!

Afterwards he created this thread to avoid answering the initial question that I posted towards him on the other thread (Dominican Military I think is the name of the thread) and in that respect, place a spin to turn the attention away from him towards me. In effect, he was able to dodge answering the question of his credentials by focusing the issue on me and to top all of this, he did this by starting this new thread rather than placing his initial post on the previous thread which is where it belongs.

That's why this thread came to be!

He obviously did not like the fact that I asked him to present his credentials so he instead created a spin, detached it from the previous thread by creating this new one, and manage to avoid answering the rather simple and easy to answer question!

Everything that has been stated on this thread is old news starting with the OP! There is nothing new being debated here, it's nothing more than a way to take the attention away from bilijou and focusing on me simply because I asked a simple straight forward question and now you want for me to give "these people a break"?

What break when all I want is a simple answer from the OP, nothing more nothing less!!

All other posts on this thread are geared towards the other members of DR1 who decided to join bilijou bandwagon, but bilijou has effectively avoided answering a very simple, harmless, and straight forward question!

He could had easily answered the question, which if his credentials match his habit of disregarding certain sources used to back up information by other DR1ers, then he would had shut me up a long time ago! But, did he do that?

The existence of this thread speaks volumes of that!

-NALs

NALs

Economist by Profession
Jan 20, 2003
bilijou said:
NALs,

Don’t attack deelt because he’s “siding with me”.
This is not about you. This has been occuring for years before you joined this site in June 2006.

And I will not refer to you until you stop putting spins in order to avoid the question I asked you in the other thread, which by the way I requoted further up this thread.

Until then..... adios!

BTW, deelt is a she.

-NALs

deelt

Bronze
Mar 23, 2004
His response was actually in the first post if you actually bothered to read it.
Here it is:

bilijou said:
(In response to his questions, I am pending graduation from NYU, business admin., close enough to economics [taken several advanced courses]. No, no Phd, but am actually planning on going into an economics related masters, for now I’m just an aficionado. I consider myself an economist at heart.)

So, I guess that he has shut you up?? LOL (I'm dying!!! lol)

He could had easily answered the question, which if his credentials match his habit of disregarding certain sources used to back up information by other DR1ers, then he would had shut me up a long time ago! But, did he do that?

The existence of this thread speaks volumes of that!

-NALs

NALs

Economist by Profession
Jan 20, 2003
His response was actually in the first post if you actually bothered to read it.
Here it is:

So, I guess that he has shut you up?? LOL (I'm dying!!! lol)

Thank you for pointing that out. I obviously read only the first paragraph, then scanned the rest and missed it.

Regarding shutting me up, he would had if he was not an undergraduate! The kid has yet to apply theory to reality which only occurs after one is done with school and begins to apply everything towards reality.

You of all people should know that college graduates come out thinking they got everything they need to make it in their careers, only to realize that what they were taught in school was only the tip of the iceberg and what they will learn through experience and application of their theories to the real world will modify such attitude after they are done with their studies.

-NALs

NALs

Economist by Profession
Jan 20, 2003
Since deelt pointed out something I missed on your post, I will now refer to everything else you have stated in your last response.

bilijou said:
This is the line, which shows how you were focusing on Tordok’s education rather than his argument, that triggered this thread.
Your rejection of Tordok was based on you getting dissatisfied at the fact that race is not allowed to be discussed on these forums, a rule created by Robert and Dolores who are the owners of this.

If you would have done a search, plenty of race based threads will appear from a time when such debates were permissible here. Please, go and do that.

bilijou said:
We, as intellectuals, must always remember that these are merely “training wheels”, they shouldn’t impede us from taking a step back and looking at the big picture. Rather than taking a political, cultural or economics approach at a time, take a holistic one.
I do take a holistic view of every issue, but I respond according to the theme of the thread!

If you fail to see why such approach would be used, then give it some time. Once you are out of school and begin to apply the theories with reality, you will notice that holistic views on various subjects will form your own opinions towards any particular subject. However, indifference in each subject is an essential that must be incorporated in order to protect your own self from being degraded by those who find your opinion hostile to theirs.

For this reason, an analysis of each matter being discussed within its own context is the best way of approaching such discussion, unless the people in the debate explicitly want your personal opinion.

It's the difference between professionalism and mere personal opinion. When a person is in their professional field they can't give their personal opinion even when a person asks for their personal opinion, because such opinions might tilt the other person towards you without them being aware of all sides of the argument. As a professional, one must take a neutral state and often times, neutrality is shown by giving both sides of the argument at once or giving an professional opinion based on the context provided.

If you don't fully grasp what I am saying right now, just wait. Once you are out of school and begin to apply what you learn as a professional you will know exactly what I am saying.

bilijou said:
I hate hearing people saying “it depends on how you see it”. I say, let’s break down all these imaginary books/categories/approaches. Let’s speak ONE language since there is ONE world. There is ONE optimal path DR can take as a country, to be most effective, we must think out the box and see things as they are.
Sounds like a type of approach based on some sort of utopia reality.

Non-utopian beings are not capable of creating a utopia of any kind, for this reason one must speak in the language that is adequate for the situation or context.

In the real world, speaking Spanish is essential in a Spanish speaking country. In professionalism, being neutral on an argument is essential as well and only by accepting each debate within its own context can someone remain neutral or fully analyse what is being presented.

To do otherwise is to inject personal opinions where a personal opinion is not the most appropriate, such as threads meant to give the reader the chance to make up their minds as oppose to being told what to think, what to do, and how to see the world.

-NALs

Chris

Gold
Oct 21, 2002
www.caribbetech.com
TB,

Do you know how this particular thread came about?

I all started when I asked bilijou to present his credentials,
-NALs

OK, Sweety, fine to ask others. Where are yours buddy?

If you can give it out, you have to be able to take it as well. State those credentials Nals. I remember reading bilijou's stuff. But I do not remember reading yours.

Texas Bill

Silver
Feb 11, 2003
www.texasbill.com
Chris:

At the risk of being accused of taking sides, Nals has stated several times that he has a degree from U. of Conn. in Economics. Don't know if it is a B.S. or B.A. or B.B.A.

Thaere has been no mention of a Minor.

That was way back yonderehen.

No mention of an advanced degree that I can recall.

Texas Bill

deelt

Bronze
Mar 23, 2004
If Bilijou is still in fact an undergrad it is clear to me he knows more than Nals on the issues he has touched on. I do highly respect Tordok but I think he can defend himself fairly well. He is also fairly open-minded. My suggestion to Bilijou is to maintain a respectful tone when addressing others, regardless if how idiotic he thinks their ideas are. His arguments are well versed enough to correct folks if they need to be checked.

Last edited:

Chris

Gold
Oct 21, 2002
www.caribbetech.com
totally off topic

BTW, Chris must have a BSc in meteorolgy..correct??

I am going to answer you this time. (sorry moderator and other posters, this is off topic but this is coming up with monotonous regularity from this poster). If you did your homework (which you seem to seldom do) you would know why I was asking the question in this thread. You would know very clearly that the weather forum is run by a group of enthusiastic hobbyists and volunteers. I am an enthusiastic hobbyist and my skills are improving daily and annually. On the Caribbean weather thread I may be the voice, but there are two other people behind the effort helping and checking my work, and two great professional organizations from the US helping us. With hurricanes and storms, I believe that the group interacting on these threads are truly experienced in our conditions - which is exactly what we need.

For myself, I learnt to interpret weather on the water, so to speak, while sailing these waters. While sailing, we learnt to set up discussion groups with other boats on the water to discuss the conditions regularly, and to learn from others. This is more or less the format that we follow on the DR1. Many of the other weather people involved learnt weather the same way, having to save our asses out on the water. In the three years that this specific group has been reporting weather for the DR1, we have all learnt a tremendous amount and we continue learning. Our combined knowledge and the service to the DR1 community made this board number one on all the search term clusters for the weather in the Dominican Republic. The thing that makes this group great, is that we do not pretend to know it all, but we know who to listen to and where to find the knowledge - most of all, we understand our own limitations and know when to ask for help when we need it. If you can do better, have at it. It takes a lot of time, effort and persistence from all of us and we would welcome some help.

Chris

Gold
Oct 21, 2002
www.caribbetech.com
Chris:

At the risk of being accused of taking sides, Nals has stated several times that he has a degree from U. of Conn. in Economics. Don't know if it is a B.S. or B.A. or B.B.A.

Texas Bill

Just checking Texas Bill ;)

NALs

Economist by Profession
Jan 20, 2003
Chris:

Texas Bill

And if anyone wants they can check the records at UConn. Granted, I will not reveal my name but NALs does stand for something....

Nuff said!

-NALs

NALs

Economist by Profession
Jan 20, 2003
Just need to get this off my chest....

I am going to answer you this time. (sorry moderator and other posters, this is off topic but this is coming up with monotonous regularity from this poster). If you did your homework (which you seem to seldom do) you would know why I was asking the question in this thread. You would know very clearly that the weather forum is run by a group of enthusiastic hobbyists and volunteers. I am an enthusiastic hobbyist and my skills are improving daily and annually. On the Caribbean weather thread I may be the voice, but there are two other people behind the effort helping and checking my work, and two great professional organizations from the US helping us. With hurricanes and storms, I believe that the group interacting on these threads are truly experienced in our conditions - which is exactly what we need.

For myself, I learnt to interpret weather on the water, so to speak, while sailing these waters. While sailing, we learnt to set up discussion groups with other boats on the water to discuss the conditions regularly, and to learn from others. This is more or less the format that we follow on the DR1. Many of the other weather people involved learnt weather the same way, having to save our asses out on the water. In the three years that this specific group has been reporting weather for the DR1, we have all learnt a tremendous amount and we continue learning. Our combined knowledge and the service to the DR1 community made this board number one on all the search term clusters for the weather in the Dominican Republic. The thing that makes this group great, is that we do not pretend to know it all, but we know who to listen to and where to find the knowledge - most of all, we understand our own limitations and know when to ask for help when we need it. If you can do better, have at it. It takes a lot of time, effort and persistence from all of us and we would welcome some help.

Reminds me of the various times I have had to respond to similar comments, just as Chris has been doing in the quoted one above.

And you want to know what is the worst?! When people accuse you of plagiarism, BUT they never come forth with the evidence! Usually, people make accusations AFTER they have evidence, apparently that is not the case with some DR1ers!

Imagine people saying that Chris is simply re-writing whatever is posted on Weather.com! Well, Chris could know the basics of weather forecasting and such, but basic information is available anywhere. Now, if someone accuses Chris of not being an expert in Weather and say she is simply copying info from weather.com then how can she possibly assure everyone that she knows what she is saying and in addition, she is not copying anything from anyone or any site?

It's a position where you are damned if you do and damned if you don't.

In either case, the evidence which is suppose to be supplied by the accuser fails to come forth or their evidence is towards something as basic as what's the difference between GDP and GNP, something that students who take one basic microeconomic course would know - let alone a million sites or someone who is an economist!

So, Chris knows what she does about weather reporting and she posts what she knows. Problem is, when what she posts is basic knowledge anyone can make an accusation of her copying info even when she is not!

Damned if you, damned if you don't, but where is the smoking gun???

Take from my experience, once people are hook on a particular thought, they will go length to prove to themselves and others that they are right about you. It's best to avoid such comments or respond briefly.

This is the last thing I will say regarding unfounded accusations some members accuse others, while failing to follow up with proof!

-NALs

Last edited:

Lizard Lips

Apr 26, 2004
I like DR1.COM cause its helped me lot and even nal has help me so I having a hard time understnding why a DR1.COM member need to start a thead to atack another DR1.COM member.

LL

Mirador

On Permanent Vacation!
Apr 15, 2004
Edited by Robert: Mirador, enjoy your vacation. About a day or so should do it.

Carry on...

Last edited by a moderator:

Tordok

Bronze
Oct 6, 2003
not off-topic, simply beyond

Beign a talented writer or an astute debater does not nececessarily make some people right and others wrong.

It is truly amazing to see self-described intellectuals spend so much brain fuel in what amounts to a peeing-contest. It is kind of cute when kids do this, but rather annoying, when grown-ups who are supposedly trying to learn from one another fall for these tactics.

From the get-go this thread is not about economics, credentials, ideological perspectives or any other such topic; it is a thread about as predictable and as repetitive as most of us actually are in real life.

Internet groups/forums/listservers etc, end up following the same 'universal' patterns that real human groups do. Like many species we form social units. At a price. Clashes of the type seen between some DR1 members here are par for the course.

It seems that people need to keep this in mind as they go on with attacking other posters. I know that many people come to these cyberspaces to live out their fantasies, but every once in a while it is good to remember that
just because we are capable of cyberanonymity that shouldn't exempt us from keeping personal integrity. Our psychosocial biases do come into play in these forums, and our insttincts too. We're just too busy thinking that we are very smart to notice that many of these things are quite basic mammalian social behaviors. Everyone, except for some truly disturbed people, has varying levels of urges for the comfort of social conformity, the impulse to use intellectual bullying, the self-serving capacity of forming triangular alliances to defeat perceived opponents, a desire for public recognition, bits of neophilia and tads of neophobia, and of course sometimes some people are basically incompatible.

:paranoid: :pirate:
cheers,
- Tordok

***I know that Wikipedia is not the apex of consitency, but this link does provide some reasonably coherent context to what I'm trying to point out.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Group_dynamics

Status
Not open for further replies.