Construction: Realistic price per square foot (US dollars) ... opinions please

Expat13

Silver
Jun 7, 2008
We built 4 years ago at about $100 a square foot

Bob K
It seems even labour is getting closer to North American pricepoints. I recall building in a nice area of Vancouver, construction cost were 150cdn per sq. ft again about 4 yeras ago...

Chip

Platinum
Jul 25, 2007
Santiago
It seems even labour is getting closer to North American pricepoints. I recall building in a nice area of Vancouver, construction cost were 150cdn per sq. ft again about 4 yeras ago...

Labor is a lot cheaper that in the States. When someone is paying US100 a foot they are paying a lot of overhead.

The best way to get a price is to individually contract an engineer to the plans and admin if they can get you something at 20% or below of the const. cost. Obviously buying from an established builder means they will have higher overhead too, like those trips to Disney and Paris. :)

Castellamonte

Bronze
Mar 3, 2005
Cabrera
www.villa-castellamonte.com
When I worked in the real estate biz I always quoted people $100/f2 to be safe. I've seen $240/f2 but that's extremely fancy. I don't know if the $110/f2 Bill Webster quoted included his solar power system but if he did then that's a great price. His solar power system was top drawer last I saw it.

tflea

Bronze
Jun 11, 2006
$100 sq ft is for good quality and a good ballpark figure. But concrete and rebar and wood keeps going up and up.

Chip

Platinum
Jul 25, 2007
Santiago
$100 sq ft is for good quality and a good ballpark figure. But concrete and rebar and wood keeps going up and up.

Is that built to suit or buying something already made? Is that also for concrete block const?

It can be done for a lot less.

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
Is that built to suit or buying something already made? Is that also for concrete block const?

It can be done for a lot less.

The $100 I mention was build to suit = custom.

As far as costs, my wife and I went with the builder to SDQ and Santiago on shopping trips.
We selected every tile, including roof, every toilet and faucet, every light fixture.... and so on.
Therefore we knew a lot of the costs. Much of the buying took advantage of sale pricing.

The big numbers are in the cement, land preparation (if thats needed) and the labor.
Ours is concrete block and wooden timbers/beams.
I could have squeezed the budget a bit harder, but I doubt it ever would get below $75.

Everybody chooses to live a certain way... our house is No American by any standard.

A good solar system will be be around $40-50,000...... I'm guessing here b/c panels were $1300 when I bought them. The market has changed. I just added two more - Sanyo 195W, $600 each. Not all panels are created equal. Some function better on a cloudy day. You really need to have good advice to get your money's worth... lowest price isn't always the way to go --- IMO. Read the performance stats.

As we said earlier, the simple answer to the simple question of "How much a foot?" is not simple.:ermm:
There are a lot of variables to consider.

All of our wooden doors were made locally, not prefab.
The big doors, patio doors are German... hurricane proof and VERY costly, but also a burglar deterrent and maintenance free, no painting/varnish needed EVER (PVC).

You can tint the stucco to avoid future painting expenses - we did.

Little things add up, but add to the enjoyment and lifestyle.

Gary, you need to look for your comfort level on quality and lifestyle. Some houses here are a bit less than what Canadians/Americans/Europeans are used to seeing. Nothing wrong with that.

The tropical climate allows variations in building techniques not otherwise available.

bull123

Feb 23, 2012
This is a really good thread ... A lot of questions answered here that I (and many others) probably always wondered about ... Finally answered as best they can be answered ... thanks guys ... What do you think is a reasonable time period (based on your experience) for construction? ... I've been communicating in private with a very good local builder, but I am curious what the individual experiences have been on the North Coast ... Gary

Chip

Platinum
Jul 25, 2007
Santiago
The $100 I mention was build to suit = custom.

As far as costs, my wife and I went with the builder to SDQ and Santiago on shopping trips.
We selected every tile, including roof, every toilet and faucet, every light fixture.... and so on.
Therefore we knew a lot of the costs. Much of the buying took advantage of sale pricing.

The big numbers are in the cement, land preparation (if thats needed) and the labor.
Ours is concrete block and wooden timbers/beams.
I could have squeezed the budget a bit harder, but I doubt it ever would get below $75.

Everybody chooses to live a certain way... our house is No American by any standard.

A good solar system will be be around $40-50,000...... I'm guessing here b/c panels were $1300 when I bought them. The market has changed. I just added two more - Sanyo 195W, $600 each. Not all panels are created equal. Some function better on a cloudy day. You really need to have good advice to get your money's worth... lowest price isn't always the way to go --- IMO. Read the performance stats.

As we said earlier, the simple answer to the simple question of "How much a foot?" is not simple.:ermm:
There are a lot of variables to consider.

All of our wooden doors were made locally, not prefab.
The big doors, patio doors are German... hurricane proof and VERY costly, but also a burglar deterrent and maintenance free, no painting/varnish needed EVER (PVC).

You can tint the stucco to avoid future painting expenses - we did.

Little things add up, but add to the enjoyment and lifestyle.

Gary, you need to look for your comfort level on quality and lifestyle. Some houses here are a bit less than what Canadians/Americans/Europeans are used to seeing. Nothing wrong with that.

The tropical climate allows variations in building techniques not otherwise available.

A couple of question WW:

1 Was the whole roof tiled?
2 How many sf was your house?
3 Did you have mahogany windows?

With regard to the house we are building that will be less than US50 a month the owner has picked the floor tiles, Spanish roof tiles, mahogany woodwork, paint etc.

I know how much labor and materials are here and I can't figure how to get to US100 a foot. More than likely, as is custom here in the DR, if someone wants a house "de primera" this is an excuse to mark up the profits. In other words here in the DR "quality" and "economy" are not used in the same sentence and the builders figure if you are willing to pay for the best construction and materials you can pay them a premium price to administer it. It is a lucrative business that's for sure.

BTW, I'm basing my numbers on a house I am building for a DR1'er using only the best construction materials from the best building supplier on the island, Ferr. Ochoa. the house has Spanish tiles, expensive ceramic tiles and all mahogany woodwork incl. woodwork.

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
Yes Chip , all tiled roof with wooden beams and planking - not a cement understructure.
No , the windows and patio doors are the expensive German ones, PVC that hinge all ways - open normally, fold back and hinge open at the top. Ant way you want them to. Really expensive, but built for life.
The company is in Santiago

House is about 3000 sq ft.

My price involved, demolishing a casita that was here and preparing the site by levelling it considerably.

The interior and front doors are wooden, made locally but not mahogany, I don't think.

Builder is here in Cabrera, french Cdn and very reputable. As I said, on time - on budget.
We designed it with him.

Three buildings.... main bldg = kithchen, Liv room, dining room , office, 1/2 bath
Our main bedroom bath in another and a 2 storey 2 bedroom/bath guest house.
Garage and planta and laundry in a separate bldg (making it 4 in all, I guess)

Gary, as to time line, my contractor had a big bid in for a project and was waiting to land it..... so he had time for my little project.
I had him and his two project managers totally dedicated to my build and his core/best workers.

We were done in 7 months, more or less. That was considered quite a feat.

Hope this helps somebody...

I guess you could do it for $50 Chip..... but I always think of the Three Little Pigs story:D

donluis99

Bronze
Jul 12, 2004
We just finished, (will hang the doors this weekend) 850 sq. ft. 3 beedroom, 2 bath addition, 7 large and 3 small good quality double pane windows, 9 each solid aniroba doors, frames and jambs quality hardware, spanish tile roof, decent ceramic all through, bath fixtures very good, custom shower in the master bath and high vaulted ceiling 14 ft. in the center.

All columns and beams, all 1/2" rebar, all windows completly framed in by re-enforced concrete 6" x 8" top, side and bottom, pitched roof 2/12 all rebar 8" c/c both directions, kids 2 rooms have ceiling fans, Master has 2 each 72" ceiling fans.

oh and all 1 coat primer and 2 coats paint, Sherwin williams.....

All in every single bit for US$62.00 sq. ft.

I can not even imagine the type of palace I could build for US$110.00 sq. ft. WOW!

g'luck

Last edited:

Chip

Platinum
Jul 25, 2007
Santiago
Yes Chip , all tiled roof with wooden beams and planking - not a cement understructure.
No , the windows and patio doors are the expensive German ones, PVC that hinge all ways - open normally, fold back and hinge open at the top. Ant way you want them to. Really expensive, but built for life.
The company is in Santiago

House is about 3000 sq ft.

My price involved, demolishing a casita that was here and preparing the site by levelling it considerably.

The interior and front doors are wooden, made locally but not mahogany, I don't think.

Builder is here in Cabrera, french Cdn and very reputable. As I said, on time - on budget.
We designed it with him.

Three buildings.... main bldg = kithchen, Liv room, dining room , office, 1/2 bath
Our main bedroom bath in another and a 2 storey 2 bedroom/bath guest house.
Garage and planta and laundry in a separate bldg (making it 4 in all, I guess)

Gary, as to time line, my contractor had a big bid in for a project and was waiting to land it..... so he had time for my little project.
I had him and his two project managers totally dedicated to my build and his core/best workers.

We were done in 7 months, more or less. That was considered quite a feat.

Hope this helps somebody...

I guess you could do it for $50 Chip..... but I always think of the Three Little Pigs story:D

Thanks. The things you mentioned do add cost but mostly I expect due to the "luxury" factor. I think it could have probably done for US85 a foot but would have taken some shopping around.

Chip

Platinum
Jul 25, 2007
Santiago
Here are some labor costs based on my conversations with fellow students engineers at PUCMM and my experience building here:

Junior site engineer US400/month
Senior site engineer US1050/month
Maestro US650/month
daily laborers US200-250 month

Workweek based on 5/6 day workweek.

For contracted work the engineer/maestro can make more.

Others may claim other numbers but that would only be valid for working for international companies like Barrick Gold or big resort projects.

Camden Tom

Bronze
Dec 1, 2002
We just finished, (will hang the doors this weekend) 850 sq. ft. 3 beedroom, 2 bath addition, 7 large and 3 small good quality double pane windows, 9 each solid aniroba doors, frames and jambs quality hardware, spanish tile roof, decent ceramic all through, bath fixtures very good, custom shower in the master bath and high vaulted ceiling 14 ft. in the center.

All columns and beams, all 1/2" rebar, all windows completly framed in by re-enforced concrete 6" x 8" top, side and bottom, pitched roof 2/12 all rebar 8" c/c both directions, kids 2 rooms have ceiling fans, Master has 2 each 72" ceiling fans.

oh and all 1 coat primer and 2 coats paint, Sherwin williams.....

All in every single bit for US$62.00 sq. ft.

I can not even imagine the type of palace I could build for US$110.00 sq. ft. WOW!

g'luck
Just curious, at $62/sq ft, does that include a swimming pool, parimeter wall, landscapeing, etc?

donluis99

Bronze
Jul 12, 2004
does not include the Perimeter Wall or the pool, the op asked the question:

For good quality ... not Lions Gate quality =) ... any realistic estimates ... thanks

I can look up the perimeter wall cost if you like, but that would come out per linal meter or foot, not really fair to include in the sq. ft. cost of building the house. Would you like to include the cost of the 17,000 volt 6 line cerco on top?

no pool either, maybe when the boys are bigger.

g'luck