Coronavirus - In the DR

Status
Not open for further replies.

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
It's already working from what I hear
No doubt such actions make a tremendous difference.

And in another situation which makes just as much sense:
Even after officials tell people (not in the health care field) not to wear gloves because wearing gloves can make the spread of the virus worse,
I am still seeing police handing out gloves to people in barrios and government officials wearing them when on TV. And I assume some businesses still require gloves to enter their establishments. It appears this is a difficult message to make clear.

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
In my NY Times daily email today:

3. The riddle of virus not-spots
A reminder of just how little we understand about the coronavirus: It devastates some countries but largely spares their neighbors — Iran, but not Iraq; the Dominican Republic but not Haiti; Indonesia but not Malaysia. The reasons remain murky.
The most troubling possibility: The virus just hasn’t gotten to the unaffected countries yet. One researcher said that if the pandemic was a baseball game, “it would be the second inning.”
A team of Times journalists based around the world — Hannah Beech, Alissa Rubin, Anatoly Kurmanaev and Ruth Maclean — has much more detail in their story.

AlterEgo

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
South Coast

A reminder of just how little we understand about the coronavirus: It devastates some countries but largely spares their neighbors — Iran, but not Iraq; the Dominican Republic but not Haiti; Indonesia but not Malaysia. The reasons remain murky.

The most troubling possibility: The virus just hasn’t gotten to the unaffected countries yet. One researcher said that if the pandemic was a baseball game, “it would be the second inning.”

A team of Times journalists based around the world — Hannah Beech, Alissa Rubin, Anatoly Kurmanaev and Ruth Maclean — has much more detail in their story.
Interesting. Could it be the lack of major tourism in Haiti and Iraq? I know Haiti shut airports early, maybe the only ones bringing it in are Haitians coming home from DR?

Sep 22, 2009
No doubt such actions make a tremendous difference.

And in another situation which makes just as much sense:
Even after officials tell people (not in the health care field) not to wear gloves because wearing gloves can make the spread of the virus worse,
I am still seeing police handing out gloves to people in barrios and government officials wearing them when on TV. And I assume some businesses still require gloves to enter their establishments. It appears this is a difficult message to make clear.
My motoconcho was wearing the same gloves everyday. I said you realize that is 1000 times worse than bare hands. I got him to not use them. The Conchos have it tough because they are in the streets all day except for lunch, very few places to wash their hands. Tons of money transacting in their hands too.

Reactions: Africaida

Africaida

Gold
Jun 19, 2009
Interesting. Could it be the lack of major tourism in Haiti and Iraq? I know Haiti shut airports early, maybe the only ones bringing it in are Haitians coming home from DR?

Probably, a combination of factors. I would also guess that the fact that Dominicans are much more mobile than Haitians (I know many Haitian from the diaspora who never visit back for fear and kidnapping etc...). Also, the fact that the largest Dominican community overseas is in the most infected spot in the world doesn't help i.e NYC.
But, it is interesting to compare. Jamaica while much smaller has only 3 deaths per million while DR has around 30. Both are touristy, with Jamaican diaspora visiting their island regularly.I think Jamaica closed a little earlier and has more severe lock down in Parish which has more cases.

Chirimoya

Dec 9, 2002
Costa Rica is one Latin American success story - quick translation of an excerpt from the article in Spanish:

The EBAIS [Comprehensive Basic Health Care Teams] system has been the first line of response to the pandemic in Costa Rica and one of the key factors that have enabled the country to have the lowest case fatality rate for COVID-19 in Latin America, experts say.

Almost two months after the first case was detected in the country, only six patients have died and as of this Wednesday, only 16 people were in hospital out of some 400 active cases.

More than 320 people have recovered from the disease.

"Our best vaccine against COVID-19 is to have a disciplined and educated population and a fairly consolidated health system," Dr. Luis Villalobos, Costa Rica's public health expert, told BBC Mundo.

"We don't spend on an army, but we do spend a lot on health, social security, and education, and that has been very important," adds the also former dean of the Faculty of Medicine at the University of Costa Rica.

Sep 22, 2009
32 comments on this post and not one questions the curve. No observations on the curve
Screenshot_20200504-122944.png

MarJD

Aug 29, 2012

Those countries may not be properly reporting it.

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
Costa Rica is one Latin American success story - quick translation of an excerpt from the article in Spanish:

How can there be an ultimate success if there is no herd immunity?

habi

Oct 17, 2015
There will only be herd immunity once there is an effective vaccine and mass vaccination.

Why?
To my understanding of herd immunity it can also be reached if enough people get the virus and get immune to it... Like a kind of the swedish way (where the numbers go also down without killing the hole economy...)
Vaccine could acelerate it but if and when one be available is still not sure....

Intersting also that for example in Germany the Heinsberg study showed a mortality rate of 0.37 % in a town where they had a severe outbreak of Covid-19 do to a caneval party..... No vacccine there, just Starkbier... :cool:

Reactions: Clandestino

drstock

Silver
Oct 29, 2010
Cabarete
The Catholic Church held a blessing of Santo Domingo from the air to end soon the Covid-19 epidemic. The blessing took place with a priest from Santo Domingo riding an Armed Forces helicopter (aka, owned by the government) over the city. It must be said that the Catholic Church is the official religion of the DR and the Dominican government.

An excellent use of scarce government resources!;)

Status
Not open for further replies.