Coronavirus - In the DR

Status
Not open for further replies.

malko

Campesino !! :)
Jan 12, 2013
Actually, if it keeps the spirits of the general population high, well then yes, it is an excellent use of military resources. Just as the helicopters with La Bandera were. It is a shame some foreigners will never understand.

Behind door #1. We have an uninterrupted drinkable water system connected to every household.

Behind door #2. We have wages for the workers that allow a dignified living.

Behind door #3. We have a vietnam-era-US-captured-by-the-vietcong-shipped-to-china-gifted-to-the-DR-in-exchange-for-unfair-buisness-contracts-in-2017 helicopter flyover SD........

Dang.seems the people of DR pulled the short straw...... again......again.

Big

Apr 24, 2019
Behind door #1. We have an uninterrupted drinkable water system connected to every household.

Behind door #2. We have wages for the workers that allow a dignified living.

Behind door #3. We have a vietnam-era-US-captured-by-the-vietcong-shipped-to-china-gifted-to-the-DR-in-exchange-for-unfair-buisness-contracts-in-2017 helicopter flyover SD........

Dang.seems the people of DR pulled the short straw...... again......again.
that is no doubt an old surplus Huey donated by uncle sam. I also noticed the military carrying some vintage M16's

Wheathead

Sep 10, 2011
Why?
To my understanding of herd immunity it can also be reached if enough people get the virus and get immune to it... Like a kind of the swedish way (where the numbers go also down without killing the hole economy...)
Vaccine could acelerate it but if and when one be available is still not sure....
Apparently you need 75% of your population to have had the virus for herd immunity to work.
Currently DR has 759 infections per 1 million people with a mortality rate of 4.2%
Sweden has 2299 infections per 1 mill with a mortality rate of 12.3%

Herd Immunity isn't working in Sweden when you are killing 12.3% of those infected...

Sep 22, 2009
Apparently you need 75% of your population to have had the virus for herd immunity to work.
Currently DR has 759 infections per 1 million people with a mortality rate of 4.2%

Herd Immunity isn't working in Sweden when you are killing 12.3% of those infected...
You do not know infections per cápita because there are numerous who are not and/or will not be tested.

Reactions: Garyexpat

austriaco

Mar 16, 2020
Like a kind of the swedish way

Intersting also that for example in Germany the Heinsberg study showed a mortality rate of 0.37 % in a town where they had a severe outbreak of Covid-19 do to a caneval party..... No vacccine there, just Starkbier... :cool:

the authors of the Heinsberg study say themself that it was not designed to calculate the mortality. There was only 7 dead in the sample and therefore too much depends on luck, on the age groups infected in that village or any single death not counted makes a difference. It is consensus in science that that mortality number can not be used for conclusions on general mortality rates - only the press and armchair-virologist do that.

according to the swedish government the "swedish modell" is a myth based on new articles and they are no where near heard immunity. (Single digit like most countries)

austriaco

Mar 16, 2020
You do not know infections per cápita because there are numerous who are not and/or will not be tested.
Thats correct, however there is a study where they twice pcr tested a large random sample in Austria large enough to 95% sure know the actual number. They did in total 300000 PCR tests in a country the size of DR. This was like testing everyone using statistical methodes to do it with only 300000 pcr tests.

including all the asymptomatic and hidden cases it results in 1 - 2% mortality.

it is between 1 and 2 % because of the 95% confidence interfall borders. To be 95% sure to account for the undedected cases. Death only counts for dying of covit and not dying with covit. If anythings the mortality could be higher. But quite sure not less then1% based on a country. This is not a sample or a village but a 9 million nation.

Sep 22, 2009
Thats correct, however there is a study where they twice pcr tested a large random sample in Austria large enough to 95% sure know the actual number. They did in total 300000 PCR tests in a country the size of DR. This was like testing everyone using statistical methodes to do it with only 300000 pcr tests.

including all the asymptomatic and hidden cases it results in 1 - 2% mortality.

it is between 1 and 2 % because of the 95% confidence interfall borders. To be 95% sure to account for the undedected cases. Death only counts for dying of covit and not dying with covit. If anythings the mortality could be higher. But quite sure not less then1% based on a country. This is not a sample or a village but a 9 million nation.
There is no large random sample tested here. We have no idea who and where are getting tested. We don't know the agenda, but it is clear from the published curves coming out of this place, it's just too linear. This is not Austria, UK, US.

Reactions: Garyexpat

austriaco

Mar 16, 2020
In my NY Times daily email today:

3. The riddle of virus not-spots

A reminder of just how little we understand about the coronavirus: It devastates some countries but largely spares their neighbors — Iran, but not Iraq; the Dominican Republic but not Haiti; Indonesia but not Malaysia. The reasons remain murky.

many weeks ago a study allready found a direct connection between number of cases and the direct airline connection a country has to other countries and to level of tourismo. The Haiti to DR comparison is not difficult to understand in that light.

This is fascinating how the press is reinventing the wheel again and again and discussing a topic which was kind of solved weeks ago.

I guess this is only valid for the first wave, after that Haiti will as well grow its cases, just later and slower.

Reactions: drstock

austriaco

Mar 16, 2020
How did you receive it? Is it possible to share the "bright and shiny" version? And most importantly, is it "official"?
I did investigate. I was told its not official but it came from a government source not from that webpage. It looks like a printed material high quality scanned or some powerpoint. Its professional looking, no fligh-by-night printshopjob of a crazy..

I guess I would put someone into trouble if I publish it on a public forum.

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
I did investigate. I was told its not official but it came from a government source not from that webpage. It looks like a printed material high quality scanned or some powerpoint. Its professional looking, no fligh-by-night printshopjob of a crazy..

I guess I would put someone into trouble if I publish it on a public forum.
What a pity. Is that not what public forums are for? :devilish:

• Haha
Reactions: austriaco

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004

It is way too early to see the results of herd immunity. Even in Sweden.

Reactions: slowmo

Wheathead

Sep 10, 2011
It is way too early to see the results of herd immunity. Even in Sweden.
Agreed - but for herd immunity to work, it requires a high number of the population is protected by having a PREVIOUS infection or has been VACCINATED. These two conditions are very low in the world.
NYC did a recent random testing of random neighborhood and found their rate was around 25% which they said was way too low for herd immunity to work...without suffering a higher percentage of deaths.

But we shall see when this thing eventually is under control or eradicated.

Reactions: Vogali
Status
Not open for further replies.