Cost of living information

curious29

Sep 20, 2012
when I was travelling hard (changing place every 3-5 days), I was spending like 30-40 usd/ day. When I settled in a little its easy to live on 20 usd/ day or less...

Feb 7, 2007
If you need A/C try to look into the "inverter type" split AC units. they are more expensive than the regular split AC units, but save up to 40% of energy. My 12000 BTU regular AC split units runs at 1200 W, so running them 10 hours a day (7 hours home office, 3 hours bedroom at night) results in about 350 kWh usage per month ... that is about 2800 pesos, or 70 dollars, PER MONTH. I have a separate meter for AC only. If you use inverter split type, you can easily save 30-40% off that. Also, January through mid-march my AC was practically turned off, no need for it, in those 3 months I ran maybe 30 kWh in total.

mountainannie

Platinum
Dec 11, 2003
elizabetheames.blogspot.com
the only problem that I see is your wanting to be by a beach that is not a tourist area. ??????
all the beaches-- except in the South and North West..are tourist areas.

Maybe there are some areas which are not overrun. Perhaps the North Coast from Sosua to the east?

some others may be able to find that for you.

1k does not leave much room for a lot of partying or extras.

Hold onto those savings in order to be sure to be able to go back if you are not happy here.

Criss Colon

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
yahoomail.com
My "ACs" cost about 3,000 pesos a month each to run.
About 12 hours a day each.
One "Invertor", two older types.
CCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCC
And worth every peso!
CCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCC

Jenny429

Oct 10, 2005
Depends where you are going to live.. When I lived in one campo, it was too far from the big city to go often, so I spent the minimal.. I lived with 3 kids, 2 adults for about $1100 a month.. Those were the days.. We were able to grow our savings.. Mind you this is from someone who had everything for the house.. The most expensive time is when you first come to the country.. I spent a lot of money to get "Comfortable" so that 800 a month was PURELY living. We lived on the beach, and would drive about 15 minutes on a motorcycle to a different beach a few times a week. We don't drink..

Then I moved to Santo Domingo.. My rent was only 1,000 pesos more. It was a smaller apartment, but my expenses were about 1700.00 a month. I hate Santo Domingo..

Now I live in San Fran. My expenses are about 1400... Now mind you.. it depends on how you live. I have given you ONLY living expenses and no added pleasures. We just took a mini vacation to Barahona at the end of March, and I spent over $400 bucks. We let loose. We don't eat very often. Maybe Pizza once every 9 days or so.. other than that we don't. I do have a trajabadora full-time.. And my kids are homeschooled.

I can't say I would live here comfortably on 1100. That is no wiggle room for expenses.. That is no wiggle room for emergencies or, wiggle room for fun. That's the raw figure. No frills.. So I would say maybe 1 person would be fine with 1100. But no idea.

Jen

LTSteve

Gold
Jul 9, 2010
If you own your apartment than this is the breakdown:

Living like a Gringo on the Samana Pen, not roughing it

$150 a month on average, electricity
$40 a month Sat TV
$125 Gas for Suv
$425 a month for groceries
$145 a month for HOA fees
$200 for incidental expenses