Cost of X-box Video Game Consules?

Guatiao

El Leon de los Cacicazgos
Mar 27, 2004
Hi,

My mom told a dieing cousin of mine we would send him my Xbox (original) which has been gathering dust for about 2 years, but unfortunately he has taken a turn for the worst and I believe if I send it now that he won't get to play with it. Anyway since I don't have access to the Dominican market I told my mom to tell me how much it cost and simply give them the money. She is technologically past her prime and keeps telling them I'm sending a "Nintendo" anyway, I would like to know the cost of an Xbox. I found an auctioning sites but the prices are a bit outrageous one person is selling it for 7,000 pesos! That's close to 200 dollars! I've seen Xboxes sell as cheap as 15 dollars on Ebay (excluding shipping). I was also told my mom it is best to send them the money because if he does past away sooner rather than later (as doctors expect... given last rites, etc.) that it could be used for funeral services, etc.

Anyway any insights would help.

Chrismic

Mar 28, 2008
First, there are two types of X box. xbox and xbox 360
The first model is now very old and it comes very, very few new games to this old machine.

The new xbox 360 model, have all the time new games.

I would not buy a used xbox, can very fast be problems with the lens.
And remember games are expensive, cost nearly 50 dollar each,

Another possibility is buy a modified xbox 360, that let you play downloaded games, you can make disk copy. You will loose guaranty is you open the machine to modofide, but often will the modifier repair it.
A cheaper solution in the longer time, cheaper games..

Chip

Platinum
Jul 25, 2007
Santiago
Don't buy any games or consoles here in the DR. Send them the xbox you have via Business Mail or Vimenpaq and they won't have to pay taxes. Add a handmade receipt for the cost you estimate that it's worth - US70. Xbox games are very cheap in the US easily from US5 and up - check with gamestop or online with ebay or Amazon. You can not do it any cheaper than I have described.

Chrismic

Mar 28, 2008
Don't buy any games or consoles here in the DR. Send them the xbox you have via Business Mail or Vimenpaq and they won't have to pay taxes. Add a handmade receipt for the cost you estimate that it's worth - US70. Xbox games are very cheap in the US easily from US5 and up - check with gamestop or online with ebay or Amazon. You can not do it any cheaper than I have described.

Even that is very seldom, it comes new Xbox games, is it a lot of good old games, you could buy used and cheap, as Chip good suggestion in his post.

Chip.,maybe you can help me, in my next long trip to Cuba and DR, would I very much like to have a modified Xbox 360.
I have now in Europa a modified Xbox 360, but need to repair it.
And in Europa, use we the Pal system.
I wonder if it is possible to modified it to take both systems ?

Do you know if it is possible to buy a new modified Xbox 360 in DR ?
Where is it cheapest to buy,DR or USA ?
Or should I order it true a webside in USA and ship to my address in DR ?
And will it cost a lot of costum taxes to take into DR true mail ?

Thanks...

Chip

Platinum
Jul 25, 2007
Santiago
Even that is very seldom, it comes new Xbox games, is it a lot of good old games, you could buy used and cheap, as Chip good suggestion in his post.

Chip.,maybe you can help me, in my next long trip to Cuba and DR, would I very much like to have a modified Xbox 360.

Thanks...

According to xbox, the xbox 360 will work with PAL as well as the American system.

Xbox 360 FAQs - Xbox

The best places to get a used xbox are at Gamestop.com - Buy PS3, PS2, PSP, Wii, DS, Xbox 360, Used, PC Games and Consoles or www.ebay.com .

Guatiao

Mar 27, 2004
First, there are two types of X box. xbox and xbox 360
The first model is now very old and it comes very, very few new games to this old machine.

The new xbox 360 model, have all the time new games.

I would not buy a used xbox, can very fast be problems with the lens.
And remember games are expensive, cost nearly 50 dollar each,

Another possibility is buy a modified xbox 360, that let you play downloaded games, you can make disk copy. You will loose guaranty is you open the machine to modofide, but often will the modifier repair it.
A cheaper solution in the longer time, cheaper games..

I was talking about the original Xbox (aka Black). I'm not a gamer but I know my game tech pretty well. Anyway I know things in DR are way different than the US and "luxury" items can cost 2 or 3 times more even if they are old.

Thanks Chip for your info, when I get back to NY I'll see how much it will cost me to ship it, and if not then I'll send money so they can spend it as they see fit.

Guatiao

Mar 27, 2004

Thanks...

You cannot modify an Xbox 360 to play both Pal and NTSC games, just isn't possible. Some people have tried to add Pal to NTSC converters between the xbox and tv but that isn't a sure thing to work, and those converters aren't cheap. Your best bet is to buy a Falcon or Jasper based chip Xbox since they have the lowest failure rates. You can find a Falcon based chip "Xbox 360 Arcade" for as cheap as 85 dollars on Ebay (excluding shipping). The Jasper is the latest and will set you back at least 200 dollars.

I still wonder how much these things cost in DR but there isn't even 1 site on the whole world wide web to give me the numbers I need.

Reena

Nov 22, 2012
Do you need a special power cord and/or surge protector to play your Xbox in the Dominican Republic? I'm thinking of buying one for a friend of ours there.