crucigramas

Status
Not open for further replies.

rolfdog

Oct 9, 2006
Does anybody have a link to new york times quality crosswords in spanish?

Along with newspaper headlines, it is another tool to gain fluency. IMO it is the epitome of fluency. I never see someone (no matter how well educated) with english as their second language, tackle a sunday crossword, unless they are fluent or truly bilingual.

I tried el pais but couldn't find the link to crucigrama.

Marianopolita

Former Spanish forum Mod 2010-2021
Dec 26, 2003
Alternatives

Steve,

Although I don't do crossword puzzles as a past time, I consider them very good indeed from a language perspective just to get one thinking and to increase one's vocabulary not fluency IMO. Even the basic skill level to an increased level of difficulty forces one to think and even more so in another language. I was not aware that El Pa?s had a crucigrama page however, I have seen them in other Spanish newspapers that I read occasionally. Here are two:

EL COLOMBIANO | PORTADA

Look on the left hand side, go to the section Entretenimiento and you will find the daily crossword. If the link is down try it again later.

List?n Diario Digital - El Dinero

List?n Diario also has a daily crossword in the El Dinero section. Go to the bottom right hand side of page and you will see juegos&crucigramas.

It's worth trying crossword puzzles from other newspapers as an alternative.

-LDG.

Last edited:

rolfdog

Oct 9, 2006
Yes thank you Lesley. Those crosswords are good challenges but they still lack the complexity of english xwords where ALL horizontal and vertical axes combine to form answers. Is it fair to say that xwords are not as popular in Spanish as they are in English?

Steve

Marianopolita

Former Spanish forum Mod 2010-2021
Dec 26, 2003
Siempre a la orden-

mkohn & Steve you are both welcome.

Yes thank you Lesley. Those crosswords are good challenges but they still lack the complexity of english xwords where ALL horizontal and vertical axes combine to form answers. Is it fair to say that xwords are not as popular in Spanish as they are in English?
Steve

Steve, I can't give you an answer because I don't do crossword puzzles much. However, I see them online all the time because I read a variety of newspapers. Keep searching and I am sure you will find some that you can enjoy. Do a search on google under 'crucigramas'. I found one more that I think you will enjoy from Hoyonline de Ecuador. Give it a try.

HOYONLINE-CRUCIGRAMA

-LDG.

Norma Rosa

Bronze
Feb 20, 2007

Steve

Growing up in the DR, at home we always did the crucigrama from El Caribe. They were the same as those you are talking about in English.

Jaranda

Nov 21, 2008
Crosswords

Try the Sunday crossword in the Estampas section of El Universal, from Caracas. It can be difficult.
The daily crossword in Hoy, from Ecuador, is much easier, but is a very nice little mental exercise. Sometimes they forget to put it in, but it's usually there.

Status
Not open for further replies.