Cuban Threat?

bilijou

Jun 13, 2006
sancocho,

Tourism has only flourished with all these megaprojects in the past few decades. And our long-term plans do include Tourism. Why wouldn?t they? It is our largest source of revenue and the strongest pillar in the economy.

Despite my efforts, everybody has focused in Tourism. Whether it is tourism, sugar, textiles or technology, Value Added is the path to prosperity. This is what is on Leonel?s mind, our long-term plan.

abe

Jan 2, 2002
"A Nation of Waiters"

Decades ago a governor of Puerto Rico made it very clear that he did not want his Island to become a nation of waiters. For a while, depending on the US tax provisions, there were various boom industries in PR that cycled in and out of favor.

This enabled PR to diversify its economy--however, if you look at the resort industry in PR now, it is changing. More high end properties are vying for waterfront locations east of San Juan.

If you look at Costa Rica and their whispered plans to raise the income required for "retirado" visas from well below $1000 US/month to $3000 US?month, it should be clear that warm weather destinations are aiming to host the wealthy baby boomers in their retirement.

Hence the activity in Punta Cana, Playa Grande, etc.

A nation of waiters is an ominous phrase, yet the reality is that a wealthier visitor/part-time resident base will indeed provide better hospitality jobs with higher salaries and tips. It is vital that the DR ratchet up its hospitality training sector to turn out better trained people.

Several sectors will require more qualified people--as the age of part time residents (with the ability to pay) increases, there will need to be more trained physical therapists. More skilled food service people will be needed as the luxury quotient goes up.

More poised and competent tour guides will be needed.

The hospitality industry obviously requires a number of entry level workers--but that's not all.

A Nation of Entrepreneurs will have a bigger, deeper-pocketed universe of part time residents who will purchase their products and services.

Therefore, this is a vote for the expansion of high end retirement communities and resorts in the DR. There is a reason Hyatt and Marriott are both in the retirement community business--people who got familiar with the brand during their working years, are choosing to retire to communities that offer the services they will need when they are older.

The DR can evolve the same way. Don't disrespect the hospitality industry--that would be a mistake.

Abe

Your wrong on the vote for retirement communities (maybe the retirement communites will help) and "seasonal resorts" (feed your family for 6 months out the year.)

Bilijou

I understood your point and I don't deny that Tourism is a large source of revenue. Tourism has to be assumed that its part of DR's plan when revenue creation is discussed. You just made is sound as if tourism in DR was just discovered and the government all of sudden decided to make it part of the long term plan for this magical world of prosperity in DR that has yet to be realized.

You can't deny that tourism alone has done very little in getting Dominicans out of poverty. Given that fact, other revenue streams must be created or strengthen. Its as simple as that. All i'm saying is diversify. Like every advanced country in the world. The ones that have progressed did not put all their eggs in one basket. DR's biggest asset is their people. Use them and not for cheap labor just for investors to make a buck. This is for both foreign investors and local investors.

Foreign investors for the most part rely on tourist or expats. These Megaprojects you speak of consist of building large gated communities to obviously get a nice return (nothing wrong that if your capitalist) and sale primarily to other foreign investors. Remember most of the cost of these new homes in DR would require your average american to get a 30 mortgage to pay for it, so you know they are not being built for the locals. How much of those dollars or pesos will go into the pockets of the locals?

Normally when you build large communites (megaprojects) you would hope to assume one thing and thats because a lot of jobs are available in that area, wrong. Its for tourist and expats and not the locals.

Leonel may have good intentions but gosh, its easy to provide a long-term plan. You can easily wash your hands from it after your term because your plan usually extends past your presidency. If it doesn't work and usually it doesn't, who will they blame. Why it doesn't work, because its the same old plan. Tourism, tourism tourism.

Again, nothing wrong with tourism, just diversify. Tourism will not save DR from poverty. Thats my opinion, and DR is not the only island that depends on tourism and those other islands are in the same poverty doodoo just like DR.

IF tourism is all that, I wonder if revenue sharing is in Leonel's, plan for the people. Or revenue sharing from the cacinos. How about these large constructions that are being built all over the North Country, will it also actually house the people that actually build them by providing creative lending to help strengthen the middle class. Will they even be allowed to walk through the gates after the construction is done? Or can these tourist dollars go towards schools that will teach these kids to become fluent in English and become bilingual and to interact with tourist since tourism is the bread winner. I doubt those are in his plans.

Last edited:

Dominican0102

Aug 30, 2006
wow this is for all u people who dont read the news or newspapaers..

f:ermm: or real you people still insist that the tourism will be the only industry to save DR....wow how ignorant can ya be...but dont take my word for it here i have proof..unlike some people

ECONOMIA DE RD CRECE UN 11.7 % EN PRIMER SEMESTRE(dominicantoday.com)

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
If you are going to quote from a source then show it with quotation marks. A link is better.

ohh yea and by the way were getting MORE tourist byt LESS revenues froem them..meaning were gettting less money from toursist yet were still expected to have the greatest GROWTH of lating america....

we have exellent resorts in all areas not just the northern area of DR...dats y more than 50 DIFERENT AIRLINES SERVE PUNTA CANA and this is no lie...go to wikipedia.com

ohh yea leonel is working on education so a higher percentage of domincans can be educated..right now an 87% can read or write..is not so far from cuban dat have a 97% literacy rate.......

and if mexico gets alot of tourist......DUHHHHHHHHH its huge it has like 110 million people and has like 25million people in the US...everyone knos about mexico....people are starting to get to kno How wonderful DR is....we have alot of things other carribeans dont have..water parks, cybernet parks, the highest peak of the of the carribean, and several different destinations with most of our people coming from europe...so please

So please i dont mean to ge arrogant but STOP DREAMING PLEASE...its gonna take cuba a A LONGGGGGGGGG TIME TO SURPASS US...

Last edited by a moderator:

Rick Snyder

Silver
Nov 19, 2003
If tourism were to expand in Cuba the same circumstances would prevail there as here. The Cubans would in fact benefit from extended job opportunities but the vast majority of the influx of monies derived would go right back out of country by the foreign owners of these establishments. The Cuban government, just like here, would pull their share of taxes and graft but the majority of the monies would not recycle into the local economy.

Expanding tourism here or in Cuba will be good for both countries and due to the uninterrupted history of tourism here the DR has an established base to work on whereas Cuba, IF change comes about, will have to once again establish that which they once had so I therefore don?t see them being a threat to the DR.

As Cuba poses no threat at the present time I think any talk of such a threat is pure speculation revolving around that gigantic, elusive word ?IF?.

The emphasis as I see it should be put on a way to capture more of those monies from tourism, sugar and other entities that are foreign owned and getting them into the local market. Until such a time as more money stays in the local economy I can?t foresee the average Dominican progressing to the point that they could with proper planning.

Tourism is the easiest of these entities to work on. Just thinking about the number of tourists that fail to leave the AI?s due to the propaganda spread by the AI operators would equate to a considerable amount of income to the local sector if addressed properly.

Rick

gibson6

*** Sin Bin ***
Jul 22, 2006
otra vez

f:ermm: or real you people still insist that the tourism will be the only industry to save DR....wow how ignorant can ya be...but dont take my word for it here i have proof..unlike some people

ECONOMIA DE RD CRECE UN 11.7 % EN PRIMER SEMESTRE(dominicantoday.com)

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

So please i dont mean to ge arrogant but STOP DREAMING PLEASE...its gonna take cuba a A LONGGGGGGGGG TIME TO SURPASS US...

Not . Another . Lame . Sockpuppet . !!??

I can't stop laughing. Domincan0102 you only made 3 post in DR! and gibson6 made 4. How many stupid postings were made???? and this talk of leaving the forum and "no one listens to you" I had assume you guys were seasoned posters that made at least 500 plus post but I look up in the corner and you guys made a combined 7 post

Ok guys, what are your regular usernames besides these username fronts.

Ok, back to the topic.

Rick Snyder

Silver
Nov 19, 2003
gibson6 just like you he is not a sockpuppet and just like you he has a tendency to not know what he is talking about and therefore posting basura.

Rick

Dominican0102

Aug 30, 2006
please

with all the respect i kno im new in this forum but i been reading it ever since..and i disagreed with what was said about DR...i think in my opinion that some of these people dont kno what their talking about DR..

according to Gidson(waterever his usernam is) all he has done is call me a sockpuppet without even backing up his statement...i mean i kno wat i post and its not basura....i give evidence ass well so the other forum people wont say that im making this up.......so with all the respect i am not here to cause a fight but to prove a point on the other hand gibson...just want to start a fight...idk if hes cuban or if hes madd at the progress of DR...but he certainly does not approve of my comments...but watever lets keep up with the point...

Dominican0102

Aug 30, 2006
Heres some proof in ENGLISH of want im talking about

ECLAC said the present economic expansion is spread across Latin America and the Caribbean, ranging between 3.5 percent and 6.5 percent for most countries of the region. The exceptions are Argentina, the DOMINICAN REPUBLIC and Venezuela, with growth rates of over 7.5 percent, while in Haiti the growth rate will be at about 2.5 percent.

http://usinfo.state.gov/xarchives/display.ht ... 07261646411xeneerg2.906436e-02

Rick Snyder

Silver
Nov 19, 2003
Dominican0101,

Great, now that we have that cleared up then I will address you on one of your posts. But before doing that I have some questions for you.

1. Are you Dominican?
2. Where do you live?
3. Is your age bracket a.(5-15), b.(16-26), c.(37-37), d.(38-49), e.(older then 50)?
4. Did you graduate from a.(high school), b.(college), c.(none of the above)?
5. Where were you educated?

I only ask this so that we may establish what experience you may have in the world, in the DR and the general availability to your contribution to this board.

Do you know the rules of this board and the purpose of this board?

In post #64 you said, ?leonel is working on education so a higher percentage of domincans can be educated..right now an 87% can read or write..is not so far from cuban dat have a 97% literacy rate?.

I?m sorry but for your information LF is NOT working on education. I would argue with your stated percentages concerning the DR and Cuba but there is no use as most of us know the lack of significance percentages play in reflecting the truth. The magic omitted words in you stating those percentages above are (ability to read and write their native tongues in an efficient manner to insure proper communication) and therein is the fallacy of talking about literacy for any country.

Being on an honesty streak let me also say that without an introduction by you and by the grammar and spelling of your posts it becomes apparent to the board that you are a recipient of a very bad education.

Rick

Dominican0102

Aug 30, 2006
excuse me sir......if i make mistakes in my grammar is cause im using slang...so please dont say what u dont kno sir...i am 17 and i study these facts. and no offense but r u american..y r u the moderator for a DOMINICAN FORUM.....also for ur imformation.. i do take HONORS CLASSES and have a very very good education..now if u want me to be PERFECT when it comes to grammar just ask me and i will...therfore please i suggest u dont make any opinions base of what i have posted...with all the respect..sir..

by the way i am Dominican and live in massachussets...srry for not introducing myself....its just dat i was a bit angered by the lack of use of proper information and sources in this forum...in other words..some people dont kno what they are talking about..

A.Hidalgo

Silver
Apr 28, 2006
Off topic but what the heck

Nobody can be so amusingly arrogant as a young man who has just discovered an old idea and thinks it is his own
Sydney Harris (1916-1986):classic:

Dominican0102

Aug 30, 2006
Hey dats not rite..."RicK Snyder" i think its better that you kick me out because i did not know that you Censor our comments....I mean my comments arent vulgar or bad..its just speak my mind in a very respectable way..What happend i thought we had FREEDOM OF SPEECH..what are u..fidel castro or something...wow what a dissapointment.....

Rick Snyder

Silver
Nov 19, 2003
OP, please excuse me from deviating from the subject matter but I feel that the following statement must be made so that certain people may understand why their posts are being edited or deleted.

As a self confessed ?bago? I have nothing better to do then sit here in front of my computer and spend a lot of time doing one of my favorite loves in life and that is reading. When a person posts on this board and I find that the information they supply to the general public fits the criteria of being ignorant, uncivil, useless and a host of other (i?s and un?s) then I do a research of their past posts. If the researching shows that the posts are interlaced with wisdom, knowledge and a general desire to help mankind then I just mark the bad posts up as a regression to their younger selves before they became educated. If, on the other hand, I find that this is not a temporary act of regression but rather a permanent condition as evidenced by all their past posts then I will make reference to it in the hopes that a moderator will take the necessary action. If the poster should make the equivocarse of posting in a forum that I have the position as moderator of then I think it goes without saying that the post will be dealt with. Let it also be understood that there are times when a useless post will be allowed to remain due to its wealth as a form of humor which is often times lacking in our path of everyday living.

Rick

Dominican0102

Aug 30, 2006
you see all i have done is post information...in which no one had and here i have people critizising me......wow by way MR. ahidalgo with all the respect just because im young i am not arrongant sir...please it seems u think only adults are the only ones who knos about the world..i watch the news and i could probably say that i know more than you....please backoff you dont know me..