Current Taxi Rates from POP Airport

Aug 31, 2011
ONE way from Rio San Juan to Puerto Plata Airport, are there any agencies or vans that pickup in RSJ and drop off at Airport? That would hold 5 people?

Reidy620

Bronze
Mar 30, 2008
www.casaellie.com
Hiya all,
Just preparing things for our return visit and wondering if the taxi cost from POP to Sosua is still US$25? Been a while since we have used one that is actually based at the airport as we are normally picked up by friends.
Thanks in advance for your replies.
Tropical Regards
Ian & Ellie
anpalmisl.gif

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
Try this fellow..... Jose josegomez/taxi@hotmail.com 809-849-8960

He works at POP airport and lives in Gaspar Hernandez.... nice guy, nice van.

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
I was a bit late for my wife at POP one time and he helped her out... knowing very well that she wouldn't be using him.

Speaks English too

Amy1

Apr 23, 2013
Anyone have any ideas on the best way to get 11 people and luggage from POP to Cabarete?

Tamborista

hasta la tambora
Apr 4, 2005
I can rent a largish SUV for 1500 pesos and make two trips. Let me know if interested.
Der Fish

How do you plan on getting past the Taxi Sindico, not too bright Pescado.
A one or two person pick-up can fly under the radar, not an SUV with two pick ups.

La Profe_1

Moderator: Daily Headline News, Travel & Tourism
Oct 15, 2003
Actually, the best idea is probably a small bus like the ones that are used for tourists who come on all-inclusive vacations. I know that when the dentists come to PP, I get a bus for 30-35 people for around five thousand pesos. My guess would be that Cabarete might be a bit more, but probably not too much more.

Tamborista

hasta la tambora
Apr 4, 2005
I've done it a couple of times so far.
Der Fish

We are all proud of you, can't you find a better way to make money that does not take Pesos out of the locals' pocket?
The tourist dollar is scarce, and you being a gypsy cab certainly does not help.

Amy1

Apr 23, 2013
Actually, the best idea is probably a small bus like the ones that are used for tourists who come on all-inclusive vacations. I know that when the dentists come to PP, I get a bus for 30-35 people for around five thousand pesos. My guess would be that Cabarete might be a bit more, but probably not too much more.

How to arrange that, please?

La Profe_1

Oct 15, 2003
If you speak Spanish, I can give you the name and telephone number of the transport company I use for medical/dental volunteer groups. You can call them, give them the details and the bus will be waiting for you at the airport. I can call tomorrow and get a price quote if you would like.

Not exactly sure how you'd handle payment. Usually, they provide transport all week, then come to my office at the end to receive payment from the funds for ground arrangements. I could ask about payment in dollars, but they might not want you to pay the driver who is just an employee of the company.

Amy1

Apr 23, 2013
If you speak Spanish, I can give you the name and telephone number of the transport company I use for medical/dental volunteer groups. You can call them, give them the details and the bus will be waiting for you at the airport. I can call tomorrow and get a price quote if you would like.

Not exactly sure how you'd handle payment. Usually, they provide transport all week, then come to my office at the end to receive payment from the funds for ground arrangements. I could ask about payment in dollars, but they might not want you to pay the driver who is just an employee of the company.

I would really appreciate the contact information for the transport company - I will pass it along to the person in our group with the best Spanish. Thanks so much for all of your help!

Tamborista

hasta la tambora
Apr 4, 2005
I would really appreciate the contact information for the transport company - I will pass it along to the person in our group with the best Spanish. Thanks so much for all of your help!

You could just take three "camionettas" Taxi-Vans right at the airport, prices are posted, and they take USD.
Really pretty easy. It should not be more than $40/VAN including tip from POP-CAB, the only Spanish you need is "Cabarete" and "Cuarenta para camionetta".

You can also email Taxi Sosua: taxisosua @ hotmail.com for a firm price quote for three vans.

Tamborista

hasta la tambora
Apr 4, 2005
Is there any job here that doesn't take pesos from a local if a gringo does it?
Der Fish

Do what you gotta' do, at least pay for an ad on dr1 if you are gonna' troll for Taxi clients here amigo.
There are other drivers on here that you are competing with that pay for the right to troll dr1 for clients.

Tamborista

hasta la tambora
Apr 4, 2005

They quoted me $105 USD from POP to Cabarete Central for three vans, TIP optional.

I sent you a PM with the email quote.

La Profe_1

Oct 15, 2003

You can call Pedro at IAMA Transport. He is not available in the office (809-586-8992) until 3 PM. Tell him the client with the dentists gave you his information.

Amy1

Apr 23, 2013
Thank you for the information - Tamborista also helped me out with contact info. I really appreciate the willingness to help!

fifilein

Mar 24, 2011
btw. anyone can give me a hint how much those publicos are from POP to PP?

i saw some newer airport shuttle busses waiting there when i departed last week, but havent used it before.