Custom Built Computers: Desktop PC's

Domingo646

Jul 31, 2016
I had a desktop custom built a few years ago, with Core i7, MSI motherboard and HDMI in a Thermaltake case. I paid 60,000 DOP to get all together. Computerstores won't do it but there are guys in Santo Domingo who can source all parts in the city. All parts in my desktop were new, not refurbished second hand. My desktop still works just fine, I burnt one motherboard, but that was my own and the powersupply's fault, not the quality of the board. I could have imported one and let customs drive me crazy, but I decided to get it built here, and let Dominicans deal with customs. I can point you to the guy who did it for me I just don't have the phone number right now. One advice..don't use FedEx to ship any computer in, those guys are insane.

Can you please point me to the guy who did it for you? Phone number?

Contact info. for more than one guy would be appreciated. If one guy is too busy, etc.

And please share some of your horror stories or insane stories with Fedex. I'm interested.

Domingo646

Jul 31, 2016
I now use Laserpaq at RD$100 per pound (1st full pound, then 0.1 increments) it's the best deal around. Takes about 1 day more than my previous shipper Pick'N'Send (still good and very reliable option) but with Pick'n'Send now at about RD$180 per pound, the savings can add up. With about 30 pounds shipped in of parts for a car A/C rebuild, I saved some nice money (which paid a large part of the bill for the installation at the mechanic shop).

That is for the topic of shipper.

PC; Buy online, Amazon, etc. and ship to DR via the shipper. Buy the case, PS, and monitor locally. PS - best brand is Omega, buy from Omegatech. Buy the case there as well, good selection and good prices. Running a business where several PCs are in production environment I can say Omega PS's always lasted me several years (other brands bought locally lasted between 3 weeks and 18 months max).

If you buy UPS, always make sue it works with inverters (if you will get inverter for your place/office). Not all UPS work/sync with inverters.

I'll contact Laserpaq.

Do you mean amazon.com like the one everyone uses in the U.S.?

Has anyone seen Tripp-Lite UPS units in the DR? I'm not interested in UPC after some bad experiences, so I'm only interested in Cyberpower
UPS or Tripp-Lite. The latter seems to get more higher ratings from power users.

Thanks for the heads-up on the fact not all UPS work/sync with inverters.

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
(Cough) Do you have any blue barrels lying around you don't need?

A barrel in the DR already would not be of use to you in this situation.

(Ahem) The Blue Barrels are readily available and purchased at any of the Dominican Freight forwarders in NY and Miami . They cost about $30 and ship fully loaded with "household goods" for about $150.

Domingo646

Jul 31, 2016
Yep, www.ebay.com with BM Cargo freight forwarder (Miami-POP) and USPS.

No, European prepaid credit card, but throuhg PayPal credit card payment (payment without an account).

Ok, thanks. I've used Ebay and I use my U.S. bank account and U.S. business paypal account.

But living in the DR changes everything.

My U.S. bank told me about the high incidence of credit card fraud, and my Canadian bank shared some info. too.
My American Express card was approved and declined and approved and declined all in one week while I was in the DR.
I talked to the bank that represents AMEX in the DR (Progreso) and they said there was no customer service to help me.
I couldn't even buy groceries.

I am not using my U.S. credit card and my U.S. Paypal account to order on Ebay from the DR. I'm not eager to attract the attention of the
fraud department. I lost enough time to those people at the Paypal resolution department (a crap shoot) after a fraudulent seller stole my money.
There are enough people who have negative enough opinions about the DR so that if I start showing more and more bank
activity over there, it could create intractable and unmanageable problems. People who come to the DR are searching for fun, or else they leave after a week or two.

It's different when you live in the DR.

SKY

Gold
Apr 11, 2004
I have used Ebay and Amazon with Paypal from the DR with both a US based card and also a Dominican Bank card with no problems.

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
I have made hundreds of purchases using both PayPal and a US based credit card on Ebay, Amazon, Home Depot, HH Gregg, etc in the US. Not a problem at all with those purchases. You should have nothing to worry about there.

The problem is when you use a US based card (or even a DR one) in the DR itself. There is so much fraud here that I no longer use credit cards at all in the DR.

Regarding ATM cards, one of my US banks will no longer process ATM transactions.

Jaime809

Bronze
Aug 23, 2012
I only use my Amex here, and occassionally my MC to rent a car. My ATM card stays safe inside, and I use WU when I need money. My ATM card only sees daylight when I travel to US.

Domingo646

Jul 31, 2016
I have made hundreds of purchases using both PayPal and a US based credit card on Ebay, Amazon, Home Depot, HH Gregg, etc in the US. Not a problem at all with those purchases. You should have nothing to worry about there.

The problem is when you use a US based card (or even a DR one) in the DR itself. There is so much fraud here that I no longer use credit cards at all in the DR.

Regarding ATM cards, one of my US banks will no longer process ATM transactions.

That's what happened to me at Jumbo in Romana.

My Amex (Canadian issued) was approved, declined, approved, declined, approved. It was frustrating.

I bought lunch then I couldn't buy groceries, I bought dinner then I couldn't buy lunch.

I went to cash only.

Then the daily ATM limits got me.

Thanks to you, Sky and everyone else, I'll go ahead with it and use my U.S. account to ship to the DR.

My hats off to Visa. It always worked in the DR at every place.

Domingo646

Jul 31, 2016
Reply to Freqexpat:
"Save yourself the headache and buy your computer before you leave and bring it with you as carry-on(Packed appropriately of course). Unless you are looking for a rack mounted server this method works fine.

Good luck. "

I'm choosing two options. I'll pack gear I have into my carry-on and buy locally.

It's a headache to work under the 50 lb. limit, though, if I try to check-in two monitors.

Domingo646

Jul 31, 2016
Two monitors one trip might draw some unwanted attention in the airport when you arrive.

You may already be aware but most monitors these days are flat screen monitors and are extremely light in the weight department. They also come packaged in boxes with handles that make them perfect for carry on luggage although you might want to put some plain paper over the outside of the box or scuff up the box a little so it doesn't look like you are bringing something in for resale(Taxes).

Yes. Unwanted attention for long-term stays, or "commercial goods", etc., was my concern. Good advice.

It looks like laptops for me. I hope more than 2 of them don't raise eyebrows.

"I work in information technology," the gringo replied.

SKY

Gold
Apr 11, 2004
Two monitors one trip might draw some unwanted attention in the airport when you arrive.

You may already be aware but most monitors these days are flat screen monitors and are extremely light in the weight department. They also come packaged in boxes with handles that make them perfect for carry on luggage although you might want to put some plain paper over the outside of the box or scuff up the box a little so it doesn't look like you are bringing something in for resale(Taxes).

Do not bring anything in a box. They always check a box. Keep it in your luggage.

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004