Cyndal family. planning on moving to DR any advice would be great

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
To the OP. The only people I recommend to come down to the DR is those with enough money to live their lives out without having to work. You are the direct opposite to that scenario.

If you think the USA is a miserable place to live/work/raise a child then you will very likely have a very rude awakening when you come to the DR and see what the opportunities are. Keep in mind that I am from the USA, my wife is from the DR and we just sent someone about your age to the USA for a better life.

bachata

Aprendiz de todo profesional de nada
Aug 18, 2007
Advice...

Take 2-3 days to read as much as possible on these forums.

I suggest you put your dream on hold and get as educated as possible in the USA, and do the same for your child.
Learn Spanish to a decent level and visit as many times as financially possible before making the move.

Life in the DR is not beaches and palm trees if you're poor or on a low income.

She didn?t said she lives in the USA, she is in America... Who know in what country, all the way from Canada to the south of Chile are plenty of countries in America, even some Dominicans consider the DR to in the Americas.

Hmm???

JJ

CaptnGlenn

Silver
Mar 29, 2010
She didn’t said she lives in the USA, she is in America... Who know in what country, all the way from Canada to the south of Chile are plenty of countries in America, even some Dominicans consider the DR to in the Americas.

Hmm???

JJ

BULL pucky... you say the word "America" to ANYONE in the world, and they know EXACTLY what you mean... I guess with the possible exception of "Bachata"

bob saunders

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
dr1.com
BULL pucky... you say the word "America" to ANYONE in the world, and they know EXACTLY what you mean... I guess with the possible exception of "Bachata"

Actually, NO, I've many Latin's tell me I am American, as in North American. I am a Canadian. Not everyone in the world has the same insular view of the WORLD as do Americans. I will concede that 99.9 % of Canadians will refer to the USA as the states, not America, but don't refer to Canada or Mexico as America.
Life , for anyone in any country is tough if you are barely making it.

kenthedentman

Apr 10, 2012
She said she was american. She didnt say canadian or chilean or mexican. She is young she doesnt know. Hell i dint know untill 2 years ago that the US was eeuu. And im freaking 45 and have been many places.

I have cousins that have never left the state they were born in much less gone to other countries. They dont even know what to think about me.

bachata

Aug 18, 2007

Some time I do, When I think like an American. You may find some of my post in DR1 where I say... Here in America!

JJ

Chichi Chichi

Jan 23, 2014
seriously you guys are being bullies, its so funny to me that a lot of you are commenting on my age and saying things, but did you see anywhere in my post where i said i wanted to move NOW???? or soon??? no you didnt so stop assuming and comment on the question and stop telling me that im to young to move with a child when my plan isnt to hop up and leave, you seem childish to bully people and say rude things, GROW UP, i asked specific question and only a few even stayed on topic, seems like im the more mature one, i have to save money finish college, it isnt something i want to do to party and hang out im trying to make a happier better life, get over yourselves and try to relate and stop judging, i would never say some of the things to people that you are saying to me, and for your info i am 19, Its sad that im such a nice sweet person and im only trying to research things and plan ahead or at least explore my options and i have all of you people that are twice my age and more being so ignorant and rude. Im blessed to have lived in America and to have a healthy child and great husband no matter what age that is, i just want to explore different cultures and have a better life. who knows i may not move to DR until im 40 but atleast i will have some info now as to if i would even want to make that a possible goal. Anyways im very unhappy with how ive been treated and feel that you people should welcome people with open arms and give advice on the culture and your experience living there not judging me on how you disagree with my lifestyle or having a kid young.

ccarabella

Feb 5, 2002
US vs DR
With no education you will make more money working a week at McDonalds
in the USA than working one month in the DR.
If you have very little income in the USA you will not do any better in DR.
Your childs life (and yours) will be much better being poor in USA than in the DR.
A full time bank teller in the DR make about US $250 a month.

DR can be a great place to live, raise a family and make friends but you have to
have a steady income and a plan B or C. It's all part of a great big puzzle and
one won't work without the other. One you throw in the stress of having a child
and a marriage, bills etc. at such a young age it will be a recipe for disaster.

Save yourself a lot of heartache and try to better your situation in the USA first.
Once you have a solid foundation then you can venture out and have the flexibility
to start over if you so wish. From what you have stated so far you are not prepared
for such a feat financially or intellectually. Please don't take it the wrong way. We
do not want to see you or that child hurt. You may be stuck here with a baby, no
food for you family and no way to gt back home.

Aug 6, 2006
People from Latin America might say "Las Americas" or "Centroamerica", but "America" in the singular is almost certainly the USA. Argentines, Chileans, Peruvians do not call their country America.

bachata

Aug 18, 2007
People from Latin America might say "Las Americas" or "Centroamerica", but "America" in the singular is almost certainly the USA. Argentines, Chileans, Peruvians do not call their country America.

I bought something in Walmart last year, I like it because the sticker attached... Made in America, and the logo is a cross American flags.
A little bit expensive but better than buying twice the Chinese one.

JJ

SKing

Silver
Nov 22, 2007
I thought the America thing was strange also, most people I know say "I am American" or "I'm from the United States"....I rarely ever hear "I am from America"
But that's just picky and I digress.

She is going to listen to, "like", and maybe even PM the posters who say what she wants to hear.
She is going to ignore, "dislike", and maybe even curse under her tongue the ones that say anything other than "Come on down"

I know I did :)

Pero muchachaaaaaaa, tu eres joven. No tienes que hacer to' en una noche. Hay que educarte primero, investiga las cosas y despues toma tu decision. No se puede arreglar pobreza y depresion con el cambio de pais. Suelta ese idea en banda. Aqui la cosas cuestan, y pa' dos muchachos que no tiene educacion ni dinero...te va a costar mucho mas.

And if you couldn't read that.....ya tu sabes.

SHALENA

Sorry no accent marks....just lazy right now

bob saunders

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
dr1.com
seriously you guys are being bullies, its so funny to me that a lot of you are commenting on my age and saying things, but did you see anywhere in my post where i said i wanted to move NOW???? or soon??? no you didnt so stop assuming and comment on the question and stop telling me that im to young to move with a child when my plan isnt to hop up and leave, you seem childish to bully people and say rude things, GROW UP, i asked specific question and only a few even stayed on topic, seems like im the more mature one, i have to save money finish college, it isnt something i want to do to party and hang out im trying to make a happier better life, get over yourselves and try to relate and stop judging, i would never say some of the things to people that you are saying to me, and for your info i am 19, Its sad that im such a nice sweet person and im only trying to research things and plan ahead or at least explore my options and i have all of you people that are twice my age and more being so ignorant and rude. Im blessed to have lived in America and to have a healthy child and great husband no matter what age that is, i just want to explore different cultures and have a better life. who knows i may not move to DR until im 40 but atleast i will have some info now as to if i would even want to make that a possible goal. Anyways im very unhappy with how ive been treated and feel that you people should welcome people with open arms and give advice on the culture and your experience living there not judging me on how you disagree with my lifestyle or having a kid young.
Age doesn't really have much to do with maturity, however youthful enthusiasm does need to be tempered with mature sober thought. I assume your husband speaks Spanish. Does he have a trade or profession? I agree that with careful planning,( have a plan A and a plan B) living in the right place in the DR can be less stressful and more rewarding in many ways than living in North America. If I was 19 again and planning on such a move in the future I would get both a teaching degree specializing in English as a Second Language (ESL), take Spanish until I was fluent, and have a back-up , like computer science...etc.
It's good to have dreams and goals, as long as they are realistic and obtainable. What does your hubby want?

LTSteve

Gold
Jul 9, 2010

Yes, you will find on this forum that everyone thinks their opinions are a gift to you. Many are way off topic and don't care and certainly don't give a __it if they are rude to you. You need to visit the DR and see what it is like. Making a living in the DR is difficult. Without a trade or education it is almost impossible.

LTSteve

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
Brutal, we are. We have spent years understanding that reality can be brutal. I do applaud you if you are just investigating options at your young age. Keep in mind that every year you don't earn enough money to put away for when you are old makes it much harder to stop working when you might want to stop. Coming to the DR without enough money to retire would mean you would continue to work until you die.

mountainannie

Platinum
Dec 11, 2003
elizabetheames.blogspot.com
Hello, My name is Cyndal , I am 19 years old and my husband is 25 i live in America with my husband and 3 month old son. I am from America and my husband is from Dominican Republic he moved to the US when he was a teen. I am planning on moving to the DR for various reasons one of the main reasons being that i do not like America at all and i am tired of all the negative unhappy people and working so much just to get pretty things but never being happy. I want a life full of friendships new experiences and having fun. I have been researching this for quit some time but honestly have no clue what im doing. All i know is that i want to start my own business and want to move to Dominican Republic and start my family and a new happy life. currently me and my husband are living off low income just above minimum wadge, i just finished high school and i am decided what i should go to college for now since i want to move to DR or what i should do. I really need advice as to what to do and how much money i should save before coming and if its necessary to go to business school to start my own business there????? Also what are the first steps i should take, if you have any info about any of this i would greatly appreciate it. This is my number 1 dream and goal and i just need help with the info of getting started i really have family and my husband doesn't associate with the family in DR so i need help. Thank you for your time

ChiChi.. with all respect.. you did sorta sound like you were anxious to come down here soon. And "start your family" although you have already done that. And all we older bullies are telling you is that .. it is going to be much harder for you and your husband to make a living and educate your children here than in the US.

Since you do not have contact with his family, you are not going to have the support of the extended clan.. although maybe that will change when you come here with the baby. Have you been to visit? Do you know why the estrangement with his family here? If this is an old family feud, you may not be able to overcome it. But if you will have help from your extended family that can make a difference.

But you stated goal... "have a happy life"... well. That is what we are trying to twll you. You will come down here and be living off a minimum wage here.. What is going to change except the weather? And the fact that you will not be eligible for any sort of government aid?

So yes, do get a college education. And learn Spanish.

And save as much money as you can.. although that may seem impossible on a minimum wage job. I mean, even the airfare here is hard to imagine on minimum wage jobs.

So if I were in your place, I would make my first priority mending fences inside your husbands' family. Dominicans are wonderful with their families and you would always have some support if you had them.

Forgive us if we stomped on your dreams.. We just want you to understand the reality here.

Criss Colon

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
yahoomail.com
Looking for "Validation", didn't get any, gets "PI$$ED" Off!
End of story!
NEXT PLEASE.
CCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCC

kenthedentman

Apr 10, 2012
Yes. You need testicular fortitude to come here. And if u cant handle people telling some of the cold hard facts, and suggesting some of the things you may not know or have overlooked, then you have zero business coming here. This place can chew you up and swallow you. And if the young lady thinks we are tough, she doesnt know the half of it. So here is a different tact for you. Come on down. Its awesome here. Zero crime, everybody is happy and we all spend our time having a love fest and singing kumba by ya. Or whatever it is.

Want good advise? Join the coast guard. You will gain a lot of experience and education and then in 20 years you will be able to retire and recieve a check each month for the rest of your life. That way when you get here you will never be more than a month away from being able to retreat.