Status
Not open for further replies.

AlterEgo

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
South Coast
Danilo Medina’s Speech

If you missed the speech, here it is in English!
I hope they actually follow through with all of this!

For all of them, the Commission for Social Affairs is doing a committed job, to safely deliver the necessary food to the population, house by house.

At this time, the Social Plan of the Presidency is capable of serving 45,000 families each day with 3 servings each, enough for nine days of food. At that rate, they will cover 315,000 families every week throughout the country.

Additionally for students, 1.3 million food rations will be delivered each week, enough for one week of feeding per child.

And for the children from 0 to 5 years old, who received their food in the children's rooms, more than 22,000 basic food kits are also being distributed.

And at the same time, Comedores Econónicos is serving more than 100,000 servings of cooked food every day, in the different centers of the country and through mobile kitchens.

In short, we are going to visit all the neighborhoods and fields of the country in search of those who need food and we are going to make sure that they reach them.

But, of course, we know that a family has more needs in addition to food and that it must be attended to urgently. For this reason, the Commission for Economic Affairs for Emergencies has drawn up a special plan to respond to this crisis, to deliver direct aid to households.

For lower-income informal workers and families in vulnerable conditions, we have arranged the temporary “Stay at Home” aid program.

Specifically, as of April 1, the 811,000 families that today have the Solidarity card and receive an average of 1,500 pesos per month, we are going to carry out a two-month increase in the "Eat is First" component, so that they have 5,000 monthly pesos for the acquisition of food and basic necessities in the Social Supply Network.

However, in addition to these families, I am aware that many more require this support network to face the economic difficulties that lie ahead.

For this reason, we have identified another 690 thousand additional families categorized as poor or vulnerable by the Single System of Beneficiaries (SIUBEN), so that they also receive this temporary support from the “Stay at Home” program.

In short, the Solidarity card will thus reach 1.5 million households and will give 5,000 pesos a month to each one of them, from April 1 to May 31.

In addition, we are going to privilege the households whose heads are especially vulnerable to the coronavirus, to whom we will be assigning an amount of 2,000 additional monthly pesos, or 7,000 pesos, for more than 350,000 households. We especially urge these, for their health and that of their loved ones, to join the “Stay at Home” initiative.

Our objective is to bring security and certainty where it is most needed, without political or partisan flags, without favoritism or discretion.

From now on, we have started the process of joining 2,000 new businesses to the Social Supply Network, to avoid any shortage of products and respond effectively to the increase in demand that these measures will generate.

I ask these businesses to take responsibility for caring for these families, offering them fair prices and the best quality products.

Because we do not want the need to search for food to be stronger than the desire to preserve health and push fathers and mothers to the streets in search of sustenance, putting their lives and theirs' lives at risk.

Dominicans and Dominicans,

Throughout the world, and the Dominican Republic is no exception, these new rules of the game that coronavirus has established affect not only the most vulnerable.

Entire sectors of our economy, which until a couple of weeks ago were the engine of our growth, have been forced to stop short. And that's not just numbers; There are thousands of workers who have been forced to stay at home and entrepreneurs who do not know how they will face their obligations if they do not receive income.

This includes both formal and informal workers. All are being affected by the decrease in economic activity.

As you will remember, in my previous speech, I announced several measures to support the productive sectors, especially to protect jobs. But now, we have decided to go further and send direct help to each worker.

We have designed mechanisms to directly support formal and informal workers, as well as the most vulnerable families, in order to maintain a minimum level of household consumption, which are the backbone of the country's economy.

As for the formal workers, knowing that many companies have had to stop their operations or decrease them to minimum levels, thus affecting hundreds of thousands of workers, I want to tell you that this government is not going to leave them homeless.

To the economic sectors in which we have ordered the temporary cessation of operations, I announce today that the Government is committed to delivering up to 8,500 pesos of the salary of formal employees who have been suspended.

But I also know that there are many companies that, although we have not arranged the closure of their operations, are having difficulties and decreases in their economic activities, and that this may affect their employees.

For this reason, I have also arranged for the Economic Commission to work directly with these companies, in order to provide coverage of a percentage of the salary, which can reach $ 8,500 pesos a month, in order to keep workers on their payroll, Thus facilitating job stability and the income of hundreds of thousands of families.

In this modality, the Government will contribute a percentage of the salary and the companies will only have to cover the difference to complete at least 70% of the salary of each worker, always in exchange for the jobs being preserved.

These measures, like those of the “Stay at home” program, will be in force, for the time being, from April 1 to May 31.

We invite all companies to show solidarity with the workers, so that, working together, we can guarantee these measures.

Ultimately, the government is going to ensure that all employees can continue shopping in the coming weeks and waiting in their homes for this to end, with the peace of mind that their jobs will await them upon their return.

In total, adding the beneficiaries of the Employee Solidarity Assistance Fund (FASE) program and the “Stay at Home” program that increases the benefits of the Solidarity card, we are securing income for more than 5.2 million Dominicans, almost half of the Dominican population.

And since I know some are wondering where that money will come from, here is the answer:

Regarding the cost of the announced measures to support employment in the formal and informal sectors and other measures to support the health sector, we have identified sources to finance them for an approximate amount of up to 32,062.5 million pesos.

Of these, 12,000 million pesos will be obtained from the resources of excess technical reserves held by the Dominican Institute for the Prevention and Protection of Occupational Risks (IDOPPRIL).

In addition, we will have access to around 12,000 million pesos through a loan from the Central Bank to the Government, in response to the national emergency situation declared by the National Congress.

Finally, we have arranged the disbursement of 150 million dollars of financing already contracted for emergencies with the World Bank.

Today, the Economic Commission agreed with the Association of Commercial Banks to relax its cost policy for consumer financing services via credit cards.

And in this sense, we also inform you that during the next 3 months, starting today, the following measures have been taken:

1.- Banks will eliminate the minimum monthly payment on the balance of the card debt.

2.- Likewise, the late fee will be eliminated.

3.- The Reserve Bank decided to lower the consumer interest rate with credit cards to 1% per month.

We urge other banks to take similar steps.

The Economic Commission for the state of emergency will give more technical details of these and other measures tomorrow.

Dominicans and Dominicans,

As I said, today I come to speak to you with my heart and, of course, with the truth.

And the truth is that the whole world is facing the unimaginable and that, when this situation started, nobody was prepared for it.

China was not. Europe was not. The United States was not either. But the truth is, also, that this has taught humanity that we must learn together, from successes and mistakes.

Today, more than ever, global leadership is necessary to meet the circumstances, capable of making joint decisions, capable of looking further, thinking of the entire human race and in the long term.

Our advantage as a country, if it can be called that, is that we have been able to learn from what other countries have already experienced in recent months and we had the possibility of taking early measures.

In addition, we have more and more information on how to respond, while science continues to advance, with better treatments, with research on the vaccine and, above all, with more solidarity than ever.

That solidarity is what is making it possible for the world to begin to see a light of optimism at the end of this tunnel.

The countries that were first affected by the pandemic, China, South Korea, Singapore and Japan have shown that with sustained measures of social distancing, the advance of the virus can be stopped first and then reversed. And that must be our north.

Of course, we cannot trust ourselves, and in no way can we let our guard down; But let's move forward step by step, following all the recommendations, taking preventive measures and, above all, staying at home.

Please stay home, so that we can overcome this situation in the best possible way.

From the Government we are dedicated all the time to respond to them, to offer them all the necessary support. Without rest, without sparing efforts, giving the best of each human being, to protect them, to preserve their well-being.

We know that mistakes may have been made in the process and may happen again. But you can be sure of one thing: in each decision we are guided only by the best will to preserve the life of our great Dominican family above all else.

We are at a moment of vital importance. For this reason, now more than ever, the help of all Dominicans is crucial.

Listen well, pay attention, please:

The disease is now in a phase where it could multiply rapidly. In order for this not to happen, the most important thing is to avoid contact. So I say to you once again: Don't take it lightly. Do not leave the house, Do not leave the house unprotected, keep a distance of 2 arms between people, wash your hands every time you leave the house and when you touch doors or other surfaces of public places do not put your hands to your mouth, nose or eyes. Believe me, these seemingly simple gestures can save your life and that of many others.

Let's stop the virus from advancing now! Let's do it together! Let's be responsible!

Of course, I know that for many what seems like a simple phrase: “stay home” is actually a great challenge. Some do not have a place to call home and in other cases their homes do not meet the best conditions: because there is no room for everyone, because sometimes they fight and argue, because the food is not enough.

Believe me, not an hour of the day goes by without you thinking about all those difficulties and how to help ease them.

That is why today I wanted to personally announce this package of initiatives, which precisely try to respond to each situation.

And, of course, also know that according to the evolution of the situation and the possibilities of our State, we will be evaluating taking additional measures, which may be more radical.

Finally, I ask you one more time, please, to bring out the best in yourselves, to look with the eyes of your heart, to try not to lose patience with your loved ones, not to vent your frustration against children or women. . Think first about staying healthy, about safeguarding the lives of our grandparents and parents, about protecting our children.

It is a time of recollection, of prayer, of peace, of union. It is time to reflect on what is really important.

Stay home, please. And allow the work that must be done to continue solving this situation to be really worthwhile.

Have faith, be patient and do not hesitate, because the sacrifice and goodness of our people will be seen by God, in his infinite mercy and He will be our guide.

Good evening, God bless you
and thank you.

drstock

Silver
Oct 29, 2010
Cabarete
Thank you for the translation. It clarifies what I already understood from listening to the speech in Spanish. What isn't clear to me is what happens in my small business of apartments, where I have a few employees. I suppose the security guard can continue to work, but what about the handyman and cleaner, who I consider essential for the business and for my clients?

Cdn_Gringo

Gold
Apr 29, 2014
Has the Govt not been clear on what is considered an essential service? Are the hotels not closing down and sending their staff home? Is there some aspect to your business that would necessitate some sort of exception? Is there a reason why you haven't advised your guests/tenants that the level of service usually provided cannot be maintained in this time of public health emergency?

Security is definitely a permitted service. Housekeeping is not and perhaps any maintenance other than repairs to essential services such as plumbing, toilets and electrical might also be considered nonessential. If you keep people on the job and coming into contact with others despite the "stay at home order" you are responsible for the outcome of those decisions by my way of thinking.

Tough call, but I'd curtail any employee activities except those that affect the health and safety of the residents until the shelter in place restrictions are lifted. Protect your residents, protect your employees and protect yourself.

drstock

Silver
Oct 29, 2010
Cabarete
Has the Govt not been clear on what is considered an essential service? Are the hotels not closing down and sending their staff home? Is there some aspect to your business that would necessitate some sort of exception? Is there a reason why you haven't advised your guests/tenants that the level of service usually provided cannot be maintained in this time of public health emergency?

Security is definitely a permitted service. Housekeeping is not and perhaps any maintenance other than repairs to essential services such as plumbing, toilets and electrical might also be considered nonessential. If you keep people on the job and coming into contact with others despite the "stay at home order" you are responsible for the outcome of those decisions by my way of thinking.

Tough call, but I'd curtail any employee activities except those that affect the health and safety of the residents until the shelter in place restrictions are lifted. Protect your residents, protect your employees and protect yourself.

Condescending as usual until the last paragraph.

Last edited:

Africaida

Gold
Jun 19, 2009
I know nada about DR politics, all I heard was how Ladrones were the politicos....

In that context, I think the DR seems to be doing a good job facing this pandemic. Certainly, much better than expected had I listen to many of my Dominican friends.

I even like Danilo's speeches, he is not a natural born orator, but I think his speeches are straight to the point (oh, I understand everything, crystal clear español !!).

cobraboy

Pro-Bono Demolition Hobbyist
Jul 24, 2004
I know nada about DR politics, all I heard was how Ladrones were the politicos....

In that context, I think the DR seems to be doing a good job facing this pandemic. Certainly, much better than expected had I listen to many of my Dominican friends.

I even like Danilo's speeches, he is not a natural born orator, but I think his speeches are straight to the point (oh, I understand everything, crystal clear español !!).
I am actually pleasantly surprised at how well Dominicans are complying with the stay-at-home mandates.

Now if they'd only comply with stop lights...;)

NALs

Economist by Profession
Jan 20, 2003
I am actually pleasantly surprised at how well Dominicans are complying with the stay-at-home mandates.

Now if they'd only comply with stop lights...;)
You're asking for too much. lol

ljmesg

Aug 6, 2017
Bla bla bla bla great speech.

No 24/7 lockdown. The only thing that matters. So asymptomatic Dominicans out spreading the virus on the daily from 6am to 5pm 11 hours every day.

This is going to get so ugly here for this country. 10's of thousands of asymptomatic sleeper cells waking up as I type this.

Financial help to workers and families is fantastic but will not be any help to dead people.

alexw

Gold
Sep 6, 2008
NYC-SDQ BABY!
Bla bla bla bla great speech.

No 24/7 lockdown. The only thing that matters. So asymptomatic Dominicans out spreading the virus on the daily from 6am to 5pm 11 hours every day.

This is going to get so ugly here for this country. 10's of thousands of asymptomatic sleeper cells waking up as I type this.

Financial help to workers and families is fantastic but will not be any help to dead people.

While I disagree with most of your posts you're dead on here. Their infections are increasing by almost 100% each day. This is going to get bad. A 24 hour curfew was the only answer but it's too late. Weeks ago he should've stopped those NYC flights too but they couldnt say no to daddy. God bless the DR

Status
Not open for further replies.