Danny Almonte

Jan 5, 2006
Chris, you're right. Marrying a US citizen would do nothing to speed up his path to naturalization.

On another note, if he had advisors who actually had his best interest in mind, and given the fact that he's probably not academic college material, but is just looking for a path to professional baseball, he would be better served by going to the DR and being excluded from the US amateur draft. That gives him the advantage of being able to control what organization he goes to, instead of being forced to go with whatever organization picks him.

deelt

Bronze
Mar 23, 2004
Good question. Speculating on a few things:
1) ignorance is bliss
2) he was not quite legal when he arrived, so his 5 years may (possibly) not be up...recall this is a timing issue (he needs to be in school in the fall)
3) I could be right on 1 and 2
4) I could be wrong on all counts

Chris_NJ said:
I thought that once you have permanent residence it takes 5 years before you can apply for citizenship. If he already had legal permanent residence then what would getting married do to expedite citizenship?

Ricardo900

Silver
Jul 12, 2004
deelt said:
Good question. Speculating on a few things:
1) ignorance is bliss
2) he was not quite legal when he arrived, so his 5 years may (possibly) not be up...recall this is a timing issue (he needs to be in school in the fall)
3) I could be right on 1 and 2
4) I could be wrong on all counts
Sports Illustrated reported that Danny and his father came to the US in June 2000 on a tourist visa that later expired 6 months later. Somebody must have sponsored him while he was in the US.

rellosk

Silver
Mar 18, 2002
Hipocrito Mejia said:
..., he would be better served by going to the DR and being excluded from the US amateur draft. That gives him the advantage of being able to control what organization he goes to, instead of being forced to go with whatever organization picks him.
Except he might void his US residency status by living in the DR.

Unfortuntately, Danny's history lives on

I live in upstate NY, very near Cooperstown and the National Baseball Hall of Fame. There are youth baseball camps/tournaments in our area that draw thousands of teams each summer. Last summer, my wife and I made arrangments for 4 teams from a league in Santo Domingo to play at one of these camps. We attended every game that was played, and each time a dominican team won a game, a player made a great play, pitched a great game, etc. we constantly heard remarks like "You'd better check his birth certificate", "Is this Danny Almonte's younger brother?" etc etc.
Such a shame that the dominican boys had to go through that, and that they didn't receive the credit they deserved as quality ballplayers. Fortunately, many of them didn't speak english so couldn't understand the insults, but for those of us who could understand what was being said, it was upsetting and wrong.

Cleef

Bronze
Feb 24, 2002
No free rides

Ricardo900 said:
I know, they said that the major leagues are looking at him, he could have a great future and if the majors don't pick him up, he'll get a free ride in college. Not bad at all
The last thing this kid needs are more free rides. He'd better hope he gets an MLB invite - which it sure appears he will - because all indications are that he tends to make some poor choices.

Such tendencies shorten college careers.

miguel

I didn't last long...
Jul 2, 2003
True, but!

Steve Pindar said:
I live in upstate NY, very near Cooperstown and the National Baseball Hall of Fame. There are youth baseball camps/tournaments in our area that draw thousands of teams each summer. Last summer, my wife and I made arrangments for 4 teams from a league in Santo Domingo to play at one of these camps. We attended every game that was played, and each time a dominican team won a game, a player made a great play, pitched a great game, etc. we constantly heard remarks like "You'd better check his birth certificate", "Is this Danny Almonte's younger brother?" etc etc.
Such a shame that the dominican boys had to go through that, and that they didn't receive the credit they deserved as quality ballplayers. Fortunately, many of them didn't speak english so couldn't understand the insults, but for those of us who could understand what was being said, it was upsetting and wrong.
It's very unfortunate but it's nothing new.

MOST Dominicans ball players are known to "take a few years off".

I can go as far as when Cesar Cedeno was playing. SOME claimed that he was older but he proved them wrong.

Guatiao

El Leon de los Cacicazgos
Mar 27, 2004
Come on you guys, quit acting like he's all innocent. This "kid" knows what he did and that it was wrong, I'm not just talking about the baseball incident but also lying to the media about his mother being sick and trying to petition a visa for her. This "kid" makes me sick, I bet this is an arrange marriage for citizenship. I dislike the corruption in Dominicans, especially his segment of the Dominican population.

aegap

Silver
Mar 19, 2005
miguel said:
It's very unfortunate but it's nothing new.

MOST Dominicans ball players are known to "take a few years off".

I can go as far as when Cesar Cedeno was playing. SOME claimed that he was older but he proved them wrong.

Dominicans ball playes have what we call 'baseball years', kinda like dog years

aegap

Silver
Mar 19, 2005
You people just can't see a love story even if were to hit you in the eyes!

Its a love story, ..;-),

Jan 5, 2006
I think that it would be safe to assume that multiple teams would line up to take a chance on a 19 year old lefty who throws the ball at around 90mph.

deelt

Bronze
Mar 23, 2004
Yes, you are right. If given the chance to hit it with an experience woman what 19 y.o. is going to turn it down...

Anybody see the movie Prime, lately? The boy was whipped.

The woman took pity on the kid but marriage could have been inevitable had she opted for that.

aegap said:

Its a love story, ..;-),

Guatiao

El Leon de los Cacicazgos
Mar 27, 2004
aegap said:

Its a love story, ..;-),

It's a "love" story all right.......... love of fame and love of money.

It's still too bad

I don't disagree for a second that historically dominican players have been known to fudge their ages, etc. I do think it's too bad though that decent dominicans who teach thousands of kids to play in their leagues, and operate honestly have to continue to live down the reputation of others that preceded them.
The man who operates the league from Santo Domingo, who I am referring to, is one of the finest people I have ever known, and he didn't deserve the treatment he or his players received. Jealousy and envy does strange things to people, and for the most part what it does to people isn't pretty!

mikey007

Bronze
Aug 19, 2005
danny almonte

hippocrito he may be heavily recruited but talking to a few scouts . they say he is not credible and has no moral integrity . supposedly he is still in high school and he is married to a 33 year old no discipline = time bomb in the future would he throw games away ???????????????????????????????????:bunny: :bunny: