Daughter/Son in-law family - Ladies only forum

keepcoming

Moderator - Living & General Stuff
May 25, 2011
There is a new program, 90 days before the visa (something like that). It follows the couples before they began the K1 process. There is a guy in his 50's who is in Haiti getting to know his internet found love. But there is a love triangle. (she is only like 20yrs old or so). She is also "friends" with another guy (American) in his late 60's I think who spends 6 months a year in the Dominican Republic. She travels to the Dominican Republic to spend time with him but she says she is only friends with him. Interesting show. Who would have known how far some people go to find love, long distance love.

Forgot to add...not surprised about Pedro's mom being a lawyer. I am sure she presents herself much different in "real life".... Wonder if the show has boost her career...

dulce

Silver
Jan 1, 2002
I finally watched the finale of 90 Day Fiance last night. Was anyone else surprised to see that Pedro's mother was a lawyer?? Do lawyers make decent money in the DR?

I was surprised! I was surprised that she actually works. :laugh:

Aguaita29

Silver
Jul 27, 2011
There is a new program, 90 days before the visa (something like that). It follows the couples before they began the K1 process. There is a guy in his 50's who is in Haiti getting to know his internet found love. But there is a love triangle. (she is only like 20yrs old or so). She is also "friends" with another guy (American) in his late 60's I think who spends 6 months a year in the Dominican Republic. She travels to the Dominican Republic to spend time with him but she says she is only friends with him. Interesting show. Who would have known how far some people go to find love, long distance love.

[video=youtube;jtO2fBDOQ2M]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jtO2fBDOQ2M[/video]

Matilda

RIP Lindsay
Sep 13, 2006
And its back the new series - well for those in the US anyway! And yet again another Dominican

Molly, 41 (Woodstock, Georgia) and Luis, 26 (Santo Domingo, Dominican Republic)

Molly and Luis met at a local bar where Luis bartends while she was on a girls' trip to the Dominican Republic. After less than two months, Luis proposed to Molly. Luis will not only have to endear himself to Molly's two daughters--17-year old Olivia and 6-year old Kensley--he'll need to convince Molly's stoic conservative father that he wants more than just a green card.

Love is in the air! The original 90 Day Fiance returns October 8th at 9/8c with a new group of romantic hopefuls. Five couples will take a chance on love and bring their potential spouses-to-be to the United States. Using a special K-1 "fiance" visa, they are required to get married at the end of only 90 days or, by law, be forced to return to their home countries. Here's who you will meet this season:

More info here http://www.tlc.com/tlcme/get-to-know-the-new-couples-on-90-day-fiance/?sf116107270=1

Matilda

Jelly

Nov 7, 2013
Ooooh I love it when there's a Dominican lol Looking forward to it...although methinks perhaps Miss Molly should have checked out DR1 ;)

keepcoming

May 25, 2011
I saw the previews for it, her trying on wedding dresses. I think there are a few who should have checked out DR1. Stupidity has no boundaries..lol But the Miss Molly story line should be interesting.

Aguaita29

Silver
Jul 27, 2011
I remember Molly from another TLC show called "Double D Divas". She and a friend of hers co-owned a bra store.

keepcoming

May 25, 2011
Saw the program last night ( not sure how I will watch it once I get back to Santo Domingo next week..lol). Anyway the Abby situation is laughable. 2 grown/older men at odds over a 20yr (more or less) Haitian girl. The whole show was rather comical. Where do they find these people at?? More than that, how can USCIS take their K1 visa application seriously.

keepcoming

May 25, 2011
Anyone watching the show? The relationship between the Dominican bartender Luis and Molly? Is it just me or is Luis a bit "creepy". His conversations with Molly's teenage daughter (closer to his age) seem a bit strange. Asking her about her sexual relationship with her boyfriend. Telling Molly's younger daughter (5-6 yrs old) that he was going to be her "padre" now. He just seems creepy to me. Well h*ll they are all a bit off..lol

Jelly

Nov 7, 2013
Oh yay, people ARE watching too! haha Yes!! How inappropriate?! I have spent a lot of time around Dominicans over the last decade or more and never have I heard anyone talk so openly about sex - maybe a big brother teasing a younger brother or the boys just one upping or something. But NEVER like that. Not to mention, he was told how inappropriate it was and how Molly didn't like it at dinner....then continued during pool?? That's creepy and disrespectful! I wish I could put money on this one, mostly because Molly seems to be completely, gleefully, head over heels in love with him...but something smells awfully fishy here!

Jelly

Nov 7, 2013
I just watched Sunday night's episode, including previews for next week, and it finally struck me that my husband was right - and I hate when that happens hahah! Luis is inappropriate with Molly's elder daughter; he is snarky with her younger daughter; he is disrespectful towards her; and he has awkward conversations with Molly's brother. I think his real self is finally making it to the screen.

Why was my husband right? Well...he HATES this show. He hated last season when they showed Pedro & his family. And refuses to watch this season. His argument is that this American show is making his country look like a bunch of morons. I didn't agree. I thought it was interesting to see how this K1 Fiance Visa works and to see the struggles and the successes. But last night a light bulb went off.

Here we are living in a world where it's widely known that the US is less and less welcoming to foreigners, watching a show that highlights a tv-worthy foreigner for our own amusement. While my actions will never cause people to think all white, middle class Canadians of Scottish descent are one way, unfortunately, the actions of the minority are somehow expected to be representative of their entire lineage!! And foreigners on this show are portrayed as somehow 'less than' - as viewers we're supposed to accept that premise.

So portraying a Dominican in this way (selecting exactly the person they want for whatever storyline), this show has the potential to shape the way viewers regard the entire Dominican population. Suddenly people may be wondering about their Dominican neighbours -- do they all treat their wives, children, families that way? I hate that it happens, but it does. And this show perpetuates such negative stereotypes. In my opinion, it's not harmless fun as I once thought.

Matilda

RIP Lindsay
Sep 13, 2006
Good point Jelly. I tried to like your post but for some reason I can't. It is a problem that it does shape the way people view Dominicans. Many people assume that all Dominicans are sankies and womanisers due to what they see on the TV and what they read in the press, which does make it often an uphill battle for those married to Dominicans and can cause conflict within the circle of family and friends.

Matilda

keepcoming

May 25, 2011
I very much agree. Also it leaves one with a rather bad image of the K1 process IMO. I find myself asking at times while watching "our government (USA) really let them in the country".

keepcoming

May 25, 2011
Last night Luis's brother came and picked him up after he and Molly decided not to through with the wedding. Surprise...at the very end of the show she admitted they had already married at the end of July. Luis accused Molly of not believing in God because she had statues of Buddha and other decorative statues which he said shows she does not love God. It made me laugh so hard (rushed from the airport to my parents house to catch the show...sad I know..lol) because it was a typical (not all do this but many do) Dominican moment where the reality is twisted to favor the Dominican point of view. At the end of the program the producer asked Molly "so Luis will have to leave since his K1 visa is expiring and the wedding is off" That is when Molly said not exactly, that they had already legally married and started the residency process. Conveniently his brother was able to come and pick him up.

Julia31

Jan 4, 2012
I guess this show is making a lot of countries (like Russia) and even some of the spouses look bad (remembering the really really old guy with the 19 years old asian girl..yuck). As I said before here its entertainment and in my opinion at least 50 % of the show is staged so that people keep watching it. I am looking forward to watch the new episodes but guess it will be another few months till it is aired at TNT Germany.