Definitiva Residency Finally

Abuela

Bronze
May 13, 2006
We finally received our 10 year residency & cedulas! We were delighted to find Migracion fully staffed with young, friendly and efficient personnel.In and out in 25 minutes! Cedulas took 95 mins due to power outage and the usual JCE hiccups. The system actually worked after 14 yrs of delays, errors and tedium.

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
Congratulations. Your description of Migracion sounds like they changed some personnel.

MikeFisher

The Fisherman/Weather Mod
Feb 28, 2006
Punta Cana/DR
www.mikefisher.fun
i was just now surprised about how cheap it is now to renew the residencia definitiva for an other 10 years.
10 years ago in January 2011, I paid 21.000.- Pesos(including 1.000.-VIP to get it issued the same day without coming back from Punta Cana to St Dgo again), which was at that time $569.-US.
now it costs 20.000.- Pesos, no need for an additional VIP, which sums to only $346.- US total, that's quiet a pleasant surprise.
i was prepared to pay again the value of around $500.-US.

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
Currency Mike..... we're all living the life now on foreign money...

We'll see for how long

Nice work both of you on the Definitiva..... my wife will be next....

MikeFisher

Feb 28, 2006
Punta Cana/DR
www.mikefisher.fun
Currency Mike..... we're all living the life now on foreign money...

We'll see for how long

Nice work both of you on the Definitiva..... my wife will be next....
as i earn my living on tourism, I make all my money in foreign currency, 90% in US Dollars.
so to me thsi renovation for the next 10 years costs me way lessthan the one for the last 10 years.
like when looking on living costs, pricing for groceries etc.
a liter of milk costs the same since many many years, the same goes for very most products needed every day.

Reactions: XTraveller

XTraveller

Aug 21, 2010
as i earn my living on tourism, I make all my money in foreign currency, 90% in US Dollars.
so to me thsi renovation for the next 10 years costs me way lessthan the one for the last 10 years.
like when looking on living costs, pricing for groceries etc.
a liter of milk costs the same since many many years, the same goes for very most products needed every day.
Mike what about the "green ones" seems to be always going up!

MikeFisher

Feb 28, 2006
Punta Cana/DR
www.mikefisher.fun
Mike what about the "green ones" seems to be always going up!
Nop, i disagree.
a small presidente always been around 1 buck topping 1.20.-$ as the max.
actually you get at the supermarkets small presis for around 65.- Pesos, thats 1.12.-US
at my preferd super I get even Cold Presis, in 350cc Cans, for 55.- pesos per Can, Cold, less than 1.-US$
that stuff costed i US$ teh same already 25 years ago.
for the pensioners and others who make their living in foreign currencies, like in Toursim,
those dayto day items are at the same cost tahn since a long time/since ever.
bad it is, and it really is VERY BAD, for the employees who get their salaries paid in DR Pesos.
since many many years no significant raise on the paycheck, their purchase power for their same salary for the same job done is purchasing todays only slightly more than 50% of what they could have purchased with the same salary 10-15 years ago.

Reactions: Carl.L and Caonabo

XTraveller

Aug 21, 2010
Nop, i disagree.
a small presidente always been around 1 buck topping 1.20.-$ as the max.
actually you get at the supermarkets small presis for around 65.- Pesos, thats 1.12.-US
at my preferd super I get even Cold Presis, in 350cc Cans, for 55.- pesos per Can, Cold, less than 1.-US$
that stuff costed i US$ teh same already 25 years ago.
for the pensioners and others who make their living in foreign currencies, like in Toursim,
those dayto day items are at the same cost tahn since a long time/since ever.
bad it is, and it really is VERY BAD, for the employees who get their salaries paid in DR Pesos.
since many many years no significant raise on the paycheck, their purchase power for their same salary for the same job done is purchasing todays only slightly more than 50% of what they could have purchased with the same salary 10-15 years ago.
Mike I am sure you are right in the long term of things. More recently in the last 2-3 months or so the presidente Mediana at the Colmados went from 120 pesos to 135 pesos and some places 140 pesos where as the USD remain at the 57-58 range. At 58 pesos to the USD it means that the presidente Mediana went from 2.05 USD to 2.32 USD that a big increase in just a few months.
I think presidente is a monopoly and are gouging the Dominicans and wait I think that they will raise the price again soon in the new year.Even if the USD goes to 60 pesos in the new year that would make the Mediana 2.25 USD up from 2.05 a few months ago.

To bing this thread back to topic 10 years ago the price of your residence was the same as today in pesos but with the rise of the USD to the pesos now makes your residence cheaper and I agree with you. But I think lately in the short term the inflation on goods here has been rising faster than the rise of the USD to the pesos. I must admit with everything going on in the US lately the USD has been losing ground in the international market and the central bank in the DR has been trying to keep the USD stable.

MikeFisher

Feb 28, 2006
Punta Cana/DR
www.mikefisher.fun
Mike I am sure you are right in the long term of things. More recently in the last 2-3 months or so the presidente Mediana at the Colmados went from 120 pesos to 135 pesos and some places 140 pesos where as the USD remain at the 57-58 range. At 58 pesos to the USD it means that the presidente Mediana went from 2.05 USD to 2.32 USD that a big increase in just a few months.
I think presidente is a monopoly and are gouging the Dominicans and wait I think that they will raise the price again soon in the new year.Even if the USD goes to 60 pesos in the new year that would make the Mediana 2.25 USD up from 2.05 a few months ago.

To bing this thread back to topic 10 years ago the price of your residence was the same as today in pesos but with the rise of the USD to the pesos now makes your residence cheaper and I agree with you. But I think lately in the short term the inflation on goods here has been rising faster than the rise of the USD to the pesos. I must admit with everything going on in the US lately the USD has been losing ground in the international market and the central bank in the DR has been trying to keep the USD stable.
yes, agreed on that.
also, not just the DR Peso lost ground/value but also teh US Dollar is super weak.
just look on the steep rise of the Eurom over the Dollar convertion rates.
thats where such rise on prices for products comes from counted in US Dollars and DR Pesos.
it wil swing back a piece from there and find some middle way.

tomorrow i should get my paper of good conduct, then i check to wheer the residency can be delivered.
would be good to finally not travel to darn St Dgo for such.

XTraveller

Aug 21, 2010
yes, agreed on that.
also, not just the DR Peso lost ground/value but also teh US Dollar is super weak.
just look on the steep rise of the Eurom over the Dollar convertion rates.
thats where such rise on prices for products comes from counted in US Dollars and DR Pesos.
it wil swing back a piece from there and find some middle way.

tomorrow i should get my paper of good conduct, then i check to wheer the residency can be delivered.
would be good to finally not travel to darn St Dgo for such.
Good luck Mike. I think you still will have to spend a "pleasant" day in Santo Domingo to take your picture and the cedula.
Let us know if this has change.

Reactions: MikeFisher

MikeFisher

Feb 28, 2006
Punta Cana/DR
www.mikefisher.fun
Good luck Mike. I think you still will have to spend a "pleasant" day in Santo Domingo to take your picture and the cedula.
Let us know if this has change.
thanks.
I am prepared for that, but hey, its once every 10 years, so even for a city hater like me, nothing bad, haha.
they want the 2 photos already sent online, so there is a chnace that the card gets printed and delivered, but i will know in a couple days when i have everything uploaded.
teh cedula is no problem, that I know that i can get it here in Bavaro without a ride to Santo Domingo.
I will let you guys know here how it went.

SKY

Gold
Apr 11, 2004
Why not just get citizenship. Or did they make it too complicated now?

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
No, that's no more complicated...... some might even say it's easier

Best thing is no renewals - EVER
New cedula done locally for renewing

SKY

Gold
Apr 11, 2004
Also DR Passport now good for 10 years. And renew at any passport office in the DR. There are many advantages to citizenship. With Residency they can change the rules anytime. Renewals, length of time, fees, etc. With Citizenship you have the same rights as any Dominican except you cannot run for President.

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
I am not bothering w/ an actual passport..... the cedula says it all.....

Yes - The residency procedure is much different now than in 2008 when I applied - very different
Definitiva is an option certainly, but at a certain age..... better to go permanent/citizenship.....IMO
Who wants to run around renewing at 80 or so !??
Not me !!