Delancer Cable/Atlantico - Fiber Optic Service

beeza

Silver
Nov 2, 2006
Just makes you realise what a screwed up world we live in, when you can't watch digital content that you've paid for because you're in a different country.

So much for globalisation.  And Amazon are one of the worst at controlling their digital media.

SKY

Gold
Apr 11, 2004
Get a good VPN and laugh at these scumbags............................

Cdn_Gringo

Gold
Apr 29, 2014
Assuming Delancer can deliver a US IP as they claim, it's not just a question of activating it with a few clicks of the keyboard like before. The difference this time around unlike the old system, this is not going to be a shared IP for use by all Delancer users, it is a routeable IP address specific to each individual account. I suspect there is some coordination required with Comcast and that could possibly be part of the delay. That's why there is a charge for this service now - according to the the highly trained customer service professionals that live in the Delancer backroom.

I was kind of hoping that someone on Delancer fiber would have said that they requested and received a US address before page three of this thread. I remain hopeful. Otherwise, as Sky suggests, I'll have to address the issue myself.

I'm not aware of any other DR provider offering a US IP.

Last edited:

anng3

Bronze
Jan 12, 2007
This is the same company I recommended in another thread. Excellent..........

They are good. For Macs can be a little buggy but still use it.  Once on my iphone couldn't get it to update or do something I wanted, lost all my itunes music only to find when I took it to an Apple store all it was, was PIA.  But in life very little is perfect. And especially in Europe certain online stores will not let you go to their US sites without a VPN.

beeza

Silver
Nov 2, 2006
Interestingly enough, with my current Dominican IP (now waiting four days for my US one) I have noticed that Netflix content is actually more interesting than with an American one.

There are American TV series on Netflix which are usually on paid American networks, such as the new Star Trek Discovery series.  In the States, you would have to subscribe to CBS.  Also shows like Vikings, Black Sails and a few British shows are on my Netflix selection that didn't appear when I had an American IP.

Caonabo

LIFE IS GOOD
Sep 27, 2017
Just makes you realise what a screwed up world we live in, when you can't watch digital content that you've paid for because you're in a different country.

So much for globalisation.  And Amazon are one of the worst at controlling their digital media.

Although I too stand in agreement with the sentiments regarding the blocking of international digital content, it incenses me more, to no end, that in this year 2017, it is highly burdensome to find a service which contains a viewable program guide and the ability to record such programs. This has been standard operating equipment within the industry for years now. Simply preposterous.

Cdn_Gringo

Gold
Apr 29, 2014
Swing....and a miss.

It may now be more prudent to replace my hopeful outlook for an easy and speedy resolution to the US IP snafu with a pessimistic one.

Delancer assures me that the changes have been entered into their computer and it is supposed to work. They will be sending a technician out to have a look they say despite my indicating that unless the router is faulty, there won't be anything a tech guy can do to solve this. It's Friday and they just wanted me gone. I' will be surprised if anyone shows up.

Caonabo

LIFE IS GOOD
Sep 27, 2017
This is quite the stalemate. I figured it would be resolved at high noon.

Cdn_Gringo

Gold
Apr 29, 2014
Stalemate over, at least for me.

I was sure that convincing myself I was screwed would help. Kind of like waiting for a bus that never comes until 10 seconds after you light a cigarette.

Shortly before 4pm two hombres showed up at mi casa. One, clearly a technician the other guy, older, wearing smart attire with a phone stuck in his ear seemed to be some guy training or supervising the other guy.

They reprogrammed my Delancer equipment and the long/short of it is that I now have my very own unique US IP address in the sanctuary state of California. My Amazon junk is happily talking to big brother again. Throughput is good, well as good as I choose to pay for anyway.

1) Delancer can give you a US IP
2) The office staff are dolts and know how to answer the phone sometimes, that's about all they know.
3) If your US IP cannot be activated from the office, then a service call is needed.
4) You have better luck standing in front of them when you need something as opposed to calling them.
5) The squeaky wheel gets the grease first or at least before those who don't squeak as loudly or as often.

Sorry Beeza, your day will come, mañana tal vez

Cdn_Gringo

Gold
Apr 29, 2014
Watching Fire TV now as the cable signal disappeared around 6pm. If it's not one thing it's another...

Rbh44

Mar 28, 2007
Thank you all ...I currently pay less than USD$50 for 100Mbit/s in NY .Certainly a change...

yea ,I went to Claro and they limit the speed to 2MB for customers who don't have residency.
Not sure why...I own my house and I already pay bills to EDENORTE for example.

This is incorrect. I signed up for 10mb internet, phone and tv with claro two months ago for 2000 pesos a month. I do not have residency and only my passport was required.

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
This is incorrect. I signed up for 10mb internet, phone and tv with claro two months ago for 2000 pesos a month. I do not have residency and only my passport was required.

With the advent of their fiber optic service, the slower speed restrictions may have disappeared.

OR

Like most things in the DR, when you try to do the same thing on two different days you get two different results.

Rbh44

Mar 28, 2007
With the advent of their fiber optic service, the slower speed restrictions may have disappeared.

OR

Like most things in the DR, when you try to do the same thing on two different days you get two different results.

I believe the OP misunderstood what they were being told. I was told the 2mb limit was for new customers unwilling to wait for some sort of credit check. My options were to wait a few weeks for installation while they did their check; take the 2mb service and establish payment history then upgrade after a few months or I could pay 1000 pesos to avoid all that and receive 10mb and installation right away. I took the last option.

Since I have had a claro phone plan for 7 years you would think I had already established a payment history with claro but I was told that didn't matter because this was a different service. Go figure. LOL