Delta - ATL-POP Experience

toneloc24

Bronze
Mar 8, 2004
Just getting back. Did a weekend trip, as a non-rev passenger. So ticket prices wasn't a concern for me. Flights are full going down to POP, but empty coming back up to ATL so far. This is expected to change next week. Should be interesting.

The good:
- Short flight - approx. 3 hrs
- In Sosua within a 10-15 minute drive.
- Cleared POP airport within 20 minutes, including waiting for rental car
- In-flight Service
- No major hassles (on the Delta side of things)
- Upon return to USA, airport was very quiet. Therefore, we cleared check-in and everything within minutes.
- Met a cool guy from Santiago who came down to POP to train and support the POP staff for Delta; very helpful and explained a lot about Delta's operations in the DR

The bad (or could be better thought-out/addressed):
- No Spanish speaker on-board flight repeating instructions/information
- Taxes for travelling to the DR (approx. $100 USD alone)
- Paying 3 pesos for entering the parking lot to return the rental car (money's NOT the issue; just makes no sense; there should be a provision for rental cars, like every other airport where the rental cars are separate from the parking lot)
- Entering the DR, the aduana desk guy with a "Propinas (Tips) Please" sign at the desk (Seriously!!!)
- $10 tourist card that you buy upon leaving the plane, then promptly give up before leaving the airport. Huh? After already paying approx. $100 in taxes just to come there.

Those were not gripes, as I'd return to the DR. Just things that could rub people the wrong way at the airport.

I'd recommend Delta ATL-POP, based on my experience, if you're headed to the north coast and price isn't an issue.

AZB

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
When will the damn sti-atl route start?
I rather spend a night in NY to get to atlanta from sti than to go all the way to POP.
AZB

bigbird

Gold
May 1, 2005
- $10 tourist card that you buy upon leaving the plane, then promptly give up before leaving the airport. Huh? After already paying approx. $100 in taxes just to come there.

The DR gets you coming and going. $10 to enter and $20 to leave.

aegap

Silver
Mar 19, 2005
When will the damn sti-atl route start?
I rather spend a night in NY to get to atlanta from sti than to go all the way to POP.
AZB

I thought it already started earlier this month? ...

New York Times in late November:

The Dominican Republic's increasing popularity is also increasing its accessibility. For example, [in December], Delta (Delta Air Lines - Airline Tickets and Airfare to Worldwide Destinations) plans to introduce nonstop flights from New York to Punta Cana, and will start flying direct from Atlanta to Santiago de Los Caballeros and Puerto Plata.

Kyle

Silver
Jun 2, 2006
bigbird,

i only pay 10 to enter, no departure tax. i think it's included in my ticket...

bigbird

Gold
May 1, 2005
bigbird,

i only pay 10 to enter, no departure tax. i think it's included in my ticket...

That's right you pay $20 to leave before you get there. Part of the taxes and fees include the $20 departure tax.

AZB

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
STI -ATL is scrapped from plans. No plans to start this route yet. :(
AZB

tflea

Bronze
Jun 11, 2006
Propinas

Can you plz share with us what desk at aduanas had the 'propinas please' sign posted? What office? Were you taken in a room somewhere or what? There are 3 big signs in aduanas that say no tips (in efect). As for the 3 pesos to get into the parking lot to return the car, well, that's about 10 cents US. I think the parking price is in the Guiness book of World Records for cheapest paid parking on the planet. But the aduanas thing is more important, please detail for us.
Sure is nice to have an alternative to AA outta Miami however.

toneloc24

Bronze
Mar 8, 2004
I believe that was a typo by the OP. The charge is 30 pesos.

I'm the OP. I gave the parking attendant a 10 peso bill. He returned 7 pesos. You do the math. No typo.

We were completely confused, and we speak Spanish. LOL!!!

toneloc24

Bronze
Mar 8, 2004
Can you plz share with us what desk at aduanas had the 'propinas please' sign posted? What office? Were you taken in a room somewhere or what? There are 3 big signs in aduanas that say no tips (in efect). As for the 3 pesos to get into the parking lot to return the car, well, that's about 10 cents US. I think the parking price is in the Guiness book of World Records for cheapest paid parking on the planet. But the aduanas thing is more important, please detail for us.
Sure is nice to have an alternative to AA outta Miami however.

Again, I stated that it wasn't about the money. It just made no sense. You're paying a cover charge to enter the lot to drop off a rental car? In airport parking lots, don't you pay when you LEAVE the lot? Just one of those "What The F---?" moments.

After you pay the $10 tourist card fee, the aduana agents at the desks that check your documents and stamp your passport. Even with the signs posted, and what appeared to be an official of some sort (maybe a supervisor) lurking, after stamping my passport, this aduana clerk had the nerve to show me the "Propinas Please" sign on his desk with his co-worker standing there. After I gave them the "F--- You" look, they turned away. Not sure who else they'd tried that on.

STIOP

Jun 11, 2004
Remember AZB!!!!

STI -ATL is scrapped from plans. No plans to start this route yet. :(
AZB

AZB, remember the flight will operate tomorrow (Dec 20) and the people at Delta tell me the flight is close to being full.......

Cossing fingers!!!!!

Saludos AZB

AZB

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
Its only one time only flight from atl-sti. Too bad they won't continue it.
AZB

Latino2002

Bronze
Jan 1, 2002
Keep Delta My Delta!!!!!!

:lick: Hello stiop
I was down in POP and STI last month seting up all Local Emergency Respond and local files. So far we do have a flight from Atlanta to STI tomorow wich is already full, and January 7th.

ATL-POP, ATL-STI, ATL-PUJ and ATL-SDQ, has been full, no Nonrev or budypasses make it so far...

Feliz Navidad to everyone in DR1
Proud to call Atlanta Hometown.:eek: :eek: :eek:gre:

STIOP

Jun 11, 2004
Hey Buddy!!!

:lick: Hello stiop
I was down in POP and STI last month seting up all Local Emergency Respond and local files. So far we do have a flight from Atlanta to STI tomorow wich is already full, and January 7th.

ATL-POP, ATL-STI, ATL-PUJ and ATL-SDQ, has been full, no Nonrev or budypasses make it so far...

Feliz Navidad to everyone in DR1
Proud to call Atlanta Hometown.:eek: :eek: :eek:gre:
Feliz navidad para ti tambien hermano!!!!!

Very happy to see DL225/224 ATL-STI-ATL with such a good load factor today....

When ur down here in STI give me a call...

Cuidate....

STIOP

tflea

Bronze
Jun 11, 2006
After you pay the $10 tourist card fee, the aduana agents at the desks that check your documents and stamp your passport. Even with the signs posted, and what appeared to be an official of some sort (maybe a supervisor) lurking, after stamping my passport, this aduana clerk had the nerve to show me the "Propinas Please" sign on his desk with his co-worker standing there. After I gave them the "F--- You" look, they turned away. Not sure who else they'd tried that on.[/QUOTE]

OK - that would be immigrations rather than customs. Sounds as though you handled it well. Nobody should pay anything at all to immigrations coming in except the $10 Tourist Card.

tflea

Bronze
Jun 11, 2006
After you pay the $10 tourist card fee, the aduana agents at the desks that check your documents and stamp your passport. Even with the signs posted, and what appeared to be an official of some sort (maybe a supervisor) lurking, after stamping my passport, this aduana clerk had the nerve to show me the "Propinas Please" sign on his desk with his co-worker standing there. After I gave them the "F--- You" look, they turned away. Not sure who else they'd tried that on.

OK - that would be immigrations rather than customs. Sounds as though you handled it well. Nobody should pay anything at all to immigrations coming in except the $10 Tourist Card.[/QUOTE]

Last edited: