Dengue Fever: Do you know what to do?

Dengue Fever...

• Total voters

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
WW, i think that sometimes dengue can be fairly mild. my brother in law now and one of my work colleagues before had no pain and not much of any other issues, just persisting fever and feeling of weakness.

Givadogahome

Silver
Sep 27, 2011
I can see the number of people suffering from Dengue rising by the second. Hangover-I got dengue. . Flu- I got dengue. Headache- I got dengue.

Criss Colon

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
yahoomail.com
My Penis fell off, "Must Be "Dengue"????
Get a platelet count, THEN, get back to me!!!
Otherwise, not-so-Much"!!!!!!!
CCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCC

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
speaking of penises. seems like my BIL drilled some hole while in a hospital and hallelujah, he is cured! he discharged himself (pun intended) and is back home. you guys know what to do now, when you feel a bit sick...

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
WW, i think that sometimes dengue can be fairly mild. my brother in law now and one of my work colleagues before had no pain and not much of any other issues, just persisting fever and feeling of weakness.

That was my experience, the first incident.

Criss Colon

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
yahoomail.com
"Endorphines" cure EVERYTHING!!!
No matter how you release them!!!
But having an orgasm has long been my favorite!
I call it "HOLE"istic Medicine"!
CCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCC

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
This came to me from another DR1'er......

it supports what we've been musing here about mild, undiagnosed attacks.

It also states that there is a type of 'reverse immunity'..... subsequent attacks can be more severe.
That was the case w/ me.

PeoplePC - News

NALs

Economist by Profession
Jan 20, 2003
Do the symptoms appear relatively within days of a mosquito bite or can they appear months later?

According to the article brought by William Webster, new Dengue cases are appearing in Western Europe and in the USA. That is good news in terms of creating a sense of urgency to find a vaccine for this. Had it been entirely a developing country disease, then there would had been no hope!

davetuna

Bronze
Jun 19, 2012
Cabarete, Dominican Republic
Had it after hurricane Ike came through Turks and Caicos............ felt like someone was sandpapering my eyes.....could not even look at my iPod screen......stayed indoors in daytime and had to wear shades at night when i came out for some air. Temperature up to 105.8, just wanted to sleep. then temp down to 97 then up again 105......

not enjoyable. lasted a week or so. just kept taking water and antiinflammatories and painkillers.

Malaria and dengue cases moving to other countries as global warming facilitates mosquito life....

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
Do the symptoms appear relatively within days of a mosquito bite or can they appear months later?

According to the article brought by William Webster, new Dengue cases are appearing in Western Europe and in the USA. That is good news in terms of creating a sense of urgency to find a vaccine for this. Had it been entirely a developing country disease, then there would had been no hope!

Symptoms appear 10 days after the bite...... you'll know - as told above, 105 degree fever hits you hard and stays.
I went to 101/102 for about 6-7 days before things settled down.

The skin flaked off my forehead first, then my feet a few days later..... it takes a toll, believe me.

Ringo

On Vacation!
Mar 6, 2003
You think that YOU feel bad? OR...

....how to kick a man when he's down.

Cataract surgery, inner ear problem, Dengue ?, kicked by a horse and NEW glasses!

Reading some of the different symptoms and I got to wondering if I had dengue? So I can add Dr. DR1 to my list of people and places to consult.

A week after my second eye was done I started getting headaches behind my eyes. My eyes felt like sandpaper was being used on them and little cuts going on. Going outside in the sun was very uncomfortable and very red eyes. But what the heck, I'd just had surgery and on 2 types of pills plus eyedrops, Aleve and they don't give you those standard issue dark glasses because they look good.

A week after the second eye was done, I started getting little sharp stabbing type pains in my chest but felt like it was on my rib cage, left of where the heart is but it moved around some. I felt cold then hot, cramps in my legs, feet and toes. Night sweats. A sore on my upper lip and patches of dry skin. No appetite. Always a little dizzy. I figured that it was side effects from the meds, my eyes/brain adjusting and me not getting any exercise at all and I was on new eye drop meds. More Aleve.

One of my horses had a problem and while working on her she rears and tags my right shoulder. (hey.. at least she missed my head with my new eyes.) Just what I needed. So onto some pain killers and Aspire Cream.

The above got worse plus I every now and then get an inner ear problem that makes my head spin and it is difficult to walk. BUT I have a couple of different pills for that too. The chest pain that appeared to be located on my rib cage made it almost impossible to take a deep breath. My night sweats would soak the bed and I'm so cold I'm shivering. Temperature over 102 then down to 97.5. My skin felt like it was vibrating. The leg, foot and toe cramps would not stop and now my hands would cramp up and my arm would twitch. My hands started to shake a little. I force myself to eat. No energy at all and I'm out of breath just walking up stairs so I stop going down them.

I've got something but don't know what. Flu symptoms but no stomach discomfort at all. I figure that I have some sort of infection on or near my rib cage that has set off my inner ear problem too.

Eye drop meds, Aleve, pain killers, inner ear pills, lip stuff, skin lotion, Aspire Cream and now cypro, mega vitamins and gallons of water, coconut water and OJ.

I notice a little blood when I brush my teeth.

I plan on going to the Doctor in the morning. BUT?.. I'm in bed sleeping and wake up coughing that is really hurting my chest and I can't take a deep breath. I get up and feel a POP in my chest. I grab onto the door jam since I'm about to pass out, but I don't. That spot in my chest that popped feels hot and like a rush of blood to my head or it drained of blood. After a minute my head clears and the sharp chest pain in now more like a sore. I can breath and feel better.

I go back to bed and if I ruptured a blood vessel or something that I would bleed to death in my sleep and in my own bed. So be it!

Doctor in the AM. Poke, prod, push, pull, listen. EKG, blood drawn, Xray and a dopler sonogram. Nothing shows up so he says that I'm fine and nothing more then over active muscle cramps and the POP in my chest was from one letting go. More pain killers and a muscle relaxer. Blood tests back in a couple of days.

Go to S. D. for eye check up. Doc there says a new flu is going around that has most of the same symptoms including the lip sore and that Cypro works the best on it. And btw?. I will need glasses.

Back home we go get the blood test results. White cells way up, I'm anemic and indications that my liver is/was having a problem. So far it sounds like an infection that is going away and I'm feeling so much better and on the mend.

A week later?. Lip sore starts to return along with some muscle cramps.

Still using eye drop meds. Back onto Aleve, muscle relaxer, pain killers and DOUBLE the cypro for 10 days.

I've been off of everything other the the eye drops for about 10 days now. Head aches gone, eyes clear and not too dizzy. Cramping and shaking stopped. Regaining energy and starting to go out and get things done. That sore in my chest is still there but getting better.

2 Docs with 2 different diagnoses'. Dr. Google, a vetrinarian (that was staying with us) and now Dr. DR1. So after over 3 months of Cataracts, inner ear problem, kicked by a horse, dengue?, adjusting to NEW glasses and lot's of different meds most likely made it so that no one really knows what I had.

I hope that everyone is feeling better! :)

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
You might have had (or have) Dengue.... that bleeding gum instance...???

Pain behind eyes, aching joints/muscles.. high fever (ups/downs temps).... seriously, did they test for Dengue.... white blood cell count??

You're listing all the classic symptoms..

Don't mess with it , Ringo.... unattended can be VERY serious.

Any mosquito bite you can recall.....

Ringo

On Vacation!
Mar 6, 2003
You might have had (or have) Dengue.... that bleeding gum instance...???

Pain behind eyes, aching joints/muscles.. high fever (ups/downs temps).... seriously, did they test for Dengue.... white blood cell count??

You're listing all the classic symptoms..

Don't mess with it , Ringo.... unattended can be VERY serious.

Any mosquito bite you can recall.....

Hi ww! I guess I missed a couple of points.

1. WHAT are the symptoms of Dengue Fever?
As I read through all the posts above it appears that DIFFERENT symptoms can show in different people and that Dengue has many different symptoms and can effect each individual a little differently.

2. What IS the recommended cure? Again.... lot's of what comes down to no one knows. Some saying do "this" and another says "Don't do 'this.'".

3. In my case I decided to just complicate everything with all sorts of .... everything else. But the bottom line is I don't know what I had, if anything, since I had so much other everything going on.

4. 2 GOOD Doctors, a very good Vet, Doctor Google and then Doc. DR1. Non came up with that I had Dengue until YOU said so. (And I respect that very much.) WHAT IS THE TEST that can be done to confirm that someone has Dengue?

SOOOOO. Perhaps someone can put together a sticky that explains number 1 and 2. Is that possible?

And to finish answering you my friend.... what day DON'T you get bitten by a mosquito?

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
1. primary symptom is high fever. present in most of the cases (but not always). other symptoms include pain (headache, bones, muscle), fatigue, dehydration. sometimes rash and red skin.

2. there is no cure. in mild cases one takes liquids to ensure proper hydration and acetaminophen (paracetamol) to lower the fever. some pain meds may be used, if prescribed by your doctor. if more difficult cases hospitalization is necessary with IV drop or even transfusion to rise the number of platelets.

3. any complications should be hospitalized ASAP. main complication is hemorrhagic dengue. in short, it happens when the virus infects the brain. in some cases other organs (heart and liver) may also be affected.

4. the basic test for dengue is based on platelets number. by even low platelets does not necessarily mean dengue. from what i understand there are other tests to confirm the presence of the virus but i do not think they are routinely done in DR.

i hope this helps.

Ringo

On Vacation!
Mar 6, 2003
Hi dv8. When I figured that I had a problem other then eye surgery, inner ear problem and being kicked by a horse, I Googled and found those same basic symptoms. Many I DID NOT have.

1. primary symptom is high fever. present in most of the cases (but not always). other symptoms include pain (headache, bones, muscle), fatigue, dehydration. sometimes rash and red skin.

Since I was on lots of meds, I didn't KNOW that I had a high temp until I had a very long night of "night sweats" that then went low. I read that it is named "break bone fever" because of the pain in the bones and joints. Mine was muscles causing cramps, twitches, skin "vibrating". The ONLY possible bone pain would have been the ribs. Just about every illness has fatigue. I never was dehydrated. I pushed the fluids to help "wash out" what ever I had. NO problem with vomiting or other end. But yes, loss of fluids from sweating at night. NO rash or red skin anywhere. Dry skin and that sore on my upper middle lip that I had NO idea why.

2. there is no cure. in mild cases one takes liquids to ensure proper hydration and acetaminophen (paracetamol) to lower the fever. some pain meds may be used, if prescribed by your doctor. if more difficult cases hospitalization is necessary with IV drop or even transfusion to rise the number of platelets.

NO cure. That's part of the OP and my question. Since I had other little things I used just about everything I had to attack my known situation and even my unknown. I felt like I was 120 years old with all my pills lined up stretching a foot long. I don't have anymore coconuts left on my dozen trees since my help swore that the coconut water would cure anything. BUT no one diagnosed me with anything so... what the hey?

3. any complications should be hospitalized ASAP. main complication is hemorrhagic dengue. in short, it happens when the virus infects the brain. in some cases other organs (heart and liver) may also be affected.

I had a some other things going on BUT I like the part about "infects the brain... etc". I respect Doctors but I don't go running to them with every little thing.

4. the basic test for dengue is based on platelets number. by even low platelets does not necessarily mean dengue. from what i understand there are other tests to confirm the presence of the virus but i do not think they are routinely done in DR.

Well our Doc. was out when I got my blood test back that indicated .... something was not right. JUST for fun I'll go back with the blood test and ask him to review again.

i hope this helps.

With so many people posting different things........ anything and everything helps. Thanks.

Last edited:

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
ringo, the main problem with dengue is that is is, quite often, asymptomatic: no fever, no pain, just discomfort. hence a friend from work i mentioned before: he did not even know he was sick until he got tired of feeling tired and went to the doctor.

your problem is very specific because you are on a huge battery of meds. i noticed you kept on taking lots of aleve (naproxen). naproxen is a great drug but it comes into interactions with a variety of medicine, including some for high blood pressure, depression, stomach and so on. most importantly is messes up with platelets and may cause bleeding, like the one from your gums. it should not be taken by patients with anemia, heart problems and high blood pressure.

you mentioned cypro, ciprofloxacin, i guess? again, a whole long list of side effects including bleeding, sudden pain, tingling, swelling of the lips. it also enters into interactions with lots of other medicine, some of which you might have been taking at a time (some painkillers, variety of steroids).

i think maybe you were pumped with too many things, some of which were not the best choice for your condition.

bronzeallspice

Live everyday like it's your last
Mar 26, 2012
So many complications from a tiny infected mosquito bite! I'm hoping to never get Dengue Fever.

Ringo

On Vacation!
Mar 6, 2003
ringo, the main problem with dengue is that is is, quite often, asymptomatic: no fever, no pain, just discomfort. hence a friend from work i mentioned before: he did not even know he was sick until he got tired of feeling tired and went to the doctor.

your problem is very specific because you are on a huge battery of meds. i noticed you kept on taking lots of aleve (naproxen). naproxen is a great drug but it comes into interactions with a variety of medicine, including some for high blood pressure, depression, stomach and so on. most importantly is messes up with platelets and may cause bleeding, like the one from your gums. it should not be taken by patients with anemia, heart problems and high blood pressure.

you mentioned cypro, ciprofloxacin, i guess? again, a whole long list of side effects including bleeding, sudden pain, tingling, swelling of the lips. it also enters into interactions with lots of other medicine, some of which you might have been taking at a time (some painkillers, variety of steroids).

i think maybe you were pumped with too many things, some of which were not the best choice for your condition.

Excellant dv8. Ya, lots of drugs and I KNEW that some where causing problems. Your pointing out the use of steroids was also one of my main concerns since my cataract eye drop meds had steroids. I DID stop some meds at one point or another in order to try to get a base line of.... what was going on. Stopping the eye meds turned my still healing eyes so bloody red that it was something out of a movie. It only took a couple of missed treatments and since my doc had very strongly warned me to watch for red eyes that I went right back to the eye meds. I stopped the Aleve for a couple of days too and that's when the fever and muscle cramping was really noticed. The Aleve had been somewhat controlling my fever and muscle cramping.

Very good post, observation and information. Let's hope that some of this and from others gets condensed into a "Sticky" that can get right to the point to help others.

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
i am happy to help. information of side effects, interactions and contraindications of medicine are easily available online but i guess it is not presented in a friendly way.

in your case eye drops were a must: steroids for inflammation and antibiotics for infection. this is a normal course of action. finishing full treatment for the eyes was important.