Deportee's, what should happen to them?

G

gary short

Perhaps Bill, but if these people are offered an alternative who knows.

I find it odd that you'd quote a catholic bishop in regards to a childs mentoring.

Rick Snyder

Silver
Nov 19, 2003
I don't understand why someone would find it odd that Texas Bill would use a catholic bishop's quote. They too say some enlightening things from time to time.

Texas Bill I liked the quote so therefore tried to find it but failed in my endeavor. I did find three that I think are appropriate ;

"There was a time when we expected nothing of our children but obedience, as opposed to the present, when we expect everything of them but obedience."
-- Anatole Broyard

"Let the child's first lesson be obedience, and the second will be what thou wilt."
-- Benjamin Franklin

"In the life of children there are two very clear-cut phases, before and after puberty. Before puberty the child's personality has not yet formed and it is easier to guide its life and make it acquire specific habits of order, discipline, and work: after puberty the personality develops impetuously and all extraneous intervention becomes odious, tyrannical, insufferable. Now it so happens that parents feel the responsibility towards their children precisely during this second period, when it is too late: then of course the stick and violence enter the scene and yield very few results indeed. Why not instead take an interest in the child during the first period?"
-- Antonio Gramsci

dulce

Silver
Jan 1, 2002
Using this bright idea, every expat is free to commit whatever crime he choses in the DR with the only punishment being deportation to his home country?
Yes, and let their country of origin take care of the punishment. Why should the DR tolerate or pay for the criminals from other countries.

Texas Bill

Silver
Feb 11, 2003
www.texasbill.com
Rick and Gary

Rick:

If I remember correctly, those words were by Bishop Sheen. And I'm not real sure about that. They could have been by Francis of Asisi.

By whomever, they have an intrinsic truth not to be discarded simply because of a difference of opinion of faith.

Gary:

I don't understand why you would find it odd that I would quote a Catholic Bishop. True, I am not Catholic, nor do I embrace any other organized religion.
I don't believe that fact disqualifies me from recognizing good, down to earth philosophy, however. I would hope that I am not so dogmatic as to disregard the truthful utterences of others simply because of their religious orientation.

Don't mean to be persnickity.

One's "Faith" is one's internal pursuit for his posterity. I respect that above everything else.

Shoot me a PM in explanation of your remark, if you would, please.

Texas Bill

Chirimoya

Dec 9, 2002
It's usually attributed to the Jesuits.

It wasn't the fact that Texas Bill quoted it, but an allusion to the child abuse scandals in the Catholic Church - at least that's how I read it.

Texas Bill

Silver
Feb 11, 2003
www.texasbill.com
Chirimoya said:
It's usually attributed to the Jesuits.

It wasn't the fact that Texas Bill quoted it, but an allusion to the child abuse scandals in the Catholic Church - at least that's how I read it.

Chiri:

You may well be correct in your attributing the quote to the Jesuits. I'm not sure myself, but thought it to be attributed to Bishop Sheen.

The quote has absolutely NOTHING to do with the current or previous scandals within/about the Catholic Church over child abuse. That item of discussion is/was furtherest from my mind when I made the Quote. Additionally, I don't think it has any bearing on the allegations which have been made against the Catholic Church over "child abuse".

Children between birth and the beginings of the "age of reason" are similar in phychological makeup to animals and should/must be trained in correct/proper behavior. That is our responsibility as parents to perform. Daily correction and reinforcement of the behavior desired is paramount during these formative years of a child's life. It is that to which I was refrring. Nothing more and nothing less.
Sorry that my quote was taken to have had a hidden meaning...it wasn't intended and is emphatically denied.

Texas Bill

Chirimoya

Dec 9, 2002
Texas Bill, until Gary comes back and clarifies his comment, we can only speculate. I'm sure everyone understood what you meant. It was Gary who reacted with a comment about the CC's fitness (or lack of) as an authority on the education of small children, in the light of subsequent revelations about child abuse.

Texas Bill

Silver
Feb 11, 2003
www.texasbill.com
Chiri:

My apologies for responding to YOUR post and not that of Gary.

I am firm in my opinion that the Catholic Church is immenently qualified to supervise/educate children. The actions ofa few "bad apples" whose sexual orientation is/may be suspect doesn't detract from the discipline and focus of the educational system operated by the Church.
They have some of the finest and most extensively educated personnel in their Parochial School system that I know of. In most cases, far better than in the Public sector where the teachers are hamstrung by overly protective parents who really don't know what is best for their children nor are most of the parents educated to the point of understanding the necessity for disciplinary procedures against the rules of the local School boards. These types of parents don't realize that discipline is an intrinsic part of a youngsters education and preparation for facing life as it is.

Against the Catholic Church, NO. not by a long shot even though I don't embrace their theological philosophy.

I''m a 32nd degree Mason and a Shriner, but I don't worship that either. And neither does that doesn't make me Anti-Catholic, now does it?

Texas Bill

MrMike

Silver
Mar 2, 2003
www.azconatechnologies.com
In all fairness to Gary Texas Bill's comment does provide a pretty good setup for any number of tasteless wisecracks.

Nothing to do with the validity of his comment, just tempting for those who like to make fun of the establishment.

liam1

Bronze
Jun 9, 2004
leave the drug-dealers alone, it's a victim-less crime. the murderers, rapists, child-molesters, women-abusers, robbers... drop them from the plane in the middle of the ocean.

Texas Bill

Silver
Feb 11, 2003
www.texasbill.com
liam1 said:
leave the drug-dealers alone, it's a victim-less crime. the murderers, rapists, child-molesters, women-abusers, robbers... drop them from the plane in the middle of the ocean.

No, No, don't leave the drug-dealers alone!!
Think of all the Taxes the Government is bilked out of by leaving them alone?

Texas Bill

G

gary short

Chirimoya said:
Texas Bill, until Gary comes back and clarifies his comment, we can only speculate. I'm sure everyone understood what you meant. It was Gary who reacted with a comment about the CC's fitness (or lack of) as an authority on the education of small children, in the light of subsequent revelations about child abuse.
Bingo...... you've got it.

G

gary short

Allright I'm all for providing vocational training.............but why not, in the states, send them to the Marines???????? They wouldn't pass go...not land in the D.R..........and get to sample the great cuisine in Camp Pendleton.

G

gary short

Texas Bill said:
Bingo----you've got it !!

Texas Bill

HAHAHAHAHA..............back at me.........but seriously.......why not...the gyreens could always use a few more. The ones that can't hack it go to vocational school or get ground up for soylent green.

HOWMAR

Silver
Jan 28, 2004
gary short said:
Allright I'm all for providing vocational training.............but why not, in the states, send them to the Marines???????? They wouldn't pass go...not land in the D.R..........and get to sample the great cuisine in Camp Pendleton.
Many of the deportees that I have met are products of the prison "boot camps" in the US. They were usually sentenced to prison for 3 year terms (usually a drug related charge), and were given the choice of "boot camp'" for a year and early parole and deportation. The Industry which I am associated employs a large number of deportees who are now law abiding and productive workers.

El Tigre

El Tigre de DR1 - Moderator
Jan 23, 2003
Rick,

It'll probably be another 50 years before the government can even explore something like this. I think it's great but it won't fly down there. I can already see how a few of these devices might get "misplaced" if placed in the wrong hands and sold off to other buyers. It's sad but we all know how corrupt the government there is.

Rick Snyder

Silver
Nov 19, 2003