Developing a Primary School for Kids

Chip

Platinum
Jul 25, 2007
Santiago
To the OP, I think a private school is a good idea.

However, if you think Dominican kids need any help with social skills I would say you are confusing them with gringos. What they need are qualified teachers with patience.

I am a teacher by the way of primary and secondary students.

bob saunders

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
dr1.com
To the OP, I think a private school is a good idea.

However, if you think Dominican kids need any help with social skills I would say you are confusing them with gringos. What they need are qualified teachers with patience.

I am a teacher by the way of primary and secondary students.

Depends on what you call social skills. Dominican children in general are pushy and impolite. That doesn't mean they aren't friendly or delightful, but they push and hit a lot, talk out of turn, don't wait their turn, talk when they should be quiet...etc. This means they are somewhat like children everywhere.
What I have noticed is boys and girls play well together.

RandyLRM

May 21, 2014
This is a noble cause. The children are our future.

The only way to be effective is to work within their cultural norms and value system.

Lindsey

I hope I am also not preaching to the choir.

What Lindsey has said is absolutely true. One of the first things that educational organizations typically talk about when they come to me our our firm is "best practices." The first thing I say is, "ok, let's first figure out best practices for YOU. What works someplace else may not work here." You absolutely need to define an achievable "end game" for the environment that you're in, and work backwards from there. Think also about how, in concrete terms, you're going to measure that success. Perhaps how it's measured in the research that you are relying on?

I wish you the best of luck!

Aug 6, 2006
With all due respect until you have lived like poor Dominicans you wouldn't understand. BTW, the nice clothes you see them wearing are no doubt used.

Probably paca clothes, which can be very nice and are inexpensive. But what difference does that make? After you put on clothes once, they are used.