DGM Migration deports undocumented aliens from 13 countries

cavok

Silver
Jun 16, 2014
Cabarete

According to the article, it costs an average of $425 to deport an illegal foreigner by air. That means that legal residents are paying $100/yr everytime they renew for $425 worth of "coverage". Meanwhile, I would guess that less than 1 in 5000 legal residents are ever deported in any one year. Hmmmmm......

I'm beginning to think that legal residents are really paying a lot of the cost of deporting these illegals.

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
DGM is not a closed system, it's a part of the government budget machine. its income flows into the treasury and is redistributed rather than being cycled within that single office itself. anyone who pays anything to the dominican government, from tourist cards to residencies, from income taxes to marbete, from driving licenses to police checks - it all contributes to deportations, hospitals, government salaries and so on.

and that's after half of it gets stolen by politicos. ;)

cavok

Silver
Jun 16, 2014
Cabarete
That's all true but, as I said, the premium that residents are now paying for deportation insurance really has nothing to do with the actual cost of deporting LEGAL residents. Who even knows where all the money is going? Only 2 or 3 companies are authorized to issue this insurance.

And just think of how much they'll be bringing in when the 250,000 that are currently in the PNRE finally become residents and have to start paying for this when they renew. There will be a lot more money flowing somewhere! They've come up a real money maker on this one.

airgordo

Bronze
Jun 24, 2015
That's all true but, as I said, the premium that residents are now paying for deportation insurance really has nothing to do with the actual cost of deporting LEGAL residents. Who even knows where all the money is going? Only 2 or 3 companies are authorized to issue this insurance.

And just think of how much they'll be bringing in when the 250,000 that are currently in the PNRE finally become residents and have to start paying for this when they renew. There will be a lot more money flowing somewhere! They've come up a real money maker on this one.

I don't think that will ever happen, those 250,000 are haitians that while given two extensions to complete the paperwork to get a residencia, they have been unable to do so, just 7,000 have completed after almost 4 years

cavok

Silver
Jun 16, 2014
Cabarete
I don't think that will ever happen, those 250,000 are haitians that while given two extensions to complete the paperwork to get a residencia, they have been unable to do so, just 7,000 have completed after almost 4 years

Yeah, who knows(?). DGM will probably just "extend and pretend" forever. This was supposedly the last extension, but I doubt it.

Cdn_Gringo

Gold
Apr 29, 2014
From today's DR1 news:

Illegal foreigners arrested in Santiago
The Migration Agency (DGM) has carried out raids in different parts of Santiago and arrested 630 foreigners of different nationalities who were in the country illegally. The were arrests in following sectors of Santiago: Los Guandules, Cañada del Diablo, Amansa Tigre, Multis de Pekin, Barrio Lindo, La Ceibita, Camboya, Hoya del Caimito, Don Pedro, Licey al Medio, Gurabo, Los Pérez, Tamboril, Cerro Alto, Cruce de Jacagua among others.

Following processing using biometrics and the DGM database, 279 Haitians were deported back to Haiti via Dajabon and Elias Piña, and another three were taken to the Investigation Department of the DGM, together with four Venezuelans.

There have been similar raids in another 22 provinces over the last few months as the DGM continues to look for those in the country illegally.

https://www.facebook.com/DGMRD/
https://www.diariolibre.com/noticias...iago-FF9744403

I wonder who were and what happened to the other 344 people mentioned?

Has any overstayer on this forum, been stopped at a DGM roadside check, been asked for papers and then let go in the past 6 months? I'm just trying to determine if there is any reason to believe that North Americans/Europeans are being given a break when these checks are being run?

"Privileged overstayers" are a very small percentage of the illegals in this country. Those who drive enough and far enough to encounter a road block even fewer. I expect the number to be small. One would think that enough time has passed since the "gringo roundup" that someone would be able to offer some first hand experience of what transpired at one of these roadside stops.

CristoRey

Welcome To Wonderland
Apr 1, 2014
Immigration is working in Santiago in the mornings usually between 5am-8am
rounding up Haitians for deportation on a weekly basis. Not sure why this is news.

Cdn_Gringo

Gold
Apr 29, 2014
Granted Haitians and Venezuelans make up the vast majority of those identified, detained and removed. These announcements don't very often supply the number of "first worlders" involved but occasionally they do. I am just wondering if a small number of this group are involved and just not reported, identified and let go or just not stopped in the first place.

The law of probability would suggest that by now, if the media was doing its job, there should be a few reports of the "entitled ones" being caught up in these ongoing operations. I am curious to learn what happened when it was determined the stay outlasted the passport stamp.

Cdn_Gringo

Gold
Apr 29, 2014
Unfortunately, guesses and supposition is all we have to go on. With no specific reports on who is detained/repatriated and why, the speculation will continue. One way or the other a clear statement from the govt is long overdue. When I am out and about, I come under scrutiny approximately every four or five months either at a check point of some kind or by being waved over. I find it odd that there are zero reports of what transpired at one of these stops by anyone who could be considered a member of the targeted group.

I'm not saying that I would find it strange for those stopped to be reluctant to mention it if there was some sort of penalty involved but would expect a report or two by now if someone was just thanked for their economic benefit to the island and sent on their way.

jahjahwarrior

Mar 14, 2017
I've only been stopped by amet in December, and I don't carry a passport with me and they don't ask for one.

Almost daily they have roadblock on Juan Pablo Duarte in santiago. If they cannot notice that pattern and spread the word "hey it seems to me that everyone who has to run an errand around the Ochoa on JPD, doesn't come back again, kind of suspicious huh? " then....

The one time they stopped me they didn't ask for a passport. They asked if I had guns, I said no, they waved me by.

Not that I would have any issues, I don't overstay nowadays, but i don't carry my passport because I don't want to lose it.

I keep a duplicate of my license and 500 pesos with my registration and insurance card

tmnyc

Oct 19, 2006
Notice that there is no mention of any Canadians, Americans, or North Europeans... except a few from France... maybe they were a little bit to tanned...

Thought Puerto Ricans were full US citizens (Americans) with exactly the same passport as citizens of the other states of the Union... and sometimes less "exposed to the sun" than their Dominican counterparts.

NALs

Economist by Profession
Jan 20, 2003
Yesterday Nuria Piera aired an investigation she did based on the increasing number of Venezuelans complaining that they are being mistreated by Dominican migration officials. Many Venezuelans claim they are stopped and asked for documentation, since most don't carry a passport with them but usually have it in their homes, migration officials arrest them and take them to the migration detention center. Many are asked for bribes.

On the second half of the video Nuria show the immigrant detention center due to a complaint made by this young Venezuelan. He was deported a few days after Nuria's team visited the place.

Ven.jpg

A group of Venezuelans are also held at the Las Americas airport. They claim they are being mistreated and having their human rights violated, including not given any food during the days they have been detained. In the video you can see a couple of Venezuelans that were asked questions by Nuria's team while they were taking food to their family members or friends. They say that many Venezuelans detained in Las Americas airport and that don't have family or friends in the country are literally starving.

[video=youtube;zP2_pzXWpYQ]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zP2_pzXWpYQ[/video]