Did you feel it?? 7:04 a.m. The house shook.

SantiagoDR

The "REAL" SantiagoDR
Jan 12, 2006
Believe her...7:04 here....

It took a minute....can you imagine that? How many mph....for you math people...

Hb

157 miles away x 60 seconds = 9,420 miles per hour

That's probably wrong ! lol

Last edited:

Kyle

Silver
Jun 2, 2006
not sure, different sources are saying different things. one thing for sure it measured 6.1 and i feel even more sad for the people of Haiti.

SantiagoDR

The "REAL" SantiagoDR
Jan 12, 2006
The two earthquakes were only about 23 miles apart from each other.

Yes, but it would not be an aftershock, then, would it?
I stated "Earthquake", some of the "News" media is causing it an aftershock.

If you tracked the "aftershocks" from the major 7.0 earthquake,
none of them were in the exact location of the original.

In reality, aftershocks are earthquakes, just a matter of teminolgy for the same thing.

They probably refer to it as an aftershock, for any earthquake that follows a major earthquake in the same area..

Don

Ken

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
Yes, but it would not be an aftershock, then, would it?

If it is different points on the same fault line, it is probably called an aftershock because the earth is still shifting back into alignment following the initial earthquake.

However, as Santiago said, they are all "earthquakes". The 6.1 "aftershock" in Haiti this morning was strong enough to be bit news if it had not been preceded by the 7.0 quake that devastated the country.

NALs

Economist by Profession
Jan 20, 2003
Interesting: It took a minute for it to hit Santiago. That was fast.
Remember when the big one hit Haiti, it was felt more in Santiago and San Francisco de Macoris than inthe Capital...can't say why...

And I timed this one, close on to 10 seconds first to last....

HB
I'm almost certain the different soil in the Cibao vs. Santo Domingo explains the disparity. SD sits on rock solid coral, while Santiago sits on a rich soil that is also one of the deepest top soils in the world (along with the rest of the Vega Real).

My guess is, as the waves produced at the epicenter travel away in all directions, the waves become longer, losing their punch the further away they travel. It must be easier for weak waves to move soft and deep top soil and be felt in such place vs. the effect it would have on the much more stable, rock solid coral.

Does anyone have a different hypothesis?