Digital ‘nomads’ seek paradise in beachfront Dominican town, hurt local economy

Big

Apr 24, 2019
...In your opinion.
yes but of course, you are correct again. There are countless high net worth individuals all over Cab. They are disguising themselves as stoned surfers. Riding old moto conchos, hanging out at the taco shop and smoking weed all day. I just thought they were unemployed waiters from Ontario wearing Bob Marley T shirts.

• Sad
Reactions: drstock

Big

Apr 24, 2019
Well said... Both my father and FIL who both own successful businesses have always said the less people know about you and your money the better. I spoke with a friend yesterday about this exact topic. They are living in a beachfront condo (not in Cab but in the DR), working from home, living what they consider, and many others would consider a very comfortable life. They shop when they want, eat out when they want, travel when they want, etc... Not everyone needs to brag about eating at 5-star restaurants, mingling with the upper crest, etc... Some just prefer to live "low key".
Most people that live very low key are making low key wages. I guess there are some people that are earning 300 thousand plus bonus who eat Spam and Rice. They certainly could save a bundle by buying cloths at one of the Chinese clothing stores in Sosua. The truth of the matter is that the large majority of the digital nomads in the Cab area aren't making squat. But it makes for an interesting thread.

flyinroom

Silver
Aug 26, 2012
I rank "digital nomads" right up there with "influencers".
Both concepts get on my nerves.
I blame the internet and the Kardashians.
But then again...
Where would all of us, paid up members in good standing of dr1, be... without the internet?
lol.
And time goes marching on.

keepcoming

Moderator - Living & General Stuff
May 25, 2011
But then again...
Where would all of us, paid up members in good standing of dr1, be... without the internet?
lol.
Wow what a concept....

XQT

Dec 7, 2022
Puerto Plata
yes but of course, you are correct again. There are countless high net worth individuals all over Cab. They are disguising themselves as stoned surfers. Riding old moto conchos, hanging out at the taco shop and smoking weed all day. I just thought they were unemployed waiters from Ontario wearing Bob Marley T shirts.
Funny,

Yes some digital nomads may spend some time in Cabarete.
Yet they can have significant income and live anywhere in the world.
EU, AUS, NZ, Asia,S. Pacific, many great developed places with ambiance and working infrastructure.

Cabarete and New Guinea may be a temporary curiosity, before the Nomad moves to greener pastures.

Reactions: AlaPlaya

flyinroom

Silver
Aug 26, 2012
But then again...
lol.
Okay so...
Mea culpa.
I did a little digging to find out the true definition of the words "digital nomad" and realized that my idea of what it meant to be one was a little off base.
lol.
It probably comes from watching too many episodes of House Hunters Int'l. The young kids living hand to mouth travelling around and searching out lodgings for $100 or less whilst proudly proclaiming themselves to be "digital nomads".
I am probably not alone in that faulty understanding of the term.
But...
Influencers and Kardashians still get on my nerves.

Lucifer

Silver
Jun 26, 2012
It's a well written article. She clearly has creative writing training.

And if everything goes according to plans, I'll work remotely out Punta Cana a year from now.
However, I'll refer to myself as a cyber hobo.

Reactions: bob saunders

JD Jones

Moderator:North Coast,Santo Domingo,SW Coast,Covid
Jan 7, 2016
Well said... Both my father and FIL who both own successful businesses have always said the less people know about you and your money the better. I spoke with a friend yesterday about this exact topic. They are living in a beachfront condo (not in Cab but in the DR), working from home, living what they consider, and many others would consider a very comfortable life. They shop when they want, eat out when they want, travel when they want, etc... Not everyone needs to brag about eating at 5-star restaurants, mingling with the upper crest, etc... Some just prefer to live "low key".
I know 3 guys who are multimillionaires, but you would NEVER guess they have money based on what they drive and wear.

johne

Silver
Jun 28, 2003
Okay so...
Mea culpa.
I did a little digging to find out the true definition of the words "digital nomad" and realized that my idea of what it meant to be one was a little off base.
lol.
It probably comes from watching too many episodes of House Hunters Int'l. The young kids living hand to mouth travelling around and searching out lodgings for $100 or less whilst proudly proclaiming themselves to be "digital nomads".
I am probably not alone in that faulty understanding of the term.
But...
Influencers and Kardashians still get on my nerves.
I totally respect a man that can say "mea culpa". If the universe worked like this......:):):):)

XQT

Dec 7, 2022
Puerto Plata
I know 3 guys who are multimillionaires, but you would NEVER guess they have money based on what they drive and wear.
I know three billionaires,
One in Monte Carlo
One in Doha
One in Shanghai

You would know immediately that they are billionaires based on their multiple residences, cars and attire.
The don't need to hide it, no need to be modest or subtle.
In a poor developing country it is best to be inconspicuous.

None of them are digital nomads roaming the earth.
They are digital and physical entrepreneurs.
None of them live in Cabarete, nor have they ever been there, nor do they have a desire to ever be there.

Reactions: JD Jones

JD Jones

Moderator:North Coast,Santo Domingo,SW Coast,Covid
Jan 7, 2016
I know three billionaires,
One in Monte Carlo
One in Doha
One in Shanghai

You would know immediately that they are billionaires based on their multiple residences, cars and attire.
The don't need to hide it, no need to be modest or subtle.
In a poor developing country it is best to be inconspicuous.

None of them are digital nomads roaming the earth.
They are digital and physical entrepreneurs.
None of them live in Cabarete, nor have they ever been there, nor do they have a desire to ever be there.
A million dollars ain't what it used to be, that's for sure.

Big

Apr 24, 2019
Well I stand corrected. I would have guessed all these guys walking around Cab. with pierced noses, dirty flip flops and sleeping 6 deep at the surf camp on the mosquito infested south side of the highway to be lazy unemployed losers. Now I know they are actuay multi- millionaires.

bob saunders

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
dr1.com
Most people that live very low key are making low key wages. I guess there are some people that are earning 300 thousand plus bonus who eat Spam and Rice. They certainly could save a bundle by buying cloths at one of the Chinese clothing stores in Sosua. The truth of the matter is that the large majority of the digital nomads in the Cab area aren't making squat. But it makes for an interesting thread.
What does living low key have to do with the money a person makes?

bob saunders

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
dr1.com
Well I stand corrected. I would have guessed all these guys walking around Cab. with pierced noses, dirty flip flops and sleeping 6 deep at the surf camp on the mosquito infested south side of the highway to be lazy unemployed losers. Now I know they are actuay multi- millionaires.
I doubt that many of those you describe have any job.

Big

Apr 24, 2019
What does living low key have to do with the money a person makes?
I did not coin the term "low key" another poster did. I was simply trying to relay that the young people that look like beach bums in Cab. are just that. They are not wealthy digital nomads. They are young unemployed weed smokers with a limited budget.

Fulano2

Bronze
Jun 5, 2011
Europe
I doubt that many of those you describe have any job.
I know there are or were two or three germans that lived on a german unemployment payment. Not the full amount but they made a deal for a couple of hundred, if I remember bien it was 600 DM then.
They gave up on these guys and probably found it cheaper to send them less money
and let them go.
I remember they had to collect it every month at the embassy.

One of them did a good job repairing our televisión.

drstock

Silver
Oct 29, 2010
Cabarete
Well, apparently you know "the truth" better than anyone else. Personally, and unlike you, it seems, the amount of money a person has is not my main concern in judging someone's character.

cavok

Silver
Jun 16, 2014
Cabarete
Digital nomads will be some of the first to be replaced by artificial intelligence. Enjoy it while it lasts.