Direct flight to Santiago vs flight to santo domingo and bus to Santiago

Jaws2003

Mar 31, 2016
Hello everyone. I haven't seen this subject covered recently but I was just approved some vacation time and I want to come to the DR in the next couple of weeks. Thing is there's around a $200-$250 difference between flying to Santiago vs Santo Domingo. What I would like to know is if anyone has flew to Santo Domingo and took a bus, uber or private car Santiago? If so were there other precautions taken to get to their flight on time?

Sent from my SM-A505U using Tapatalk

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
I have flown to (and from) Santo Domingo and taken a bus from and to Sosua. That bus stops in Santiago. It all depends on how much time you have to waste and how much you like to be in transit versus the costs. Some type of taxi to the bus station and then the bus to Santiago, if the plane lands at a time when this is possible and buses are still running. I have had to get hotels in Santo Domingo when the flights were not possible to be made on the same day because of the bus schedules. I might still do this from time to time, but it is not pleasant.

Jaws2003

Mar 31, 2016
The flight I am looking at for Santo domingo comes in at 4am so I would have some time to burn. I see the bus schedule starts at 6am. How much would it be for an uber from the airport to the bus depot?

suarezj519

May 14, 2014
The flight I am looking at for Santo domingo comes in at 4am so I would have some time to burn. I see the bus schedule starts at 6am. How much would it be for an uber from the airport to the bus depot?

Uber has weird rates from SDQ into the city so it varies. I ve seen 500 - 800 to caribe tours for example. But also most Uber drivers don't like driving to and from airport because of the lowered rates. Tip is recommended in this case. Also getting in to Santo Domingo at those hours. I'd recommend caution.

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
I think I'd be looking for a reliable pickup....

You only need to go 7-8 minutes to the Caribe Tours depot at the toll road
Swallow the fee and get there - catch a bus to SD

Crack open a map - quite easy really

Riva_31

Bronze
Apr 1, 2013
San Pedro de Macoris
Uber has weird rates from SDQ into the city so it varies. I ve seen 500 - 800 to caribe tours for example. But also most Uber drivers don't like driving to and from airport because of the lowered rates. Tip is recommended in this case. Also getting in to Santo Domingo at those hours. I'd recommend caution.

If you will use Uber to pick up in Santo Domingo remember to setup the pickup point in diferent place far from airport taxis are located at the exit door, if you stay close to that point no one will go to pick you up