divorcing sponsor

THE GAME

Jul 13, 2005
www.nydailynews.com
Hillbilly said:
That is really the way to go.

Maquiavelian in the best of sneses..:p:p:p

And Trina's case is fine with me....so what. Who will tell? The dumb schitt won't cause he can't read.

Looks like HB's Three Golden Rules for Dating a Dominican are shinier than ever...:D:D:D

HB :ermm:

3 golden rules are a great standard to follow and should
be used in majority of the cases but there might be cases
where 1 of the rules is not met and the girl/guy is genuine.
And vice versa, the 3 rules might be met but when the
sponsoree arrives in motherland, he/she becomes the real person and turns out to be a d!ck.

it's good, like someone said, to get to know the person
but that doesn't guarantee a successful marriage.
Besides getting to know a person one must learn
the culture, the people, the customs, etc etc to get
a better picture.

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
Anna!!! Irotflmao!!!

I really burst out laughing!! Glad there was no coffee in the mouth! Hate sticky keyboards..:D:D:D

rellosk of course I am!

Anna: We once had a house guest that was an ER nurse up on Long Island. She told us the story of a woman that glued "it" to hubby's leg with Magic Glue. Took a team of 6 doctors a bunch of hours to get "it" unstuck!! LMAO!

I do agree with Anna's take on this. It was the better of several terrible alternatives and served the sob right.

I fully agree, also , that the Three Golden Rules are just guidelines, not carved in granite...like the Ten Commandments...

HB , still curmudgeony :ermm: :ermm:

HOWMAR

Silver
Jan 28, 2004
miguel said:
Since YOU are throwing percentages out there, not only that it would help Canada and the US BUT IT WOULD HELP EVERY SINGLE COUNTRY ON THE GLOBE!!!!!. So yea, that is EXACTLY what I am trying to say!.

And, let me add, ANYBODY with a little common sense and logic would know it!. If a "pea brain" like me knows it, anybody can know it also/too!.
I agree. It was not me but you who said that it was the "only thing" needed to prevent divorce. It is just one aspect of the problem. In an ideal world, you are right, getting to know your future spouse may (not will) prevent divorce. Not only do we not live in a perfect world, but people change and can fall out of love.

AnnaC

Gold
Jan 2, 2002
Readytogo said:
If she was truly desperate, why didn't she pursue the legal channels that is available to all Canadian Citizens?

Read Trina's story again. How about his fraud and deception to get here and sit on his ***? He must have been really good at deception to fool her and the system that interveiwed him for his visa. So it really started with his deception. Try and prove that through our courts.

HOWMAR

Silver
Jan 28, 2004
Anna Coniglio said:
Read Trina's story again. How about his fraud and deception to get here and sit on his ***? He must have been really good at deception to fool her and the system that interveiwed him for his visa. So it really started with his deception. Try and prove that through our courts.
It never ceases to amaze me how some woman can be critical be of their spouse's immoral or illegal activity, yet dive so much deeper into the sewer to get even. Before you respond, please note I said some woman, not all woman. Most men, when taken advantage of, simply cut their losses and move on. If it's over, it's over. Like Rodney King said, "Can't we all just get along?"

miguel

I didn't last long...
Jul 2, 2003
Oh my!

Anna Coniglio said:
It was kinder than shooting him in the head or cutting off his dick but you would have to walk in her shoes to understand a desparate woman's mind set ;)
Maybe if cutting his "johnson" off would had helped her get her common senses back, by all means, cut the darn thing off!!. Oooooch!!. But by the same token, SOME females should have their "privates" glued with "crazy" glue when they think that they can change a person that they know nothing about!. . Oooooouch!!.

On a serious note:

NOTHING in life merits making a person miserable. Why make the situation worse by lying just because one made a mistake and now wants to get rid of that problem any which way possible.

If SOME like to make their "beds", darn it, make sure that you know how to handle yourself when that "bed" is no good to you any more. There are many people that TRULY need the courts and police protections and people should not abuse those privileges. The "Run Away Bride" comes to mind. Btw, I was so happy when they made her pay back all the money spent on her "search" and I was happier when I saw pictures of her cleaning streets as punishment for her abuse of the police and community manpower.

Whatever happened to asking a person: "leave me alone"?
Whatever happened to telling a person: "if you don't leave me alone, I will call the cops"?.
Whatever happened to using the legal systems for what it's there for: TO SERVE THE PEOPLE IN NEED!.

AnnaC

Gold
Jan 2, 2002
You guys kill me.

Go beat up on Luis he's a guy and he was the first to say that what she did was ok by him. ;)

Now did anyone answer the original question that was asked?

miguel

I didn't last long...
Jul 2, 2003
Ay papa!!

Anna Coniglio said:
You guys kill me.

Go beat up on Luis he's a guy and he was the first to say that what she did was ok by him. ;)

Now did anyone answer the original question that was asked?
I am sure that if Luis was the one having his "johnson" cut off, it would not be fine with him( I know that we are not talking about the "johnson but I am just making an example). I don't know about Luis but if I don't have my "johnson", what's there to live for.

Besides, "him" have been my companion for so long that I can not live without "him".

Tell you what, kill me but live "him" alone. LONG LIVE "HIM"!!.

Ps: yes, I think that the OP got her answer. If not, I believe that the lawyers in Canada are very well capable of answering her questions.

pride21

May 14, 2005
www.facebook.com
trina said:
As an aside, the government will only deport a person if he is breaking the law or commiting crimes. I think it also has to be rather serious for them to get involved. The government cannot force married couples to stay together just because one sponsored the other, thank goodness. As mentioned above, the sponsor might be quite nervous upon divorcing, because if the sponsorship agreement isn't over yet, and the sponsoree has no financial means of supporting themselves, the sponsor has to pay everything. Also, if the sponsoree collects welfare, the government can come back on the sponsor to repay every penny the sponsoree collected.
The sponsoree has a full time job and is completely able to take care of himself.
So, there is no time frame in which the sponsoree has to work with? He can marry, get his sponsorship, then divorce a short time later? Or is there a time frame in which the sponsorship has to take effect?

Gero

Jul 26, 2005
pride21 said:
The sponsoree has a full time job and is completely able to take care of himself.
So, there is no time frame in which the sponsoree has to work with? He can marry, get his sponsorship, then divorce a short time later? Or is there a time frame in which the sponsorship has to take effect?

Not sure that I understand your questions, but let me take a stab at it. The timeframe on sponsorship starts when the new immigrant lands (or arrives) in Canada. If the application was submitted prior to June 28 (I think), 2002, the sponsorship remains in effect for 10 years from the date of landing. If the application was submitted after that date, the commitment is 3 years from the date of landing.

He can marry, get sponsorship and divorce at any time. Depending on the type of divorce and the province, there is sometimes a waiting period before he can remarry. Sometimes not.

Also, he may be able to support himself now, but sometimes terrible, unplanned things happen to people (accident/illness/layoff) and he may need to utilize the system within the sponsorship period. Repayment of any money spent on him would be collected from the sponsor and not the new spouse.

If I misunderstood the questions, sorry.

pride21

May 14, 2005
www.facebook.com
Gero said:
Not sure that I understand your questions, but let me take a stab at it. The timeframe on sponsorship starts when the new immigrant lands (or arrives) in Canada. If the application was submitted prior to June 28 (I think), 2002, the sponsorship remains in effect for 10 years from the date of landing. If the application was submitted after that date, the commitment is 3 years from the date of landing.

He can marry, get sponsorship and divorce at any time. Depending on the type of divorce and the province, there is sometimes a waiting period before he can remarry. Sometimes not.

Also, he may be able to support himself now, but sometimes terrible, unplanned things happen to people (accident/illness/layoff) and he may need to utilize the system within the sponsorship period. Repayment of any money spent on him would be collected from the sponsor and not the new spouse.

If I misunderstood the questions, sorry.
Then why does he need to marry for sponsorship at all? He's been here 4 years.
Sorry for all the questions, but we've been waiting four days for his lawyer to get back to us, and I would like to figure this out :)

AnnaC

Gold
Jan 2, 2002
Your original question is, can he be deported if he divorces his sponsor. I beleive most people said no, unless he committed a crime.

Unless things have changed there is a 30 day waiting period between getting your final divorce papers and getting married again.

Length of Time for Support
You must provide financial support for the relatives or family members you are sponsoring depending on their age and relationship to you. If you are sponsoring:

your spouse, common-law partner or conjugal partner, you must provide financial support for three years from the date that person became a permanent resident;

If he's been in Canada for four years and has his PR then you're off the hook for further support or whomever is divorcing him.

Here's the link.

http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/sponsor/support.html

DianaC

Jan 8, 2005
Clarification

Anna Coniglio said:
Length of Time for Support
You must provide financial support for the relatives or family members you are sponsoring depending on their age and relationship to you. If you are sponsoring:

your spouse, common-law partner or conjugal partner, you must provide financial support for three years from the date that person became a permanent resident;

If he's been in Canada for four years and has his PR then you're off the hook for further support or whomever is divorcing him.

If he has been here four years, the person who sponsored him is on the hook for 6 more years. When the immigration laws changed in 2002, they were not retroactive. Whomever sponsored him is on the hook for the full 10 years from when he landed. Unless he was here illegally. Perhaps that is why he needs to marry to stay.

canajungirl

May 18, 2004
the sponsoree is responsible for the person they sponsored from the time he/she obtain their PR (permanent residency)card, not necessarily from the date they landed. Prior to 2002 then it is 10 yrs or after 2002 3 yrs.

Nelly

Bronze
Jan 1, 2002
Sponsorship - Not to be entered into lightly.

As a sponsor, you undertake to provide all basic requirements to the sponsored person: food, clothing, shelter, fuel, utilities, household supplies, personal requirements, and other goods and services including dental care, eye care and other health needs not provided by public health care.

You undertake that the sponsored person will not have to apply for social assistance.

For a spouse, the period of undertaking begins the day on which the sponsored person enters Canada with a temporary resident permit, or if already in Canada, on the day on which the sponsored person obtains a temporary resident permit following an application to remain in canada as a Permanent Resident, and in any other case on the day on which the sponsored person becomes a permanent resident (I assume that is date of landing).

The undertaking remains in effect no matter what happens in your life such as divorce, job change, unemployment, returning to school, etc. It is unconditional and cannot be terminated. If the sponsor does not provide the promised support, the sponsored person can take legal action against the sponsor.

If you default, and the sponsored person goes on social assistance, the sponsor is required to repay the government. This becomes a debt and the goverment can pursue the debt under the normal collection process including wage garnishment. However, the government may choose not to take action against the sponsor if the default is the result of abuse or in other circumstances. They reserve the right to take action against you at a later date to collect on the sums owed.

The sponsored person also agrees that they will "make every reasonable effort to provide for their own basic requirements", but that is it. There are no other obligations placed on the sponsored person.

Unless entered into jointly, the sponsor is not responsible for any debts incurred by the sponsored person to any party except the government.

And finally, you cannot enter Canada on a sponsorship that has been obtained on a fraudulent basis. If you can prove that the person entered into a fradulent relationship with you solely for the purpose of entering Canada, you may have a case for their deportation.

Last edited:

Gero

Jul 26, 2005
pride21 said:
Then why does he need to marry for sponsorship at all? He's been here 4 years.
Sorry for all the questions, but we've been waiting four days for his lawyer to get back to us, and I would like to figure this out :)

Am I right in understanding from your question that he has not married his sponsor yet?

There is no reason why he should need to marry for sponsorship if he has already been here for 4 years, unless he is here illegally. And if he needs to marry to stay here, why is he marrying one person and then divorcing to marry a second person? Something doesn't seem quite right. And the first wife (sponsor) is taking a huge risk, especially if the plan is to get divorced fairly soon after he gets his residency so that he can marry another. The government might view this as fraud and charge both parties. They may even deport the sponsoree.

Oh and, he shouldn't need to marry anyway, because with the changes to the immigration laws in 2002, applicants only need to be a common-law or conjugal couple. There is no requirement to marry. However, all the terms and conditions of the sponsorship still apply.

Last edited:

AnnaC

Gold
Jan 2, 2002
I don't think we have the whole story here but perhaps he's trying to stay under the new law that came out in Feb. 2005

http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/sponsor/faq-spouse.html

Here's one of the questions on the site:

Q4: Doesn?t this policy encourage relationships of convenience?

Relationships of convenience are not tolerated. Individuals found not to be in a bona fide (genuine) relationship will be removed from Canada.