Do Not Use Hotel Phones!

La Profe_1

Moderator: Daily Headline News, Travel & Tourism
Oct 15, 2003
No, if your cell phone is CDMA, it can be activated with either Codetel, Tricom or Centennial. If it is an old cell phone, one which you are not using in your home country - no problem at all. Just take it and your ID to a store that services one of the three (Codetel has the best coverage) and get it activated with a local number.

If it is the same phone you use in your own country, when you get it activated, make certain that they activate it on NAM 2. If not, the activation in the DR will overwrite the programming for activation in your home country.

Feb 7, 2007
Shark, no, CDMA phone will not work on Orange. But you might be able to get a Claro CDMA activation (it's secondary activation to your peimary one) on the same phone without compromising your Canadian service. Basically, each CDMA phone can have two providers programmed in. That way you should be able to get a cell cervice here. You buy Claro activation for 290 pesos.
Or you can just buy a used cellphone for 600 pesos with airtime in calle Duarte in Santo Domingo.

mattm

Feb 28, 2007
No it is not this hotel nor is it a "cell rental service". It is a special VOIP enabled phone that comes pre loaded with long distance time and operates on a closed wireless connection.

We also offer internet cafe services if they do not exist already.

We are currently operating in the Fun Royale Fun Tropicale resort in Playa Dorada.

I am not at liberty to say who is contracted for installation.

Ah. So your service requires the resort be blanketed with WiFi and uses VOIP/Wifi stacks in phones like some of the new Nokias.

Have fun with some of the larger resorts...

Sharkyitis

Aug 2, 2007
Shark, no, CDMA phone will not work on Orange. But you might be able to get a Claro CDMA activation (it's secondary activation to your peimary one) on the same phone without compromising your Canadian service. Basically, each CDMA phone can have two providers programmed in. That way you should be able to get a cell cervice here. You buy Claro activation for 290 pesos.
Or you can just buy a used cellphone for 600 pesos with airtime in calle Duarte in Santo Domingo.

I am going to be in the Punta Cana/Veron area - where can I puchase a used cell phone there?

harrydr

On Vacation
Dec 12, 2006
in this day and age

Who in the world would ever use a hotel phone except for calling the front desk?

Anyone traveling to a different counrty should research communication options before being burned.

It's really that easy.

butterer

Jan 22, 2005
planner iam going to punta cana jan 29th for one week from canada, can u tell me where i could buy a cell phone and international minutes as i will need to be in constant contact with my business, or if anyone else knows please email me at butterer0923@yahoo.ca

davethebodyguard

Sep 3, 2009
I bought myself a Claro phone it was cheap and did the job but the last day it ran out of minutes and I made a collect call that cost me $10 at the hotel for connection. Caribe Club princess.
Using a Bell phone for Canadians is not good either our plane was delayed and I called on my Bell cell and 7 minutes in 3 calls cost me $53 in roaming charges.