Do You Ever Bark at Locals?

Status
Not open for further replies.

the gorgon

Platinum
Sep 16, 2010
Things are very different from when most of us grew up. Social media playing a big role especially here in the DR. My spouse was just saying when he was growing up here that the kids in the neighborhood would be out playing ball, riding bikes, etc.. Now a days kids sit around scrolling through social media all day. You can be the best parent you can be but once your child goes out the front door you can only hope that he remembers what was taught at home. Some adult and young adult men never grow out of the "wanna be a thug" mentality here. Gun hanging in the waist of their pants,etc... Common sense and social skills are something they have never heard of.

Seems like the Cobra had a very busy day... Good for you for throwing the garbage back where it came from. You did what many of us would love to do but are hesitant to do it.

i simply stated to people who posted that they would consider doing something like that, to always bear in mind that some day you might end up in a different island, and they are not all the same. you might get away with that in the DR, but in a place like some other caribbean islands it would get you shot.

keepcoming

Moderator - Living & General Stuff
May 25, 2011
i simply stated to people who posted that they would consider doing something like that, to always bear in mind that some day you might end up in a different island, and they are not all the same. you might get away with that in the DR, but in a place like some other caribbean islands it would get you shot.

Agree, and given in other situations you may not be able to get away with it in the DR. When doing those acts you never know how the other person/people may react. That is probably why many would be hesitant to do something like that.

Caonabo

LIFE IS GOOD
Sep 27, 2017

Your position is correct, yet the RD should not be excluded from the equation. Those that profess otherwise are truly unperceptive to the realities that currently surround them.

Dr_Taylor

Oct 18, 2017
Yes, I did once. I took the gf, her sons, and a few others to the National Aquarium. Thereafter, I paid for ice cream. One of the young people threw the ice cream wrapper down a slope. I gave a tongue lashing on throwing trash into the street, and asked him if he liked his country clean. Since he could not climb into the slope--I tried to help him down :squareeye--and get out, I jumped in and got the wrapper. It took me quite a few minutes to climb out. Last, I gave him the wrapper and told him to put it in the trash. He did. I asked him why should I respect his country if he does not.

the gorgon

Platinum
Sep 16, 2010
Your position is correct, yet the RD should not be excluded from the equation. Those that profess otherwise are truly unperceptive to the realities that currently surround them.

you are absolutely right. there are some Dominican guys rolling around in jeepetas with blacked out windows. they are not to be toyed with. bad things can happen.

cobraboy

Pro-Bono Demolition Hobbyist
Jul 24, 2004
You are totally incorrect to assume some are "unperceptive" to their surroundings.

Maybe you are. Others maybe not so much.

And the DR is not "some other island" where uncivilized savages shoot over garbage correction or a being busted over a handicapped space.

There is nothiong wrong with selective barking.

SantiagoDR

The "REAL" SantiagoDR
Jan 12, 2006
You are totally incorrect to assume some are "unperceptive" to their surroundings.

And the DR is not "some other island" where uncivilized savages shoot over garbage correction or a being busted over a handicapped space.

Case in point:

The off-duty police officer that was shot and killed because he said something to someone that was taking a wiz in the street. The guy pulled a gun and killed the out of uniform police officer.

Not positive, but I believe that was in Santiago.

Caonabo

LIFE IS GOOD
Sep 27, 2017

Just because I have a difference of opinion than you, does not make me incorrect. Most of your assertations are based upon falsehoods, not reality. This seems to be a trend of yours, not just on this thread, but others as well. I do not know if you are seeking attention, but if you truly disagree with me at every turn, than please just bypass my contributions, and continue along the path you are seeking. You can leave me out of your confrontational chatter.

Caonabo

LIFE IS GOOD
Sep 27, 2017

This coming from an individual that repeatedly identifies himself as being "a large human", and "part of what makes the Dominican Republic tick." Is there are any other person more besotted with his own self? Having a bad day is one matter, attempting to lead others down a path that may result in harm to them at some point in time is a completely different matter. I stand by my previously contributed statements. Have a pleasant day.

Caonabo

LIFE IS GOOD
Sep 27, 2017
you are absolutely right. there are some Dominican guys rolling around in jeepetas with blacked out windows. they are not to be toyed with. bad things can happen.

Another factor that should be taken into consideration is the lack of systems, or shall I say controls in place to treat mental health disorders within the RD. This is neither Europe, nor North America where standards and protocalls are in place and can be easily accessed. Although not guaranteed to be successful 100% of the time, they are better than nothing at all. Add on possible alcohol or substance abuse problems, and you just never know who the person you are interacting with may become.

cobraboy

Jul 24, 2004
Most of your assertations are based upon falsehoods, not reality.
Incorrect.

They are based on 10 years of experience all over the Dominican Republic, not sequesterted in a tourist area.

To say I am "leading" others into trouble is absurd.

cobraboy

Jul 24, 2004
Having a bad day is one matter, attempting to lead others down a path that may result in harm to them at some point in time is a completely different matter.
Hardly a "bad day." In fact, a good day.

And clearly I said "selective." You must have missed that part. I also said I was not looking for trouble, and I was not; it came to me. I stopped a kid from kicking a puppy. I corrected a concho throwing garbage onto the street---twice. I pointed out to punks they should not park in handicapped spaces. Cripes, you guys make it sound like I busted up a drug deal in your GF's barrio with ninja moves.

But opinions vary. Some would rather not ever get involved, even in the states, heaven forbid there could be even a sliver of risk to stand up for something positive. Others try to make a difference.

We all get to choose our path.

cobraboy

Jul 24, 2004
Another factor that should be taken into consideration is the lack of systems, or shall I say controls in place to treat mental health disorders within the RD. This is neither Europe, nor North America where standards and protocalls are in place and can be easily accessed. Although not guaranteed to be successful 100% of the time, they are better than nothing at all. Add on possible alcohol or substance abuse problems, and you just never know who the person you are interacting with may become.
This could be anywhere on the planet, including the US...where the Baker Act has limited effectiveness.

Cdn_Gringo

Gold
Apr 29, 2014
I think that most adults are able to evaluate the situation, the location, the time of day, the number of other people around and apply a little common sense before they decide to correct the actions of others. I also think that most adults understand the times in which they live - most people initially react negatively to correction by others and in particular strangers.

So if one is inclined to "bark" they also should be prepared to bite as even the best assessed situation can turn south without warning. It comes down to how important addressing the infraction is to you at the time. Sometimes it may not be worth the time, effort or risk, other times it may be. There is always an element of uncertainty in confrontation.

cobraboy

Jul 24, 2004
I think that most adults are able to evaluate the situation, the location, the time of day, the number of other people around and apply a little common sense before they decide to correct the actions of others. I also think that most adults understand the times in which they live - most people initially react negatively to correction by others and in particular strangers.

So if one is inclined to "bark" they also should be prepared to bite as even the best assessed situation can turn south without warning. It comes down to how important addressing the infraction is to you at the time. Sometimes it may not be worth the time, effort or risk, other times it may be. There is always an element of uncertainty in confrontation.
Key word: "selective."

Not all "confrontations" end up in WWF steel cage match violence. It can be as subtle as the evil eye to a line-breaker. There are differing levels for differing situations. And one can always walk away if great resistance is met.

SantiagoDR

The "REAL" SantiagoDR
Jan 12, 2006
.... And one can always walk away if great resistance is met.

Only "Superman" is faster then a speeding bullet.

2hnbdc5.jpg

Bronxboy

Jul 11, 2007

I think the above post says it all.

CLOSED.

Status
Not open for further replies.