Do you regret moving to the Dominican Republic?

Do you regret moving to the Dominican Republic?

• Total voters

the gorgon

Platinum
Sep 16, 2010
Unfortunately, too many Dominicans mistake kindness and decency for weakness which I will never understand. I do however enjoy seeing the look on their faces when they understand that they were dead wrong especially when the lies that typically follow this discovery falls on deaf ears.

Dominicans are renowned for really primitive little tiguere tricks, which they try over and over. it is like chicas who tell you they need money, because momma is sick, and they have to get medicine. that is as old as time.

went to a Dominican club in NYC once. gave the guy a 20 dollar bill for a cuba libre, and he gave me 5 dollars change. i asked him how a cuba libre could cost 15 bucks. he said it was 5 bucks, and that i had given him 10. i told him that i had just gotten the money from the ATM across the street, which did not dispense 10 dollar bills. i got nowhere, and gave up. i told my cop friend, and two weeks later i went back with him. he stayed in the car, and i ordered a drink. the guy pulled the same crap, even to the point of accusing me of having tried the same trick two weeks before. so, i went outside, told my friend, and he produced his shield and demanded that the guy count the till. suddenly, his memory got real fresh. he oddly enough remembered that i did give him 20..

jstarebel

Silver
Oct 4, 2013
Dominicans are renowned for really primitive little tiguere tricks, which they try over and over. it is like chicas who tell you they need money, because momma is sick, and they have to get medicine. that is as old as time.

went to a Dominican club in NYC once. gave the guy a 20 dollar bill for a cuba libre, and he gave me 5 dollars change. i asked him how a cuba libre could cost 15 bucks. he said it was 5 bucks, and that i had given him 10. i told him that i had just gotten the money from the ATM across the street, which did not dispense 10 dollar bills. i got nowhere, and gave up. i told my cop friend, and two weeks later i went back with him. he stayed in the car, and i ordered a drink. the guy pulled the same crap, even to the point of accusing me of having tried the same trick two weeks before. so, i went outside, told my friend, and he produced his shield and demanded that the guy count the till. suddenly, his memory got real fresh. he oddly enough remembered that i did give him 20..

Funny, he figured you for an easy mark. Worked once, surely it would again. I gave a barrio kid a baseball bat during Xmas. They were playing with a stick. This same kid had his hand in my pocket trying to steal from me. Had him by the nap of his neck and took him home to papa. Papa got angry with me. I couldn't believe it.

Mauricio

Gold
Nov 18, 2002

Funny thing is they often think they are very elaborate scams.

the gorgon

Platinum
Sep 16, 2010
Funny thing is they often think they are very elaborate scams.

that is exactly why they try them over and over. the commonest one i remember is that you would go to a club, and order a round of drinks. they would ask to be paid right as you were served, which is justifiable, because too many dishonest cats would skip out on the bill. what they would do is to take forever to return the change, hoping you would forget it and leave without it. sometimes they would tell you that you already got it. they have every medieval scam you can think of. it is just like the motoconcho guy who never has change for 50 pesos..i have no change for your 35 peso ride, so let me keep the 50..

SantiagoDR

The "REAL" SantiagoDR
Jan 12, 2006

Why make your life so complicated?

Much simpler to just make sure you have $5 bills when you go out drinking
-or-
simply specify to the server that it´s a $20 bill you are handing to them.

the gorgon

Platinum
Sep 16, 2010
Why make your life so complicated?

Much simpler to just make sure you have $5 bills when you go out drinking
-or-
simply specify to the server that it´s a $20 bill you are handing to them.

i should not have to do either of those things. if i go into Starbucks, i dont have to tell the waitress that i just gave her a 20 dollar bill.

SantiagoDR

The "REAL" SantiagoDR
Jan 12, 2006
i should not have to do either of those things. if i go into Starbucks, i dont have to tell the waitress that i just gave her a 20 dollar bill.

There is no comparison to a BAR and STARBUCKS.

The waiter(ess) at a bar waits on many customer at the same time and with great complexity.

The waiter(ess) at Starbucks is in a more controllable arena, they are not walking table to table with other customers constantly interrupting them for attention.

My point:

Sometimes we need to adapt to the surrounding instead of making a federal case about it.

You express an inability or willingness to bend in the least to adapt.

Anyway, back to on topic, this is the poll forum.

the gorgon

Platinum
Sep 16, 2010
There is no comparison to a BAR and STARBUCKS.

The waiter(ess) at a bar waits on many customer at the same time and with great complexity.

The waiter(ess) at Starbucks is in a more controllable arena, they are not walking table to table with other customers constantly interrupting them for attention.

My point:

Sometimes we need to adapt to the surrounding instead of making a federal case about it.

You express an inability or willingness to bend in the least to adapt.

Anyway, back to on topic, this is the poll forum.

actually, i was one of three customers in the bar the first time it happened, and one of two the second. i dont think that describing an event in which someone tried to rob me is exactly making a federal case out of it. YMMV.

Derfish

Gold
Jan 7, 2016
JUST A QUESTION ....why did you allow them to move in ?

It was her home to begin with and i moved in to her home. They were her kids, I, at the time i left, invited her to leave with me and we'd find a place without the kids, but she said she had to help her kids, I answered that I didn't.

AlterEgo

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
South Coast
maybe i am wrong, but i thought Dominicans in another country are Dominican related, if only by ancestry...

Yes, you're wrong.  This thread is about regretting or not regretting moving to DR.  None of the last bunch of posts even vaguely resemble that.  

zoomzx11

Gold
Jan 21, 2006
What I know of the poor Dominican males is "Marry my mother and then we can all live off you."
I was with a woman for almost 3 years, at first her 19 year old son was with us a limp wristed gay guy, I accepted him, then when I was supporting him his older sister moved in with us with her baby, OK she didn't have any idea of working any more than her mommy did, nor her brother, then later the older son moved in too. He had a job, but refused to help with any household expenses. I was the rich gringo all that was on my shoulders. Those are my experiences with poor Dominicans.
Der Fish

Every guy I know who married a woman with kids from a previous marriage has problems. I thought it was just me for a time.
After a few years of the kids I asked my Dominican wife one day if there was a time limit on the children living with us? "No". So you mean they could be 40 and still be in the same house with us? "If they want to". My wife is such a wonderful person they would be crazy to leave. The good part is she has them paying the electric bill, water bill, cable bill and from time to time goes shopping on their credit cards. Now its my turn to leave every light on in the house. Who does not love a little payback?

bob saunders

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
dr1.com
LOL. My stepson went off to university as soon as he finished university and has been on his own since. He is now 27 as of today and rarely asks for anything and would never live at home under the controlling mother or grandmother. Never had an ounce of problems with him. Good kid , establishing himself well. He lived with me from age 10 and got along well with both my sons.Just to make this about the DR I dont regret moving here but I doubt my stepson will ever leave Canada

Dominicanese

Sep 1, 2015
some a you guys made some good points regarding the helpfullness of people

i will def agree that in the city people are not as helpful as in towns, rural, or villages outside of the city in any place of the world. however, DR is a very poor country and ppl are still helpful despite the fact that they had to endure their life with struggle and no comfort, if it was any rich man or well off person they will flick you off if u ask for help with the simplest things that have nothing to do with money or shelter at all.

When i was driving by villas agricolas my car stopped due to overheating in ave juan pablo duarte in the afternoon with a ton a traffic, i have to admit that just getting out a the car it was a pain in the ass since they were pretty much blocking my way out of the car, BUT the people (pedestrians) in the area walking helped us push the car to a local mechanic/garage which by the luck of god was close by, and the mechanic fixed my car and we picked it up the next day so, it was a lot of help, i never recieved any of that in the states

RDKNIGHT

Bronze
Mar 13, 2017
How can you not love this Island... I love every minute of my time here.. never know what to expect or happen..