Do you think....

TropicalPaul

Bronze
Sep 3, 2013
I have good connections in the Ministry of Tourism and I know they have been very active since Irma trying to persuade cruise ships and tour operators to come to DR. And it seems to be working. They sent me a document the other day updating on cruise ship arrivals. There are already five cruise lines which will be coming to Santo Domingo for the first time - or at least the first time in recent years - this season, including Viking Cruise Lines, Tui, Thomson, Seabourn and Costa. The first of the new arrivals is the ship Zenith from PullmanTours which will arrive on 21st October to the Sans Souci port. Viking Sea will call for the first time on 18th of November and Thomson Celebration and Mein Schiff will both start their calls in December. Seabourn Odessey and Costa Pacifica will also call for the first time to Santo Domingo in December. These ships will join Aida's Aidamar, Holland America's Prinsendam and Carnival Conquest. In total there are now 52 cruise ship calls at Santo Domingo this winter, bringing 96,177 passengers to the city, a significant increase on previous years. Y ahora tu sabes.

Dorbeks

Sep 25, 2017
The simple fact is that the choices are narrowed and the DR should expect an uptick in tourists numbers. How much, how discerning the tourist might be is guesswork. You want a beach, warm weather you look at the narrowed list of choices.
If you want to talk discerning look at the big numbers that go to Florida. How undiscerning do you have to be to pick Florida?
Gotta agree with WW there are undiscerning tourists looking to warm up.

Agree with you!

Fulano2

Bronze
Jun 5, 2011
Europe
Do you think with all the destruction of a lot of the Caribbean islands that their tourists will flock to Dominican Republic in the high season?

Tourists don't choose for a certain region as a law. They might stay home or go to other parts of the world.