Does anyone have info on the big fire in Dominicus?

Derfish

Gold
Jan 7, 2016
Doesn't look like they have anything whatsoever. In the past it's always been the firefighters from San Rafael de Yuma, La Romana and Punta Cana that have gone. Last month their current mayor said he was working on getting firetrucks and equipment. I think he'll be getting a donation this year from Firefighters Without Borders from Canada if I remember correctly.

www.govdeals.com always has firetrucks for low prices. Our local community here in rural Tennessee just bought one for $8,000 from that site. Of course I have no idea how much the aduana would charge a local city for import duty on such a thing. But it would be something for the local authorities to check out.

De Fish

AnnaC

Gold
Jan 2, 2002
Any fatalities? That is my favorite area to vacay. Wonder if the resorts were affected?

In this day and age, there should be something as important as a fire hydrant to hook up to the trucks, yeez!

No one was hurt. No resorts were affected. Just the Cabanas and the gift shop.

The two restaurants next to the cabanas were able to get most of their stuff out and the structures are still standing so it won't take long before they open again.

Last edited:

AlterEgo

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
South Coast
You know after reading this thread ive never seen a fire truck here in the capital. Maybe i just wasnt paying attention.

There is a fire department/station behind the children's hospital on Lincoln near malecon, and another in Zona Colonial. Must be others, those are just the ones I'm familiar with.

Last edited:

KateP

Silver
May 28, 2004
You know after reading this thread ive never seen a fire truck here in the capital. Maybe i just wasnt paying attention.
911 fully equipped Santo Domingo with smacking new firetrucks last year. Unfortunately it hasn't spread to the rest of the country yet.

Sent from my SM-G800M using Tapatalk

KateP

Silver
May 28, 2004
www.govdeals.com always has firetrucks for low prices. Our local community here in rural Tennessee just bought one for $8,000 from that site. Of course I have no idea how much the aduana would charge a local city for import duty on such a thing. But it would be something for the local authorities to check out.

De Fish
That's where the problem is. Even if it's a donation coming in to be handed over to local authorities, it's still a pain in the behind. Cash here, other document there, you'd think they'd cut thru at least some of the red tape but nope!

Sent from my SM-G800M using Tapatalk

sanpedrogringo

I love infractions!
Sep 2, 2011
Thanks Im going out to look for it right now. Estoy abburido

When you're done looking for the fire trucks, I'll give you a tougher one. Try to find fire hydrants. The trucks look nice, but they are useless without a water supply.

alexw

Gold
Sep 6, 2008
NYC-SDQ BABY!
When you're done looking for the fire trucks, I'll give you a tougher one. Try to find fire hydrants. The trucks look nice, but they are useless without a water supply.

You know what? I have seen the fire trucks before(one rode by me today on my way to hooters) but ive never seen a hydrant! #mindblown

LTSteve

Gold
Jul 9, 2010
Another reason it may be time to consider other options in life:
"He explained that the fire trucks took more than an hour to arrive and that it was not possible to do more because there is no hydrant system in the area."
How many times have we heard of this scenario?

People in the DR are not preparred or equipped to handle emergencies. If you own a business make sure you have adequate ways to deal with a disaster. It's sad people don't prepare and wonder why it devistated the area.

kapitan75

Jun 3, 2005
It is too simple to design a gravity feed sprinkler system , and add another water tank on the roof. Why are building designers not considering this life saver?