does anyone here live in boca chica

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
I can't imagine anyone on this site living in Boca Chica. That would be like moving into the slums of any major European city. It is NOT the place to be seen.

Yes, there are a very few nice people there, but it is a cesspool of corruption with drugs, prostitutes (male and female), HIV+/AIDS and everything else you can not like.

Would I go there>? Yes, and I have. To seminars at a hotel that houses Judo meetings for the Pan Am Judo Union (or at least it used to.) ..But, do I walk the streets? Bathe at the beach? (Not since 1962) NO>!

Does that partially answer your question???

HB

RacerX

Banned
Nov 22, 2009
I can't imagine anyone on this site living in Boca Chica. That would be like moving into the slums of any major European city. It is NOT the place to be seen.

Yes, there are a very few nice people there, but it is a cesspool of corruption with drugs, prostitutes (male and female), HIV+/AIDS and everything else you can not like.

Would I go there>? Yes, and I have. To seminars at a hotel that houses Judo meetings for the Pan Am Judo Union (or at least it used to.) ..But, do I walk the streets? Bathe at the beach? (Not since 1962) NO>!

HB

1962???????????? you must be a billion years old!

Cibaeno

Feb 7, 2009
I definitely share Hillbilly's opinion 100%! Probably the last place on the island you should take in consideration to move to...

Sep 22, 2009

HB

Don't hold back HB.

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
Hey, I have to protect my curmudgeony image.

It is a shame, really. BC went from being Santo Domingo's Beach City to being the gritty, grimy, ugly underside of DR tourism. I don't think that the creation of the Multi-modal port of Caucedo did anything to improve the place either..

Sorry.

Our OP would be so much better off either further east or west of Santo Domingo, like Palenque or Paya..

HB

Rumble2005

Mar 18, 2006
Yikes HB. You sure know how to knock the wind out of the sales of someone looking forward to a great Xmas get away.
I hope this is not a case of the truth hurts.
My wife and I will be in Boca Chica 12/26 to 01/02. Boca Chica was not a preferred destination but limited direct flights from Ottawa on 12/26 dictated that it was Boca Chica or nothing in the DR.
Regardless of the bad press we will go with high hopes and hopefully return home still loving the DR and it's people :) .
We will make the best of whatever Boca Chica has to offer (I don't mean the seedy stuf).
Heck, if the temperature is above -20 C and there is cold Presidente it can only be so bad :)

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
Unless you have prepaid your hotel, I would suggest you pay attention to JD...he is quite knowledgeable regarding the South Shore area.

HB

Yayow

Sep 4, 2007
Although all the things that HB and others have said can be found and seen in Boca Chica, you don't necessarily have to be exposed to it, there are many decent people there, some real nice restaurants and hotels, and resorts there. One thing that I have found to always be interesting with this board is when one has a thing against a place no matter where that place is, they only see one thing, and shout about it as loud as possible. I call it the squeaky wheel theory.

I have gone on vacation to Boca Chica with my daughter, who at the time was ten, and may go again this Christmas vacation, when she will be eleven. We had a great time there, met many other families, which allowed her to make some friends and have other children to play with, of course I didn't expose her to any of the seedier sides of the town, and at night when most of the wildness would come out we were safely tucked away. I have also found that even the people who are dealing in the seedier side of things, tend to respect family and don't put in your face their activities. Of course if you are looking for the seedier aspects because that is your thing, you can find it.

I am sure you and your bride will enjoy your self on the South Shore wherever you choose to spend your vacation.

El Tigre - HIC

Oct 4, 2009
Photographer

HB

well you would be right if u say, boca chica is a whorehose, but is sosua anything better?

i`d say its even worst and here are many members who live or spent their vacaicions in sosua

sure no members live in boca chica? sure they just wont say it now?

Sep 22, 2009
well you would be right if u say, boca chica is a whorehose, but is sosua anything better?

i`d say its even worst and here are many members who live or spent their vacaicions in sosua

sure no members live in boca chica? sure they just wont say it now?

I like the girls in Soshua better

Rumble2005

Mar 18, 2006
Unless you have prepaid your hotel, I would suggest you pay attention to JD...he is quite knowledgeable regarding the South Shore area.

HB

It's a charter deal and the only two locations being offered from the 12/26 flight to SDQ were Samana and Boca Chica. I did a little research and determined that the ride to Samana was longer than I was willing to endure on a one week vacation.
At any rate, we will go to Boca Chica, we will make the best of it and will report back our observations.
My wife and I have been to Sosua over 10 times and actually love that little town. No, we do not participate in any of the seedy activities but the fact that they are abundant does not ruin our vacation.
It will be interesting to draw our own conclusions but thanks to HB and others for sharing their local knowledge. It is appreciated and taken into consideration.

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
Rumble: What the he!!, have a good time. I am sure if youhave survived Sos?a 10 times you will do well in Boca Chica. It is much smaller than Sos?a but the beach is fairly nice--especially since locals don't do much beach during our "winter" ....and the good old finger wag should be enough to discourage the beach vendors.

Can you tell us which hotel you got>? The Hamaca>>??

Cordiually,,

HB

Rumble2005

Mar 18, 2006
Unfortunately we are not at the Hamaca.
Again that was not being offered on the 12/26 charter from Ottawa. We are at the Don Juan which is just a 3.5 star and arguably a 3 star depending what you read.
From past experience we have found the primary difference in star ratings is food quality.
We have no problems throwing in the towel and heading to the local establishments if we don't like the resort food. I love the DR Sea Bass and the resorts seldomly serve it.In a lot of ways we prefer to do this anyway.
We have met some great expats in Sosua doing just this, that we remain friends with.
I guess it is safe to say we are not your normal fickle North American tourists.
We will certainly provide our veiws of Boca Chica upon our return and our comparisons to Sosua.
We were in Punta Cana in November and it was just way to remote for me. I really do need some real world envirnonment around and it sounds like Boca Chica will not be short on that, as seedy as it may be.
Again, as long as it is not -20 C and there is cold Presidente we will make the best of Boca Chica :glasses:

fernandodiaz

Mar 27, 2005
Unfortunately we are not at the Hamaca.
Again that was not being offered on the 12/26 charter from Ottawa. We are at the Don Juan which is just a 3.5 star and arguably a 3 star depending what you read.
From past experience we have found the primary difference in star ratings is food quality.
We have no problems throwing in the towel and heading to the local establishments if we don't like the resort food. I love the DR Sea Bass and the resorts seldomly serve it.In a lot of ways we prefer to do this anyway.
We have met some great expats in Sosua doing just this, that we remain friends with.
I guess it is safe to say we are not your normal fickle North American tourists.
We will certainly provide our veiws of Boca Chica upon our return and our comparisons to Sosua.
We were in Punta Cana in November and it was just way to remote for me. I really do need some real world envirnonment around and it sounds like Boca Chica will not be short on that, as seedy as it may be.
Again, as long as it is not -20 C and there is cold Presidente we will make the best of Boca Chica :glasses:

Well, I have to differ with the comments on here. Although I moved back to the UK in 2001, I will give you my experiences on Boca Chica. I moved there speaking no spanish in 1999 after an all inclusive holiday when I didn't want to go home! I managed to get a job in Don Juan (the hotel u r going to!) in charge of the Kids club and eventually learnt spanish along the way. For those 2 years the people treated me brilliantly. Yes, there are prostitutes on the main street-it's full of them at night but no-one bothered me. The guys tried it on with me but never forced themselves or anything. Just banter. I regularly walked back to my house I rented in the dark after the mini disco at night or got a motoconcho alone and people showed nothing but friendliness and kindness to me.
The beach is out of this world. I loved it, especially at around 7-8am...breathtaking, especially in front of the Don Juan. The sellers on the beach are pushy...u may need to give them half a dozen no's before they listen! I also ate regularly at Don Juan buffet and found the food to be lovely. In fact, I found the hotel to be excellent in general. It's right on the beach, the animation team do their utmost best to make the holiday a giggle aswell. Oh, and that was where I met my husband, probably whom some of the guys on here would describe as a 'sankie.' We have now been happily married 8 years and have 2 beautiful children so it shows it really doesn't pay to stereotype places and situations (although I do know the general ideas of sankies in hotels etc!) I visited Juan Dolio a few times and did not find it as much to my liking as Boca Chica at all, mainly the beach wasn't a patch on it for me-just my opinion.
The last time I went back was 2004 but we will also be in Boca Chica for 2 weeks from 30th December. My info might be a bit out of date but along with the robberies being discussed on here in Juan Dolio I would say you are as well off in Boca Chica. If I can offer you any more info please let me know.
Dawn Diaz