Dog Purchase in DR

Gabriela

Bronze
Dec 4, 2003
Because there are no shelters in the DR

My little guy would have died. He was just about to be run over by a truck. And there was nowhere to take him. I paid to clean up his parasites and worms--which covered him and would have killed him had he survived the truck. Vanity? I don't think so. Love is more like it.

Talldrink

El Mujeron
Jan 7, 2004
Amy: I said the way you 'described' the experience, trust me, I didnt mean anything by it to you. I know you are trying to help and your answers are well appreciated. You rescued a dog and are giving him a home, how can I complain? I meant that I would rather travel with it instead of having to ship it. Thanks for the reply.

Criss: Most shelter dogs are large and mainly untrainable (MOST - not ALL) I cannot have a large dog in my life along with 2 small children that need my attention. I'm looking for a small dog that I can train to be indoors and doenst need me there all the time (one that can get along with my cat too). I do have my name on various waiting lists in both NY and NJ in case a small dog comes in.

mainer

Mar 22, 2002
Talldrink,
We brought our dog in a soft carrier and put her under the seat in front of us. She traveled very well. We got the carrier for about 20 bucks at a pet store in Florida. There is a weight limit on AA for taking the dog in the cabin. I believe that she was supposed to be 20 pounds or less. She was nearly 35, but noone weighed her or even asked. The dates for being allowed to "ship" a dog in cargo on AA are Sept 15-May 15. We had a certificate of health from the local vet in the DR, and she was updated on her shots. However, not one person in Miami asked for her papers. I was able to carry her in my arms (in the carrier) through the airports, so she was quite calm.

We did not bring her back to the US because we were vain. She is my son's dog and part of our family. We were not going to abandon her in the DR, nor would we abandon her here.

Good luck with your search. And, again, if you are on the North shore, I would suggest that you ask Dr. Bob.

Edited to add: This is the first dog that my son has not been allergic to. That is why we got her in the first place. He likes dogs more than he likes people, so Wendy was a great find!

Mainer

Narcosis

Dec 18, 2003
Most airlines restrict animals from flying as cargo in summer months because of the heat in the airport cargo area, not in the cargo hold of the plane, it all depends on the route and airports that the animal will pass though.

I imported my English Bulldog from very far away at only 4 months of age. He made the trip very well. From the Breeder to SDQ he was on 3 different flights!

I would also refrain from buying dogs from petshops as these animals are only bred for profit which is wrong with so many "homeless" animals. If you fancy a pure-bred, only buy from a reputable breeder that is "selling" pups from his breeding stock and not for profit.

You can contact any vet here and he can arrange an adoption or sale of a dog if you prefer from someone who cannot take care of the animal.

antspants

*** Sin Bin ***
Mar 16, 2004
a very sad day

years ago, our breeder returning from a dog show had a crate, with her champion in it, fall off the mobile conveyor to the cargo bay - at the top. hitting the tarmac the door sprung and the dog darted. she was watching all this from the waiting area, the attendants wouldnt and couldnt let her try to recover the dog. the terrified dog managed to get off the airport only to be struck and killed by a car on the interstate.

i cant help myself now; i have to watch the loading of the plane.

antspants

*** Sin Bin ***
Mar 16, 2004
especially sad since ......

the bitch had just won Best of Breed @ The Westminister Kennel Club.
This happened at JFK but it was quite a while ago. AND still very sad.