dogs in cargo

marypearson

Sep 25, 2015
Travelling from Toronto to Puerto Plata - I have a small Rat Terrier, only 15 lbs but too tall to go under a seat. She flew in cargo when she was younger but she is old now, completely deaf, and I am reluctant to put her in cargo again due to the extreme temperatures. Every time I speak to someone from the airlines I get a different answer re temperature control. Yesterday they said it could vary from -3 to +30. The last time I took her I put a sweater and coat on her but when we landed in the DR, it was over an hour before I could get her out of the crate, and all that time she had the sweater and coat on in that heat. I have offered to pay for a business class ticket or even two seats, but they will not allow her in the cabin with me. I cannot ethically apply for an ESA letter (which Westjet will still accept). Does anyone have experience with a situation like this? Solutions?

irishpaddy

Bronze
Sep 3, 2013
Stand by your ethics .......and place your elderly dog at the mercy of others.....who might or might not be as animal friendly as yourself