Dollarization seems to be closer than close

ERICKXSON

Bronze
Dec 24, 2002
www.creambay.com
Before Hippo leaves the office we will have the mighty Green Giant running all over the place in the Dominican Republic, this seems to be a done deal.

I HATE HIPPOLITO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

NALs

Economist by Profession
Jan 20, 2003
Here is what is good and bad about the Dollars become legal tender in Dominicana.

Good:
1. Dominicans will stop dreaming. Most of them think that if they only had dollars, things would be much better. That is true as long that the legal tender is Pesos, not Dollars.

2. American tourist will have one less thing to complain about when visiting the DR - the exchange rate.

3. I will allow for American companies to move into the DR much easier and help the local economy expand. Some people see it as an invasion of economy freedom but hey, much of the stuff in Dominican economy originates in the hands of Americans anyways, and making the dollar legal would just facilitate the cicle's rithims.

4. Interest rates might or will collapse from the mind boggling levels they are today to more "humane" levels. That would make lending much easier, especially for dominicans with entrepreneural spirit but no capital to start. Notice I said easier to lend, not necessarily that Dominicans will pay back what ever loan they borrow - I got family members that borrow borrow borrow and they never have money to pay people back. However, somehow they got money to go to Santo Domingo from NYC for months at a time, go figure!!!

BAD:
1. Interest rates will collapse. No more getting rich off your interest deal anymore.

2. Heavy unemployment once most Dominicans working in Free-Zones realize the cents they are being paid in. It's one thing to see your paycheck in worthless pesos with numbers in the hundreds, its another thing to be paid in centavos. The feeling of worthlessness prevails, people demand more pay, and the factories will cross over the mountains into economic disaster Haiti. (That's good news for Haitians though, they don't have to put up with cutting Sugar Cane in the DR)

3. Everything will go up in price. Everything will match american prices.

4. The sense of being in a foreign country will be gone. At least every time you pull your wallet and you see Benjamins, Washingtons, and Lincolns while in a colmado in Jarabacoa, a department store in Santo Domingo, or simply paying the "Limpia Botas" kids a few dollars. Man, even that sounds expensive, a few dollars to a swiggy kid, I like to say a few pesos. Oh yeah, and one more legacy of the hispanic heritage evident in this country. Pesos are (or can be said to be) direct descendants of the Spanish Pesetas - thus the most hispanizes latin countries have pesos as their currency.

I do wonder something. Will dominicans get used to saying Dollars or Dolares. I mean, dominicans that live in the US refer to the Dollars as pesos also. I wonder?

Anybody have anyother ideas of the pros and cons this dolarization could mean for this Paradise?

gringo in dr

May 29, 2003
This country does not have the capital to switch to the dollar. Pesos will be here for a long time to come.

mondongo

Bronze
Jan 1, 2002
Dollarization is fools' gold. It has ZERO basis for optimism. It is nothing more than a placebo. Forget it, people. You're better off still believing that the Earth is the center of the solar system.

The only predictable outcome of Dollarization is that Mejia (or whoever is the next president) will be able to borrow even more money. Is that what you want?

Last edited:

Escott

Gold
Jan 14, 2002
www.escottinsosua.blogspot.com
mondongo said:
Dollarization is fools' gold. It has ZERO basis for optimism. It is nothing more than a placebo. Forget it, people. You're better off still believing that the Earth is the center of the solar system.

The only predictable outcome of Dollarization is that Mejia (or whoever is the next president) will be able to borrow even more money. Is that what you want?
Why will he/they be able to borrow more money? What are you using for a reference for this or just out of the thin air? Shit ass credit rating cant borrow money in dollars, pesos, or freakin green stamps.

It aint happening because they do NOT have the reserves so it isn't a possibility.

mondongo

Bronze
Jan 1, 2002
Ecuador, revisited

This is what Ecuador and the IMF agreed to when they Dollarized..

VIII. FINANCING OF THE PROGRAM

44. Taking account of already committed net external financing, the need to clear official external payments arrears, the need for additional reserves to build up the bank liquidity support facility, there could be an external financing gap of about US$1.5 billion (13.7 percent of GDP) in 2000. To meet this gap, the government is to seek exceptional financial support, from the official international community and an orderly resolution with private external creditors to achieve a more sustainable debt and debt service position.

45. Projected new lending from multilateral institutions includes an additional program of US$600 million over the next 12 months from the World Bank, the IDB, and the Andean Development Corporation (CAF) to support bank recapitalization and improvements in the bank supervisory and regulatory structure, or other quick-disbursing assistance.

This is the lengthy link:

http://www.imf.org/external/NP/LOI/2000/ecu/01/INDEX.HTM

Conchman

Silver
Jul 3, 2002
www.oceanworld.net
Politicians will never allow dollarization to happen. It takes away their tools to steal from the public. Takes away their means to print money for the debts they make. They will never allow it to happen.

Camachosoft

Nov 18, 2003
So.... what is best????

1.- Dollarization

or

2.- 100 pesos for 1 dolar in the next two or tree years???

The good or the bad things of dollarization depend on HOW THE LOCAL GOVERMENT IS.

santobonao

Bronze
Jun 3, 2003
www.telemundo.com
camachosoft,
if they come the dollarization to dr its can be more worst and the country will go down just like ecuador. or its can be better.

maybe dollarization will be good to dr or worst.

gringo in dr

May 29, 2003
They don't have the cash to switch to the dollar.

Plus they would have to come up with the "real" current value of the peso which I'm sure is no where near where it is being traded.

simpson Homer

Bronze
Nov 14, 2003
Dollar vs Duarte

Well I don't know how far it will go. but the politicians use as excuse "Oh we buy the oil so expensive" politicians doesnt realize its not Dominican people problems the oil price,

you are the president of the Island you supposed to know how to deal with Oil salers.

If to buy oil to United states is expensive then buy it to Europe.

Life in the Dominican people earn in pesos and when they go to the Super-market people expend in Dollar.

in 7 more year

1US$ = RD$300.00

by the way at the school they teach to the kids that we are having oil and gold. where are they? who owns that?

Homer

Camachosoft

Nov 18, 2003
well.... the calculated DEFICIT for the next year is.... RD$50,000,000,000.00 of pesos

the dollar will go up, and up, and up, and up, and up, and up, and up, and up, and up, and up, and up, and up, and up, and up....

cause eve people that DONT NEED dollar its changing their pesos to dollar... they DONT TRUST in the dominican economy right now...

NALs

Economist by Profession
Jan 20, 2003
Simpson Homer

Dominican Republic do have lots and lots of Gold. In fact, the Cibao is home to the largest open pit gold mine in the entire hemisphere. The only problem is that the private companies that are extracting it are making all the money.

There might be some oil reserves off the coast of AZUA. Why it hasn't been exploited? The government wants to exploit the reserves. The problem is that the oil companies (ExxonMobil, Chevron, BP, etc.) want to exploit it only if they get to keep most of the wealth. The government don't want that, the government want to keep what ever money is made from oil. Negotiations are still going and going and going and going.

And yes, I had that dollar idea. Why don't the government issue a new currency. Like the Nuevo Peso or something. Argentina did such thing and even though their economy is in some deep crap still, its a lot better now than it was with the old economy. I wonder.