dollars or pesos??

ricktoronto

Grande Pollo en Boca Chica
Jan 9, 2002
marylou22 said:
ok so i've decided. i'm bringing all peso's and 100 dollars. i'll keep em in the safe and use as i need em. if i need to change i will, if not - peachy!! ;)

thanks everyone for all your idea's and suggestions..

x

Let me understand this - everyone says DON'T bring pesos since you get skinned alive at the currency exchange places in your home country and just buy them on arrival at the airport or in town, so you are bringing pesos with you anyway? Why ask?

marylou22

Mar 3, 2005
ricktoronto said:
Let me understand this - everyone says DON'T bring pesos since you get skinned alive at the currency exchange places in your home country and just buy them on arrival at the airport or in town, so you are bringing pesos with you anyway? Why ask?

wow, someone is touchy. i was using the forum for advice, my understanding is that is its purpose no???? i came to my decision as a result of the replies i got on this thread. was that not obvious?

ricktoronto

Grande Pollo en Boca Chica
Jan 9, 2002
marylou22 said:
wow, someone is touchy. i was using the forum for advice, my understanding is that is its purpose no???? i came to my decision as a result of the replies i got on this thread. was that not obvious?

And wrong, is the point - the peso is bad enough now at 28-29 to US$1, why settle for say 20 to 1 and a $3.00 fee when in 5 minutes on arrival and in 2 minutes in town you can buy pesos at the bank rate as required?

That is the point of advice, actual recommendations from people who have done this a thousand times. I don't think anyone but you said bringing pesos sourced outside the DR made any sense - it was bring US, bring Euros ( though they sometimes rip you off locally on Euros), use an ATM or credit card.

marylou22

Mar 3, 2005
not that helpful actually

ricktoronto said:
And wrong, is the point - the peso is bad enough now at 28-29 to US$1, why settle for say 20 to 1 and a $3.00 fee when in 5 minutes on arrival and in 2 minutes in town you can buy pesos at the bank rate as required?

That is the point of advice, actual recommendations from people who have done this a thousand times. I don't think anyone but you said bringing pesos sourced outside the DR made any sense - it was bring US, bring Euros ( though they sometimes rip you off locally on Euros), use an ATM or credit card.

right so your advice is to not bring any currency with me just use my bank card? or bring dollars and change into peso's over there?? see that makes no sense to me at all cos at the moment €1 - $1.30 and its €1 - 36.5 DOP??? so how is that bad???? am i being really stupid here??? i don't understand the value of the peso. thats why i was asking advice. bloody hell, this is all so confusing. :angry:

Chris

Gold
Oct 21, 2002
www.caribbetech.com
marylou22 said:
right so your advice is to not bring any currency with me just use my bank card? or bring dollars and change into peso's over there?? see that makes no sense to me at all cos at the moment ?1 - $1.30 and its ?1 - 36.5 DOP??? so how is that bad???? am i being really stupid here??? i don't understand the value of the peso. thats why i was asking advice. bloody hell, this is all so confusing. :angry:

The value of the peso in this case simply means how many pesos you have to buy something. So, if you exchange at a good rate, you get more pesos, and you can buy more somethings. If I was in your shoes, I would bring some dollars and some euros, and have the bank card as a backup if I should run out of cash.

Simply exchange either your dollars or your euros to pesos at a good exchange house in the DR and you'll be fine.

Look after your cash and look after your bank card. Don't let this get stolen.

I also got confused looking at this thread - use a bank card, don't use a bank card, bring dollars, no bring euros, no bring both dollars and euros, etc etc. It is not so difficult.

marylou22

Mar 3, 2005
Chris said:
The value of the peso in this case simply means how many pesos you have to buy something. So, if you exchange at a good rate, you get more pesos, and you can buy more somethings. If I was in your shoes, I would bring some dollars and some euros, and have the bank card as a backup if I should run out of cash.

Simply exchange either your dollars or your euros to pesos at a good exchange house in the DR and you'll be fine.

Look after your cash and look after your bank card. Don't let this get stolen.

I also got confused looking at this thread - use a bank card, don't use a bank card, bring dollars, no bring euros, no bring both dollars and euros, etc etc. It is not so difficult.

thanks Chris, the confusion has lifted. i'll do that. thanks for your advice probably the most helpful i've gotten on this thread. thats what i'll do.

ta again

x