Dominican authors II, beyond Junot Diaz and Julia Alvarez

Tordok

Bronze
Oct 6, 2003
thanks Macocael,
You indeed have read my posts correctly. I'm just trying to keep perspective and not fall for romantic-nationalistic notions of excellence. All I'm saying is that among the global elite of writer giants there are no Dominicans. I'm not happy about it, but we've gotta confess that kind of reality, somehow. It is delusional to pretend otherwise.

It may very well be that in Merengue or bachata, the DR is numero 1, worlwide. .....Baseball we've got kind of covered.. .....actually if we think in baseball terms, then DR Literature is a minor leaguer with some skills but low batting average, little run production, and no power to play in the Majors.

There are many literatures in the world. The best individual works transcend their immediate habitat and some grow across generations. As a collective movement, literature can be part of a national tradition. Or not. The literature from the DR is unfortunately yet to set itself among those with the most accomplished and influential works in world literature. But I would never rule that out. In fact I suspect that its time may be coming soon. The so-called Dominican diaspora is producing quality stuff. On the island, I believe that as more and more people learn to read, more will learn to read judiciously, write more and -hopefully- think better; the eventual bypoduct of this slow cooking educational stew ought to be higher levels of culture and thus better statistical chances of having a stronger literature.

cheers,
- Tordok

macocael

Bronze
Aug 3, 2004
www.darkhorseimages.com
I couldnt agree more Tordok, a very solid summary of the situation as it stands now. The fact that reading is not stressed here is a big factor, and I agree with you that the influence of the Dominican diaspora in this area, as in other areas, is beginning to be felt and may in fact produce something stellar. I dont think Diaz, Alvarez and the usual names in this context quite manage to rise above, but more are undoubtedly on the way.

I am sure you know of anthropology's theoretical distinction between oral and literate cultures. I have always felt that this island evinces a decided emphasis on oral culture and for that reason you see a verbal skill that is quite remarkable at times. I have seen Dominicans learn the words to songs in a trice, even songs in foreign languages. A lot of the rural traditions are handed down orally, and when you look at popular religion here it is all orally based. An important figure in religious ritual here is the Rezador, and to talk to these people is just fascinating! I could go on in greater detail, but just for the purposes of speculation, I suspect that as DR develops and enters increasingly into global relations, opens itself up to more outside influences, it will start to develop a stronger literary or written culture and begin to lose its oral culture.

Tordok

Bronze
Oct 6, 2003
I agree that in the DR it has been only during the most recent decades -at level of the popular masses- that this transition from the oral to the more formal tradition of written culture has taken place. In other nations it happened much earlier in historical times and with different magnitudes. It follows economic development.

People often expect more from the country, but keep in mind that it had a very small population for many centuries, with most in rural/subsistence economic conditions, with a tiny elite of literate people. Still to this day, the critical mass of properly educated folks necessary to produce a literate middle-class and thus a more robust formal culture is unaceptably low.

The Dominican Republic lags far behind places with bigger and better educated populations, which despite persistent inequality there also, they have been much wealthier for much longer, like Mexico, and Colombia or Chile. All have deserving Nobel Lit prizes. Argentina and Uruguay have strong literary figures, have large numbers of middle-class, educated people. The DR is moving faster economically than those places, but its staring point was so low that it still has a long way to go to catch up with those nations. The same is true in literature.

- Tordok

macocael said:
I couldnt agree more Tordok, a very solid summary of the situation as it stands now. The fact that reading is not stressed here is a big factor, and I agree with you that the influence of the Dominican diaspora in this area, as in other areas, is beginning to be felt and may in fact produce something stellar. I dont think Diaz, Alvarez and the usual names in this context quite manage to rise above, but more are undoubtedly on the way.

I am sure you know of anthropology's theoretical distinction between oral and literate cultures. I have always felt that this island evinces a decided emphasis on oral culture and for that reason you see a verbal skill that is quite remarkable at times. I have seen Dominicans learn the words to songs in a trice, even songs in foreign languages. A lot of the rural traditions are handed down orally, and when you look at popular religion here it is all orally based. An important figure in religious ritual here is the Rezador, and to talk to these people is just fascinating! I could go on in greater detail, but just for the purposes of speculation, I suspect that as DR develops and enters increasingly into global relations, opens itself up to more outside influences, it will start to develop a stronger literary or written culture and begin to lose its oral culture.

macocael

Bronze
Aug 3, 2004
www.darkhorseimages.com
Tordok said:
People often expect more from the country, but keep in mind that it had a very small population for many centuries, with most in rural/subsistence economic conditions, with a tiny elite of literate people. Still to this day, the critical mass of properly educated folks necessary to produce a literate middle-class and thus a more robust formal culture is unacceptably low.

The Dominican Republic lags far behind places with bigger and better educated populations, which despite persistent inequality there also, they have been much wealthier for much longer, like Mexico, and Colombia or Chile. All have deserving Nobel Lit prizes. Argentina and Uruguay have strong literary figures, have large numbers of middle-class, educated people. The DR is moving faster economically than those places, but its staring point was so low that it still has a long way to go to catch up with those nations. The same is true in literature.

- Tordok

Absolutely, thanks for expressing so well what I was trying to get at in the previous post. As to the small population over the centuries, I think this accounts as well for many other cultural features of the landscape that are unique to this island, and is one reason I am here documenting it all. Cuba and Puerto Rico are very different places in their way. I have always felt that the neglect of the Spanish toward this island and its relative isolation created a special environment here, which allowed certain cultural practices and tendencies to thrive at the expense of others. This is a complex thesis, inappropriate for this message board, but it is something that I think about a lot and hope to elaborate some day in another medium.

And as to developing a literary culture, all the other factors you mention are crucial. There is not yet a big enough literate, educated population or "critical mass" from which can spring such works, and there is indeed a lot of catching up to do. The inequality in itself is not enough to explain the difference, quite right.

Thanks Tordok.

Chirimoya

Dec 9, 2002
There are exceptions. 19th century Nicaragua, a backwater if there ever was one, produced Ruben Dario. The tiny states of the Eastern Caribbean have Derek Walcott (St Lucia) and VS Naipaul (Trinidad). Although the factors macocael and Tordok mention are important in nurturing talent, genius is just that - genius.

Tordok

Bronze
Oct 6, 2003
Chirimoya said:
There are exceptions. 19th century Nicaragua, a backwater if there ever was one, produced Ruben Dario. The tiny states of the Eastern Caribbean have Derek Walcott (St Lucia) and VS Naipaul (Trinidad). Although the factors macocael and Tordok mention are important in nurturing talent, genius is just that - genius.

Chiri, is of course correct. True genius cannot be contained by geography or culture and may occur anywhere at anytime. But that is the beauty of the randomness of how human talent may be distributed among human populations. And of how some peoples may excel in some areas and not meet expectations in others.

This should not however obscure the statistical chances that predict that better educated societies will always have much better chances of producing high levels of insight and talent in the humanities than societies with smaller populations and lower educational levels.

- Tordok
:squareeye

macocael

Bronze
Aug 3, 2004
www.darkhorseimages.com
I agree, Tordok, but I would also argue that there might be a difference between Spanish and English colonies -- the administration of these colonies was very different, and in all the English colonies I ever visited, education in English history and literature was stressed. The English pride themselves on their literary tradition and are quick to promulgate it. I suspect that the cultural environment for someone like Walcott was quite different from the environment that a Dominican would-be poet encounters here. Naipaul, now there is a very interesting example, but to discuss him would take too long.

Julissaassiluj

May 16, 2006
Good Evening...

I am new to this site and must admit that I found it accidentally while searching for names of Dominican Authors via Blingo.com...

Amongst the search results was this forum's posting and I felt compelled to read it in its entirety.

I was born in Dominican Republic and came to this country at the age of 3. I had since then visited every summer until my studies and later my career kept me away for 15 years.

During this time I have tried to stay connected to my language and heritage by reading books about the history of the Dominican Government and infamous dictators (especially Trujillo's reign, which fascinates me), watching ?Santo Domingo Invita? on Saturdays, and pestering my grandparents with questions about "Las Hermanas Mirabal"...

I apologize for the rambling.

I am posting a reply because I feel very strongly about the Dominican Government's lack of interest in improving the educational standards of the country. I pray that one day they will realize that educating their people is what will truly help them graduate from their third world status...

Unfortunately, the only thing the government leaders seemed to be interested in is filling their pockets with money and helping out their cronies.

My reply speaks more to the reason why there aren't more/any literary geniuses coming out of the DR...In 1961, there was a man who cared very deeply about my country and felt strongly about the need for education and he would have done a great deal for my country, but the racist and conservative regime of the ruling class kept him out because he remained a symbol of empowerment for Black Dominicans, including those of Haitian descent.

His name was Dr. Jos? Francisco Pe?a G?mez. I would like to share the poem that made me heart cry out for my country and for the death of a man who truly loved it:

Liberaci?n
Escrito por; Dr. Jos? Francisco Pe?a G?mez
6 de Marzo, 1937- 12 de Marzo, 1998

A los oprimidos y a los explotados, para los que moran en pobres boh?os, para los humildes y los olvidados son estas estrofas y estos versos m?os:

Peones que riegan la tierra infecunda con gotas de sangre, gotas de sudor.
A ustedes que oprime pesada coyunda y arrastran el fardo de horrible dolor.

Hermano sufriente que no desayunas y en harpas cubres la vil desnudez.
Ustedes nacidos en humildes cunas que, como yo, tienen oscura la tez.

Madrecita buena que ves tu chicuelo llorando tal vez por un poco de pan.

Seres infelices que por las calles van buscando el sustento, la paz y el consuelo.

Viuda pesarada, que la guerra imp?a arranco en mal hora el amado esposo.

Tu, novia enlutada, que so?aste un d?a con la paz bendita de un hogar dichoso.

Tu, Dominicana, que te pisotearon hombres, sin conciencia, tu nombre y tu honor.

Tu, joven valiente, que te torturaron por no someterte al Yanqui opresor.

Ustedes obreros, que la vida entera pasan devengando m?seros salarios.

Estudiante pobre, que haces tu carrera y sigues sufriendo el mismo calvario.

Infeliz labriego, que duras fatigas viertes en las faldas de la cordillera, y que no recoges las sanas espigas que cosecho el fuetre sobre la pradera.

T?, que mientras otros consumen champagne, entre mujeriles risas y canciones, agua impura bebes all? en tu caba?a, sin otra riqueza que tus ilusiones.

Tu, pueblo valiente, que el imperialismo atropella y hiere con negra maldad.

Rompe tus prisiones con el patriotismo al son de las dianas de la libertad.

???DOMINICANOS, RECLAMAD JUSTICIA, SACUDID LOS YUGOS, VENCED LOS TIRANOS CON VUESTRA VIRTUD. QUEBRAD LAS CADENAS DE VUESTROS VERDUGOS Y QUE TERMINE TANTA ESCLAVITUD!!!

I thank you in advance for reading my extremely long posting and wish you well.

Regards,
Julissa

Mirador

On Permanent Vacation!
Apr 15, 2004
Julissaassiluj said:
....My reply speaks more to the reason why there aren't more/any literary geniuses coming out of the DR...
Julissa

Julissa, that's exactly the problem, too many literary geniuses, too few political ones....

Julissaassiluj

May 16, 2006
Mirador,

I couldn't agree more....

Well, at least the government employees still have a job...
I am so embarrassed for Puerto Rico's government these days.
I work in the finance branch of my industry and have never seen a budget miscalculation such as that one..

J.

Bonao

Apr 29, 2009
Dominican Authors

I will not knock the little we have, Alvarez, Diaz you name it; I?m proud and appreciate that they?ve chosen to surface our legacy. Certainly, some of their works I find shabby and mediocre particularly because those of us who have children would prefer more historical content and better choice of word usage rather then whatever lingo is catchy.

My frustration is not just that we don?t have native writers; it is that the writers that do put pen to paper regarding the essence of our country are all ?gringos? who take an interest, do the research and tell our story.

I disagree with the following statement: "I blame the country?s poor educational system and sort of anti-literacy, anti-intellectualism mentality of its popular culture".

If you decipher this statement carefully it isn?t very accurate. It is not the poor, illiterate or dim-witted that have opportunity, means or access to education or media. Our country is quite abundant in resources and the elite. Why the upper echelons have chosen not to take an active part in the history and documentation of our culture is beyond me.

Oh, what I would do with a little money and time.

Marianopolita

Former Spanish forum Mod 2010-2021
Dec 26, 2003
Bonao...

I don't how much discussion/ response you will get from reviving a four-year old thread, however, the internet is an amazing tool that allows for such when people are browsing randomly for information on the web.

It's incredible that after four years not much has changed regarding my point of view in this thread and I think the OP (the original poster) who started it still has a valid point even after four years but so do you. I really liked what you stated thus I wanted to acknowledge what you said by responding because I agree with you as well.

IMO, Crisostomo's argument/ statement is valid in a very broad sense and that?s the way I interpreted his response at the time and now again four years later after re-reading it. I am still looking for Dominican authors from the island that stand out among contemporary literary greats in the sphere of great writers both Latin American and Iberian meaning writers who write in 'castellano'.

It does speak volumes when Dominican authors names are not even mentioned or used in (foreign) university literature courses as examples of authors who represent the island. I agree with you as well that Julia ?lvarez and Junot D?az are not authors who can be said to represent per se. First of all they write in English and secondly because of the length of time they lived in the DR.

I have read ?Yo! and absolutely enjoyed it, I also read In the name of Salom? which I think was okay (a three star rating) but it did not appeal to me much. I think it would interest readers who enjoy knowing and understanding more about some historical aspects of the country. I have four on the shelf waiting to be read: In the Time of Butterflies (which I know is one of her best in terms of reader enjoyment and recognition), How the Garc?a Girls Lost their Accents, Saving the World and a youth novel Before We Were Free.

I have read excerpts of Junot D?az' work and I cannot say it really appeals to me. Not to say I won't read any of his literature in the future but for now his books may be ones I will read in years to come.

I do believe in fostering a culture of reading has a lot to do with a country's literary output and the writers who represent. If the elite were to write since they have access to education, you still need have a broad base of readers and a nationwide participation would have impact. If the elite writes and the elite reads than guess what you still foster a limited literary culture which somewhat speaks to Crisostomo's point.

Dominican literature from the island is hard to find outside of the DR and Librer?a Cuesta's website is not the best for just browsing. Who are the popular contemporary Dominican authors and what are the popular titles? Once again, I can never think of any names immediately. On the other hand as an avid reader of Spanish literature I can name contemporary greats from other Latin countries who represent. This is where there seems to be a big gap. Argentina, Peru, Chile, Colombia, Mexico, Cuba, and Spain remain as the top producing countries. A few others have a token writer like Sergio Ram?rez who keeps Nicaragua on the map and is considered a good writer/ novelist or Edmundo Paz Sold?n from Bolivia who I am really getting into now or Santiago Roncagliolo of Peru who is well on his way to becoming a contemporary great while Maria Vargas LLosa and Alfredo Bryce Echenique definitely represent the previous generation. As well, Rodrigo Rey Rosa is a good writer from Guatemala and his books are produced by Seix Barral which makes him visible. I have enjoyed his literature since I discovered him in 2007 and Roberto Quesada from Honduras has potential although I have only read one of his novels.

One other key point is Dominican authors need recognition and to get their literature published by the good publishing houses like Alfaguara, Plaza & Jan?s, Anagrama, Seix Barral and Planeta because they have high standards and high sales volumes and this would help to disseminate good Dominican literature outside of the country.

BTW- I did try to read Carnaval de Sodoma by Pedro Antonio Valdez as mentioned in my post # 9 and it did not capture my interest in the first few pages so I decided I would come back to it. That happens every now and then with a few books I try to read. Usually on the second try, the book is readable and more appealing. Although he is considered a 'single' author, maybe he has potential as a Dominican writer from the island and already has the above mentioned book out published by Alfaguara.

-Marianopolita

Marianopolita

Former Spanish forum Mod 2010-2021
Dec 26, 2003
La breve y maraviollosa vida de Oscar Wao on Alfaguara

Ever since this thread was revived I have been giving some thought to Dominican literature once again and specifically thoughts along the lines of Dominican authors and their international presence. I mentioned in my in my post above and in many others that the publishing house is important and plays a key role for the author not only from a sales perspective but the expected writing quality.

Over the past few days, I have been browsing on Librer?a Cuesta?s website to see what literature is popular currently in the RD and what the locals are reading. In the Los Recomendados section Junot D?az? book La breve y maravillosa vida de Oscar Wao is on the list. I noticed the translated version of the original is published by Alfaguara (but only in the DR). This is exactly what Dominican authors need however; the version needs to be available beyond the DR. The translated version in other countries is by other publishing houses. The Alfaguara version will sell on its name alone.

30j0dqr.jpg

There is also one comment on Cuesta?s website which is quite affirming that the book is good and worth the read:

5/4/2009

- Muy Bueno

Por: Miosotis Rodriguez

Al leer estas p?ginas pude entender el porqu? de tantos comentarios y su bien logrado m?rito. Este libro es muy bueno y nos da un bosquejo de lo desesperante que pod?a convertirse tu vida bajo el r?gimen de Trujillo. La magn?fica forma de describir este c?ctel de personajes lo hace un libro particularmente entretenido.

Promoting Dominican authors and literature

The webpage for Dominican authors mentioned in post #8 could be a really good resource if the creators of the site keep adding to it and developing it.

index

Here is an interesting article about Junot Diaz? The Brief Wondrous Life of Oscar Wao. I realize as an avid reader I have to read this book sooner than later. I think it will be interesting for me to compare him to contemporary Latin authors today and not to mention read about this story that revolves around 'el fuk?.' El fuk? dominicano.

Dominicana On Line

-Marianopolita