Dominican Butchers - not for the faint hearted

El Tigre

El Tigre de DR1 - Moderator
Jan 23, 2003
That goat looks real good! Wonder if he had already taken out the larynx and liver to make one of my fav DR dishes - PIPIAN.

The ribs also look great. This will be the place where I shop.

For those of you who buy at the German butcher...when in Santiago DO NOT ENTER "la placita." There are a couple of butchers there. It's a huge market and it STINKS really bad. However, you get GREAT product there. From produce, veggies to meats.

M.A.R.

Silver
Feb 18, 2006
That goat looks real good! Wonder if he had already taken out the larynx and liver to make one of my fav DR dishes - PIPIAN.

The ribs also look great. This will be the place where I shop.

For those of you who buy at the German butcher...when in Santiago DO NOT ENTER "la placita." There are a couple of butchers there. It's a huge market and it STINKS really bad. However, you get GREAT product there. From produce, veggies to meats.

Is this placita the same as LoPedaje in santiago Avenida Valerio area? (word which probably came from El Hospedaje) hostel...since this was the center of of Santiago commerce back int he days....................yes this is where my parents would go grocery shopping........lots of fresh fruits and veggies and wholesellers of all other items at very cheap prices...........you can still go there but its very dirty.

El Tigre

El Tigre de DR1 - Moderator
Jan 23, 2003
Is this placita the same as LoPedaje in santiago Avenida Valerio area? (word which probably came from El Hospedaje) hostel...since this was the center of of Santiago commerce back int he days....................yes this is where my parents would go grocery shopping........lots of fresh fruits and veggies and wholesellers of all other items at very cheap prices...........you can still go there but its very dirty.

The placita is on the intersection of La Estrella Sadhala and La Carretera Jacagua. Right in front of the school called Liceo Mexico a.k.a. La Reforma. The barrio it's on is Los Ciruelitos.

I love buying there. When I'm in the DR and in Santiago this is my first stop for the day to buy FRESH what I want my aunt to cook for me for the day :cheeky:. When I was there in September I managed to talk a guy down from $110 pesos a pound to $85 pesos a pound for Guineas. I guess it's because I bought like 6 of them in one shot (had a large gathering).

NOTHING LIKE GOING TO A BUTCHER FOR PRIME MEAT!!!

Sep 19, 2005
......If the flies land on it it is good meat

Matilda

well Matilda, I have no idea how that notion got into your head!!!
flies will land on the worst peice of inedible meat there is as well

what i find amazing in the DR is that the flies dont seem to lay eggs on the meat like they do in america.

in less than a few hours a piece of raw meat will have thousands of eggs on it if left outside in the summer...but int he DR the roadside butchers have meat hanging all day!!!!!!!!...never saw any eggs even though I saw lots of flies!!

bad bad bob

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
I the ex-pat butchers are French and they will cut off all the skin and fat!!

now you mention this i must say i miss "słonina" - it's a chunk of pure pork fat nicely smoked to take it as soft as butter.
when drinking vodka russians often eat słonina.
unfortunately you can't but that here.
when i mentioned german butcher i was more after ready produce like ham and sausages, after all i buy raw meat in the supermarket and god knows where that comes from. but i am unable to eat dominican sausage - it disagrees with me a lot... :tired:
when i was a child we used to go to the campo where my grandparents lived, they always killed a pig and made they own hams, sausages, bacon and so on. even my parents can still do it themselves - providing they had a smokehouse. it is sad that i can't do any of this....

granca

Bronze
Aug 20, 2007
Hola Lambada, please tell me what herbs and spices you marinate in (THe meat that is!)

Lambada

Gold
Mar 4, 2004
www.ginniebedggood.com
Hola Lambada, please tell me what herbs and spices you marinate in (THe meat that is!)

I literally use whatever I have to hand (parsley, malagueta molida [ground allspice] whatever I have). The most important part is the oil (and wine!). I find the meat here very lean so what I try to do is get some 'fat' (oil) into it for taste. And the other important thing is - cook it in the marinade. You can use a frying pan on top of the stove with just a little oil, then pour in the marinade then add steak. Sear on all 4 sides to seal juices in, then slow cook. The only way I know it is done to taste (medium rare) is to cut it open, but I do use thick pieces of steak.

OK that answers the meat marinade. Never used one on me - probably take a bit more than a marinade to tenderise this old bird :).

M.A.R.

Silver
Feb 18, 2006
now you mention this i must say i miss "słonina" - it's a chunk of pure pork fat nicely smoked to take it as soft as butter.
when drinking vodka russians often eat słonina.
unfortunately you can't but that here.
QUOTE]

Dominicans eat greasy chicharron when doing the heavy drinking, they say it coats their stomach with grease and protects it.:surprised

granca

Bronze
Aug 20, 2007
Hola dv8, I got to know and like ?slanina? (little dishes fo accents on the a s) when I lived in Romania but there they sort of half cooked it so that the dripping dripped onto bread. I never mastered doing this. Probably the problem here in the RD is that the pigs are never big and fat enough. If you find any let me know.

Feb 7, 2007
we also have "slanina" (with no accents) in the part of world I come from (actually south of Dv8's place)

anyhow, i always thought that "slanina" was actually a bacon...or a sort of it... or vice versa, bacon a sort of slanina ... the "american bacon" is made form the pig fat as well...

marliejaneca

Bronze
Oct 7, 2003
OK that answers the meat marinade. Never used one on me - probably take a bit more than a marinade to tenderise this old bird .

LOL - Thanks for bringing a smile to my face on such a gloomy day!

Marlie

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
slonina is slonina - pure fat only.
bacon (boczek, in polish) is layer of fat, layer of meat, layer of fat, layer of meat. just like dominican tocineta and very different form english bacon.
in poland we also melt slonina and lard, add some fried cebolla y ajo and make "smalec". i occasionally make it here from the fat grilled out of tocineta stripes. lovely!

i see lots of mysterious meat pieces in DR but miesposo has no idea what they are and how to make them. i am a huge fat of "flaki" as well, in poland it's a soup make from cow's intestines cut to thin stripes. i also love home made blood sausage (or black pudding in england) but i have only tried the one from the german butcher (very good). miesposo says dominicans have that too but i am afraid the results of eating it may be even worse than with longanisa (instant detox due to a week of vomiting and diarrea).

just like matilda i love the tongue but i am fairly sure miesposo will not touch it with the stick :cheeky:
hmmm, one more thing my mum has to make when i go home. just 5 more weeks to go!

Matilda

RIP Lindsay
Sep 13, 2006
The tongue was fabulous and really easy to make. The only thing that Mr M had to do was take the skin off as I couldn't handle it but it made fab sandwiches!!!

pyratt

Bronze
Jan 14, 2007
I'm a big fan of Mojo Criollo, a Cuban marinade found in grocery stores here in the U.S. When I mentioned it in SD, nobody had ever heard of it.....Goya, Iberia are two companies that produce it..... grapefruit juice, orange juice, vinegar, garlic, onion, salt, "spices", herbs....I use it on steaks, chicken, shark and alligator meats....sometimes soaking in it for days!

Italian salad dressing works well on game foods....it'd be great with goat and does wonders on chicken and fowl.

The one thing I've learned about Caribbean cooking is using what you got to create great meal...(salcocho, creole gumbo etc)...look around your kitchen, make a base with citrus or red wine, play salty, sweet and sour off one another, add some garlic, pepper or "liquid heat" (picante) to "kick it up a notch" and grab your favorite libation while you wait.......you'll be surprised!

WebDev

Jan 1, 2002
samana.net
Mojo Criollo by Goya

I'm a big fan of Mojo Criollo, a Cuban marinade found in grocery stores here in the U.S. When I mentioned it in SD, nobody had ever heard of it.....Goya, Iberia are two companies that produce it..... grapefruit juice, orange juice, vinegar, garlic, onion, salt, "spices", herbs....I use it on steaks, chicken, shark and alligator meats....sometimes soaking in it for days!

Italian salad dressing works well on game foods....it'd be great with goat and does wonders on chicken and fowl.

The one thing I've learned about Caribbean cooking is using what you got to create great meal...(salcocho, creole gumbo etc)...look around your kitchen, make a base with citrus or red wine, play salty, sweet and sour off one another, add some garlic, pepper or "liquid heat" (picante) to "kick it up a notch" and grab your favorite libation while you wait.......you'll be surprised!
I two use Mojo Criollo, a lot on my BBQ meats.

On the bottle I do have, said: Made in Republica Dominicana

1cereal%20025.jpg

pyratt

Bronze
Jan 14, 2007
THANKS WebDev! When I looked for it, all I got was blank stares.....I knew Goya was more than a Miami based company. When I cook a pig, we dig a pit in the yard, soak the pig with mojo and keep it wet by wrapping it in banana tree leaves.....Mojo Pig is the best!