Dominican Cardinal Calls Gay US Official (Wally Brewster) a 'Wife' in Spat

KyleMackey

Bronze
Apr 20, 2015
This US Ambassador is nothing but a complete asshole. He butts into all kinds of things that do not concern him. Let him do his job and not try to change the Country. He needs to go to Siberia.

No ambassador should publicly condemn the country where they are serving. Legit issues relative to corruption you handle in private.
Obama visited Kenya and condemned their government in a speech not too long ago, which is funny considering his track record.

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
I agree that the Ambassador was out of line with his comment on visas and the Cardinal certainly did not turn the other cheek.

mofongoloco

Silver
Feb 7, 2013
I think CristoRey's point is not that he was or wasn't the first. He was the first openly gay ambassador sent from the states and I agree it was disrespectful. Why didn't Obama send him to Saudi Arabia? Why not insult our "so called" friends?

Alls good. I was actually looking for some old gossip about long dead people. It's what I live for. Cristorey es puro aplatanado, no?

drstock

Silver
Oct 29, 2010
Cabarete
the cardinal is a piece of manure but i am tired of this political correctness obsession. he is entitled to express his opinions.

Yes, he is entitled to express his opinions and others are entitled to express their disagreement with those opinions.

drstock

Silver
Oct 29, 2010
Cabarete
Lets send a gay man to be the ambassador to the only (predominantly Catholic) country
in the world with a picture of the bible on their national flag. Very insulting.

What does having a picture of the bible on the flag have to do with it?

Mar 1, 2009
When Lopez Rodriguez, makes a comment, many people are up in arms saying "how dare he stick his nose".
Yet when the person he, Lopez Rodriguez refers to as "Bob's wife" (they are married, so one of them has to be the wife) makes comments that are beyond the writ of his express duties, many of "those" same people say "K bueno k hablo fulano"....
Get the heck outta here.

LC

j&t's future

Bronze
Mar 6, 2007
This US Ambassador is nothing but a complete asshole. He butts into all kinds of things that do not concern him. Let him do his job and not try to change the Country. He needs to go to Siberia.

100% Correct!

The man is a first class pr1ck. I wish the Government would find a reason to deport him. The Yanks only sent him here to wind the Government up.

Chirimoya

Dec 9, 2002
Most of the comments I'm seeing from Dominicans online are scathing about the Cardinal. In fact, I've never heard anyone here say a good word about him.

DannyWings

Nov 17, 2015
Post deleted by moderator: Not DR related, and religion posts are taboo in regular forums.

Last edited by a moderator:

chic

Silver
Nov 20, 2013
He's known for these types of comments. For instance, he once said that women get raped because of the way we dress.

rape is rape after all....but somewomen really should have to pay a pretty tax...every day when they leave their house lookin like a million turnin heads everywhere.. stopping traffic

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
Wally attempted to make the point regarding the massive corruption in the DR using a poor method. The Cardinal got upset about it and now it is resembling a child's playground spat.

The massive corruption remains.

Cdn_Gringo

Gold
Apr 29, 2014
The motives behind actions are rarely completely evident on their surface. There is a reason why this Ambassador was appointed to this country at this time. There is a reason/agenda behind the corruption comments. Ambassadors are well briefed before they open their mouths and have a staff to keep them on script.

The Cardinal, in this instance is a buffoon. The Church's position on homosexuality is well known, but in this instance is being used as a club to beat upon someone who is essentially untouchable by any other means. Come on, attempting to deflect a conversation away from the indefensible position of pervasive institutional corruption, that is common knowledge and undoubtedly practiced openly by the Diocese here in the DR, is just stupid. It's unjustifiable and wrapping corruption in a cloak of religious piousness is just foolish. The corrupt are just lashing out through a proxy and I am sure the Vatican will be sending a note to the Cardinal shortly.

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
As an American living outside the country it kills me that I have to agree with you 100%. This administration is all you described with other governments AND with us its our citizens.

It is not just this administration. Bush/Cheney were just as bad if not worse.