Dominican Color/Racial Preference Findings

What do you think about the results?

• Total voters

Naked_Snake

Bronze
Sep 2, 2008
Just FYI ... the "one drop rule" was NOT created by Black Americans.

One-drop rule - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

"In the United States, the concept of the one-drop rule has been chiefly applied by European Americans to those of sub-Saharan black African ancestry in the aftermath of slavery, as they were trying to impose white supremacy. The poet Langston Hughes wrote in his 1940 memoir:

You see, unfortunately, I am not black. There are lots of different kinds of blood in our family. But here in the United States, the word 'Negro' is used to mean anyone who has any Negro blood at all in his veins. In Africa, the word is more pure. It means all Negro, therefore black. I am brown"

I know, it was created by Yankee Northerners in the 1830's, but the fact is that Aframs have turned around that form of identity politics created mainly against them, and ironically, are the greatest defenders of that form of identity politics nowadays, on account of the fact that forcing mixed race people into identifying as "black" allows them the numbers to keep their political clout as a separate bloc. It's all about numbers at the end of the day. For more info about this so called "rule", just look for the essays by the Puerto Rican sociologist Frank Sweet. They're very enlightening on that regard.

Major448

Silver
Sep 8, 2010
I know, it was created by Yankee Northerners in the 1830's, but the fact is that Aframs have turned around that form of identity politics created mainly against them, and ironically, are the greatest defenders of that form of identity politics nowadays, on account of the fact that forcing mixed race people into identifying as "black" allows them the numbers to keep their political clout as a separate bloc. It's all about numbers at the end of the day. For more info about this so called "rule", just look for the essays by the Puerto Rican sociologist Frank Sweet. They're very enlightening on that regard.

As someone who lived through the 60's, I can tell you more about WHY that happened than most. Trust me, I don't need to read about it. And, BTW, things have/are changing (not sure yet if it's going to be better or worse). Just do a Google search on "biracial".
:cool:

Major448

Silver
Sep 8, 2010
I meant to add that the opposite of that move would have been to effectively "divide and conquer".

NALs

Economist by Profession
Jan 20, 2003
I was going to create a new thread for this, but I think it fits well here.

The Ethnic Composition of the American Continent

Red = Native American (Amerindian)
Baige = Mestizo (Euro-Amerindian)
Pink = Caucasian (European, Arab)
Brown = Mulatto (Euro-African)
Black = Black (African)
Yellow = East Asian (Chinese, Japanese, etc)
Green = Indian (from India)
Magenta = Gar?funa (don't know what mixture this is), Zambo (Amerind-African), or Multiracial
Blue = Javanese (Indonesia)
Gray = Other Origins, Other Mixes, Not Specified

composicintnicadeamrica.png

This map was for a study at the Autonomous University of Mexico (UNAM), one of the most respected universities in Latin America.